+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: First baby - Public or Private - what are your thoughts?

I also wonder how much of the stats is because people are denied their choice of birth in the public system? I had a friend who was repeatedly denied pain relief when she wanted it.... And another who had to jump through a million hoops in the public system before she was granted a csect, with a date of 40 weeks, was so scared and .in denial she have birth in the back of an ambulance because the local hospital wouldn't take her despite it being a maternity hospital. Both women were very upset by their births...

I was very happy with the fact I was given choices when in the private system in addition to continuity of care, and not waiting hours for my appointments.

I would have loved to go birth centre but the programs are hard to get into, and have many restrictions on who can birth there. I know a few women who dont want to go to the birth centre in perth as they dont want to deliver at kemh if they are transferred out

**Mum, Dad, Big boy (Dec 08) and Baby girl (Feb 11)**

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default First baby - Public or Private - what are your thoughts?

I think by women initiated intervention she means that the women choses to have an epi, csection etc. 2 examples I have , recently a friend went into private hospital in labour but was so frightened due to previously losing a child, that she demanded a csection. Also, the public hospital in my home town does not offer epidurals. So there are variations in the stats due to our right to choose.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    I think by women initiated intervention she means that the women choses to have an epi, csection etc. 2 examples I have , recently a friend went into private hospital in labour but was so frightened due to previously losing a child, that she demanded a csection. Also, the public hospital in my home town does not offer epidurals. So there are variations in the stats due to our right to choose.
    Yep that's what I meant. In private you typically have a lot more choice. Plenty of women have an epidural in their birth plan for example, I don't think it's fair to automatically chalk that up to the private hospital pushing intervention.

Lol, this has really gone off on a tangent - sorry OP!

Thanks
    Reviews

I just checked that site again - The Hills Private (this has been Norwest Private at the new location for a few years now so not so sure about the integrity of the data) is listed as having the same normal vaginal birth rate as Westmead Public. So it's not really all that dire! Again goes to show it depends on your hospital. Having birthed at Norwest I can vouch for their pro natural birth approach. It was fantastic, can't wait to do it all again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I went private for my first 5 months ago and loved it. My ob was fantastic, I had bleeding throughout my pregnancy and preterm labour (stopped) at 32 weeks and my DS was born naturally at 36 weeks with no pressure for any intervention or pain relief. The care I received was amazing, my DS lost 400g in the first 4 days and so was kept in (he was jaundiced and also had phototherapy) and they kept me as an inpatient for 7 days instead of 4 pretty much so I could be with him. My hubby was able to stay with me every night too (it was encouraged and supported). I will definitely be going private in the future!

Thanks
    Reviews

If you want to deliver in the public as a private patient ask which OB deliver there. And there is so much talk about a birth plan some OB's encourage them so don't. if you have a birth plan use it as a guide for your OB for what you want but only as a guide it can put too much pressure on you and DH if nothing goes to your plan

Thanks
    Reviews

If you choose a public hospital (royal women's in melb) and do all ur care thru there as a public patient but u also have private pregnancy cover is there any perks u can get that wont cost anything extra? Eg. Can u request a private room at no charge?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by catrules View Post
    If you choose a public hospital (royal women's in melb) and do all ur care thru there as a public patient but u also have private pregnancy cover is there any perks u can get that wont cost anything extra? Eg. Can u request a private room at no charge?
    Nope.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Nope.
    Cool. Thought this was the case.

How likely is it that a public hospital will put you in a private room due to the risk of ur pregnancy?

My psychiatrist told me she would b recommending a private room for me cos I have a mental illness and irregular sleep routines/lack of sleep and stress can trigger my illness (bipolar 2). Will they take this into consideration?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by catrules View Post
    Cool. Thought this was the case.

How likely is it that a public hospital will put you in a private room due to the risk of ur pregnancy?

My psychiatrist told me she would b recommending a private room for me cos I have a mental illness and irregular sleep routines/lack of sleep and stress can trigger my illness (bipolar 2). Will they take this into consideration?
    I don't know... But I doubt they would kick someone out a room for you and it is on a first come first served basis. I could be wrong but how would they know when to reserve the room dor you.

I did get my own room though

Don't meant to offend but so you have support in place for after the birth because your sleep patterns will of course be altered?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast