+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default WDYT of "The virgin gut" aka one bottle of formula does harm?

I've been having a rough time lately and I really feel like DH and I need to get out for the night by ourselves. DS is 7 weeks and exclusively BF so far, I would like to leave him with my parents, but I have trouble expressing with my crappy hand pump and even if I can get enough I'm scared it won't be enough if he's hungry and we'll be an hour away.

The virgin gut basically says just one bottle of formula destroys or alters the natural flora in the gut which can lead to allergies and tummy problems (I'm not very good at explaining in but if you google it there is heaps of info on it)
    So what do you think, is it a bit over the top or should I try hard to avoid a bottle of formula?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How long do you think you'll be away? Is there a reason you have to be an hour away from bubs? You could probably go out for 1.5 - 2 hours for a decent dinner without missing a feed at all.

My ds had formula in special care until he was 8 days old (in addition to EBM) but then was exclusively BF til 5 months when had formula for a night out. He had reflux and gut issues, but I don't think the formula played a role at all. Both me & my dh had reflux as bubs so genetically he was predisposed and he also had gut issues in hospital after a difficult birth and he wasn't allowed to drink anything for the first 48 hours so that wasn't the fault of the formula. As for allergies, he has none (and he's nearly 6 and dh & I have heaps of allergies, so he's done well).

My dd has formula top ups in hospital due to medical reasons in the first few days of life. When I left her for work (I went back when she was 5 months old) I was keen to avoid formula and expressed a lot. I didn't have one particular reason for it and I wasn't worried about the virgin gut thing. The issue was though that I had an electric pump and I could express enough for her quite easily.

The reality is that there are many, many formula fed babies out there and it's hard to tell a breast fed baby from a formula fed baby based on their history of allergies or gut issue.s There are plenty of babies of both categories with allergies & gut issues. The most important thing for bubs is happy, relaxed parents so I say go out and give bubs whatever is necessary

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It's a bit tricky to answer, as I think it's such a personal decision and honestly only something you can answer because at the end of the day it's your baby and your emotional well being etc that comes into play. Can you ask yourself would you feel comfortable in knowing that is a possibility (the disturbance of flora etc issues) as one person might think it's OTT as it's only a one off and your emotional/mental health important enough that the need to have a break and use formula outweighs the possibility of anything negative gut-wise for bub.

Others may think it's not OTT and that at 7 weeks, it is still early days in terms of the breastfeeding relationship and establishing feeds etc, and knowing that a breastfed baby has to 'work' very hard to feed that it may cause nipple confusion and issues there.

I guess you need to ask yourself do 'you' want to try hard to avoid a bottle of formula and if you do, what are your options apart from expressing and resorting to formula?

It's a tough one. I demand feed and know how hard it is to want to have a break from bub and the demands of feeding when things are getting a bit taxing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i do agree with the virgin gut theory, and have had to be creative in order to avoid using formula.

this blog has some ideas http://www.koraorganics.com/blog/liv...-have-a-break/

hope you get to have a break.

Thanks
    Reviews

Is there the option to take baby with you? At 7 weeks they are still so portable and sleepy, it sounds like it might do you all good to get out of the house. Back to your question, I personally like to exclusively breast feed and not add anything else to the mix for at least 12 weeks but that is what has worked for us. My kids have never touched formula (no need as I just sacrificed long periods away from them) but one had reflux and one has had leaky gut so I don't think formula would cause too many issues, I would be more worried that bub would prefer the bottle and make breast feeding issues surface, I'm not sure. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I do believe about the virgin gut and that one bottle of formula can do harm. Like Pp suggested, I would be going out between feeds.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Personally at 7 weeks old I wouldn't be giving my baby a bottle of formula, but I don't really believe it does harm.

What I would be concerned about mostly though, is which formula you choose, and the fact that the only formulas that come in a convenient "once only use" popper style pack are formulas with large amounts of dairy protein which are difficult for baby to digest.

I know when I have given any of my babies formula I have used De-Lact formula, as it contains less of the hard to digest dairy protein, and is very gentle on little bellies. However, if you were to buy a tin of delact, and use it once, you'd be throwing a hell of a lot of formula out! It has to be used within 4 weeks of opening, as do all formulas. So if you were using it "just the once" and didn't want to waste a tin, you'd either have to borrow from a friend, give the rest to a friend, throw the whole tin out, or buy the NAN Poppers instead.

Thanks
    Reviews

I don't believe it does harm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I too felt the need to have some 1:1 time with DH in the early weeks and mum was desperate to babysit. Like you expressing wasn't doing much to start with. So a few days beforehand I expressed off after each feed...got about 20-50ml at a time and kept it in sep sterilised containers in the fridge. Once all were cold at the end of the day I transferred into another sterilised bottle and froze it (my child health nurse said this was the best way to do it). I then had 2xbottles of ebm ready for my mum.
    We only went local...dinner and a movie and were both paranoid we'd left her for too long, were home within 3 hours. She slept for 2 hours of it and had 1 bottle.
    Over time I got used to the expressing and quickly got more out, then my DH enjoyed giving a bottle each night.
    Only do what you feel comfortable doing x

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    If bubs has never had formula before then I wouldn't risk it in this occasion. I hated expressing but I couldn't give DD formula (well, she had it maybe 3 times) but the last time she had it, it was a large bottle and she vomited it all back up. It's harder to digest so it may cause wind or a sore tummy.

Is there an option of taking your DS with you. I went out a few times with DD, only to sizzler, not exactly living it up, but when they are that little they are portable. I popped her in the sling and gave her a feed whilst we were out. She loved the comfort of teh sling and just dozed away most of the time.

Another option is to set aside a regular night and have a 'date' night with your DH. Turn the tv off, get some nice choccies or biccies and play a board game or watch a movie together. DH and I aim to do this but it doesn't always happen. On night we had a virtual tour of New York complete with pizza and google maps. Another option is to watch a movie or some stand up comedy at home with your DH. DF and I haven't been out together since December last year at my work's xmas party and it looks like we're not having one this year so that's my annual social event gone