+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Survival tips for first few day/nights without a dummy

Just wanting to know if there are any tips for going cold turkey on the dummy?

Long story short DD (19months) today lost her last dummy so instead of buying new ones I've decided now is probably a good time for it to permanently say goodbye
    Its only been in the last 4 months that she has become 'addicted' to it and now she uses it for sleep all the time as well as sucking on it during the day if she finds one about.

So Im just imagining weeks of horrible night sleeps and cranky day times so are there are tips, particularly sleep tips, on what to do to settle DD?

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Get a replacement 'comforter' such as a favourite toy or blanket and keep talking about the dummy being for babies and now she is a big girl she doesn't need one. It won't take long, a few nights, but don't give in

Thanks
    Reviews

My 21 mth old isn't allowed her dummy during the day anymore - it's taken about a month but she can now go to sleep without it during the day.

We are struggling to get rid of it of a night too - have replaced with a teddy but still no luck at night I will be interested in others replies too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks. Yeah Ive been trying to get her into have a 'comforter' but she has never been into cuddling anything so far. Well day nap #1 is going terribly, she is on 20minutes of crying with no hint of stopping even when I go in/am in there. Haha, I can see my husband will have to force me not to 'give in' as all I want to do is run to the shops and buy her more

Thanks
    Reviews

I know that feeling, my DD1 was over 2 yrs old when we threw hers out, but so glad I stayed strong. She asked for it for 6 months but in that cheeky 'lets see if Mum will cave in' type voice

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

Isabellabean  (28-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When we got rid of the dummies I got a few of those water filled teething rings and kept them really cold. My twins sucked and chewed on them.

I tried a little comfort toy too but it didn't really work for me. They did take a liking to a soft bunny rug though which helped a little bit. But the teething rings were got me through it with two of them wanting their dummies all the time. They seemed to want the sucking to comfort them. But because they couldn't have them in their mouth without also holding them they didn't become so attached to them.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dannielle For This Useful Post:

Isabellabean  (28-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Just don't give in!

My DD1 has just given up cold turkey and has stopped asking for if after 3 days.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to soon2bmumzy For This Useful Post:

Isabellabean  (29-11-2012)