+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 18 month old throws finger food on floor and refuses to be spoon fed.

Ok, so its not every time i try to feed her. But most lunch times and dinner times she is a nightmare to feed. I offer chicken breast pieces & vegges and a lot of the time she throws them. SO i try puree or mashed up food and a lot of the time refuses that too. She will bat my hand away and scream.
    Sometimes it helps if i give her a spoon of her own to hold (even though she isnt quite there with feeding herself) i can sneak a few spoon fulls in but not always.
    The only things i can really get her to eat, say 90% of the time are home made meatballs, home made chicken nuggets, raisin toast and cheese. But she cant live on just those. So thats why i am trying my best to try and get her to eat other things too.
    For a while she was eating vegge muffins i made, but now she throws them too.
    Is this an age thing? Because she used ot be so good. She would eat what we ate for meals. Then by about 9 months she became picky and difficult. Now 18 months old we are still having issues. I blamed teething, but it cant always be that.
    Any suggestions? Or should i just suck it up and be happy she eats well some of the time and just do my best on the tricky days? Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the suggestion

Thanks
    Reviews
    i have the same problem, i'll sit there persisting with her to eat her food. I have come to realise the less fuss i make about her eating the better she is, but after along day with a 11wk old as well, my patients can be quite thin and this doesnt always work. I make a big pot of mash veges each week and use these to top her up, I also give her a spoon or a food to hold in one hand while trying to shovel food in quickly.

Also i try to make sure i feed her well during the day, then by night time when the deviant, pighead little madam comes out, im not to worried about how much shes eaten.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 15mo is the same. he will eat sometimes but mostly throws food to the floor or refuses to eat... even spits his milk out now.
    no matter how messy he gets (like covered himself head to toe in wheat bix this morning)
    i let him feed himself, he uses his hands most the time but at least he is eating.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

We just had the same issue with ds 19 months.
    Turns out he wanted a fork!
    I bought some kids sized metal cutlery and would stab the food for him (while he was still holding it) then let him figure out the rest
    Seems to be working!
    Sometimes he just holds it and uses his other hand to feed himself, but if he doesn't have it, he cracks up!

Thanks
    Reviews

My dd has been doing this since 7 months! Only wants to feed herself, will only take yoghurt from a spoon. No answers here sorry