+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default First baby - Public or Private - what are your thoughts?

Hi ladies.

I'm 10 weeks pregnant with bub #1. When I found out I immediately booked in with an OB as I have private health cover and I just though that I may as well use it as I'm paying for it.

I've been doing a bit of research and I'm now wondering if I should have put more thought into my decision.

I'm looking for honest opinions on whether you preferred private or public and why. If you had the choice again would you change? I am looking at Nepean Private or Nepean Public, so if you have specific experiences from those hospitals that would be great, but any general opinions would also be helpful.

I am concerned about the high intervention rates that I have been reading about in private hospitals. I'd obviously prefer a more natural birth if possible and am worried about being pressured into pain relief and other interventions that I don't necessarily need/want.

I spent so long TTC that now I'm actually pregnant I'm realising I'm not prepared or knoweldgable about my prenatal care and birth options.

I am seeing one OB tomorrow and another one in 2 weeks (booked with 2 in case I don't feel comfortable with the first).

If I decided to go public have I left it too late? Will a private OB deliver in a public hospital? Can you deliver in a public hospital and then transfer to private?

Please give me any advice, thoughts or opinions to help me become better educated!

Thanks
    Reviews

I might not be of much help but we went private and I'm so glad we did.

We had an issue at 26 weeks and had to deliver our sleeping angel.

Up until a routine appointment, nothing was picked up as being an issue.

It was a quick process, involving a million tests on me and then being admitted and delivered... If I was public I don't know if I'd have had my own room in such a horrendous situation, and if I didn't have my own room, my husband would jot have been able to stay, I'd say...

I think a lot of the decision weighs on personal preference and affordability... We had PHI and wanted the option of a more personal stay (which is the feel I got from Northpark Private) but going to a private Ob can add up also as some policies don't cover routine appointments...

I can definitely say next time around I'll be sticking to my private Ob and definitely going back to the same hospital (especially as I'll now be considered high risk ).

Sorry if I rambled!

Good luck with your decision making!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi!
    Congrats on your pregnancy....I'm sure you'll get a lot of advice as to which way is best to go.
    I always planned to go private as all my friends had so I figured 'thats what you do'. I added it to my cover assuming it'd take a while before I fell pregnant, little did I know I already was oops! So i'd never have served the waiting time and wasn't in a position to pay the $ without the fund...so I went public.
    At the 12 week scan it showed my baby was missing an artery in the umbilical cord (a 1:100 chance so fairly common) but means alot of extra scans/tests/follow ups. I could not fault the hosital I went to (RPA).
    I had appts and growth scans every 2 weeks from 18 weeks, majority of them first thing in the morning so it didn't interupt with work. Midwifes during labour were brilliant and although I have the cover I'm pregnant again now and have chosen to back to RPA as a public patient.
    I've had friends who've gone private at a public hospital and ones who've gone private at a private hospital...some good some bad experiences at both.
    I can't personal compare public and private but I'm sure plenty of people on BubHub can.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I went private with my first 2. Had very easy complication free labours and births, but the obs were very intervention happy and I think my labours would have been a bit more relaxed without them around.

I'm going public this time, as I didn't feel the need to spend the money this time. I didn't need the obs.

Thanks
    Reviews

Congratulations Bella!!
    I haven't actually given birth yet (40+4!) so I'm not sure how helpful I can be, but just wanted to share my thoughts.

We went private this time, because like you said, we spent all this money on PHI for that reason. It has still cost us approx $5k out of pocket so that firstly is one thing to keep in mind.

The hospital I have chosen to birth at has the one birth suite for both public and private. So essentially the care provided by the midwives during labour and birth would be exactly the same. They have been fantastic so far (spent last night in there after a long pre labour and nothing eventuating), and am very happy with their care.

My OB isn't amazing, but I'm yet to see him during birth when it really matters. I think my problem is not asking enough questions of him then kicking myself when he doesn't read my mind and tell me everything I want to know. At the end of the day, that was my choice of OB that has let me down there, but I have enjoyed being able to see the one midwife/doctor each appt, especially these last few weeks when I go weekly.

As materialistic as it sounds, the big clincher for me has been the hospital stay afterwards. Being able to stay 5 days in a room with a double bed and my DH allowed to stay is the deal maker for me. I get sooky when emotional and tired and I don't think I will want him to leave me. I also want to make the most of all of the info and help the midwives can offer whilst I can.

Only you can make this decision! We always assumed we would go private and to be honest didn't give public a thought. I have heard good stories of both and everyone has completely different experiences, regardless of what they choose.

Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: First baby - Public or Private - what are your thoughts?

I think it's best to research the specific hospitals, and specific obs. I went public with my first and it was horrendous, private second and loved it. the extra care saw my bub stop growing, and I was induced, however much less intervention than with my first.

If you have a low intervention ob and make your wishes known, I don't think private would mean more.intervention

**Mum, Dad, Big boy (Dec 08) and Baby girl (Feb 11)**

Thanks
    Reviews

Bump for evening hubbers' opinions

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I had DS through public and Im so glad I did. My friend went private a year before hand at the same hospital. The ONLY difference between us was that she was offered a candlelit dinner for herself and her partner while the baby was in the nursery for a while.

I was booked for an induction and arrived at the hospital the night before. The OB on duty (who I had never met but had heard good things about, AND was the one my friend actually chose for hers) came and gave me the gels and said "see you tomorrow morning for the induction". He was called back when I went into labour a few hours later and by the time he arrived DS was already born...all he did was walk in and say "geez, didnt even let me sleep" had a laugh, stitched me up and left. The midwives were the 'important' ones and the only ones there with me anyway.

I walked out the hospital with my newborn...........a year earlier my friend walked out the same hospital with her newborn and a $5000 bill.

IN SAYING THAT, I had a very easy birth, with no pain medication and no complications so I was lucky an OB technically wasnt needed. Obviously if you want to be cautious and know your OB etc. etc. then maybe private would be the way to go. I personally would go public again if I were pregnant and I also wouldnt care who my OB was.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

MinkyJ  (28-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I went public with a private midwife and it was perfect for us. Would definitely do it the same way again. I never felt the need to have an OB. The first time I saw one was when I gave birth!

Hospital was fantastic and didn't cost me a cent. And I had an AMAZING epidural lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a public patient for both pregnancies.

The only grip I have is that at my hospital u cannot have a water birth, u get put in a room with other people/newborns, ur partner cannot stay & u have different nurses/doctors all through your pregnancy but the actual care was fabulous!

U can also be a private patient in a public hospital which as I understand it means u get some of the perks, but not all of the costs.

If u want a private, natural birth find a hospital & OB who support natural birth!

Congrats & good luck!