+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Biting and agressive behaviour

I'm having behavioural issues with my17 month old DD and I'm hopingsomeone can help. She's always been very naughty and will deliberatelydo things that she knows are not allowed. But recently she's gottenvery aggressive partucularly towards my nephew who's 3 months olderthan her. She started biting him at any opportunity she gets andsometimes for no particular reason, he will just walk past her andshe'll grab his arm and bite him. If I see her about to do it I'll willstop her and now she's taken to biting herself instead, so hard thatshe's leaving red bite marks up her arm. She will also hit him veryhard with toys and pinch him although it's the biting that's morefrequent.

I've recently had another baby who is 12 weeks old and I know that herbehaviour has gotten worse since my son was born (she's also bitten hima few times) but I'm not sure how to stop it. In the past I've triedto use positive reinforcement and will distract her from what ever itis that she's doing but this isn't working at all. I've now taken togiving her a smack (which I said I'd never do!) but she doesn't seem tocare when I give her a smack.

I've started her in daycare once a week because I think she's gettingbored at home and needing to burn off more energy than I can burn athome. So far they've said that she's been very good a day care but I'mso scared of her biting another child.

Any tips on ways I can deal with this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know where you are coming from! DS2 is a biter @ 20mths. Fortunately here he hasn't a little baby in the house but his 3.5yr old brother will take the brunt of it (or myself). I find that with DS he bites when he is not getting his own way....
    I stop him up short and tell him that it is not acceptable behaviour and that it hurts. We are not making great progress to be honest but I try to avoid his aggression coming to a head by foreseeing how he will react to which way a game is going with his brother etc.
    My own mother had issues with me biting her when I was a toddler and to my surprise she said she bit me back and I stopped biting her! I don't think I ever will do that to DS however I have read a thread in the past that suggested just that.
    Having a new baby in the house changes the whole dynamics of the family and your DD will get used to it. From my experience it took around 4mths. She should settle down there after. If you could get a break from the little one and spend some one on one time with DD at frequent intervals it will help too. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Pay all your attention to the child she bites and give her no attention at all when she does it.

Thanks
    Reviews

Bite her back.... I know it's not something we ever thought we'd do to our bundle of joys but it does work. My 17 month old daughter only ever bit me once, I bit her back after having a long talk with my mother and that how me and my two older sisters learnt and we never bit again. Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i am subbing, im going thru a bit of this atm and i dont know what to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Biting is a natural way for young toddlers to act out aggression and I think it may also be attention grabbing in your case?
    I would remove her from the situation, as pp said - pay attention to the child that was bitten and just keep reinforcing "we don't bite" etc and be consistent
    Please, please don't bite her back - in my opinion , a child this age has absolutely no capacity of putting herself in someone else's shoes so does not understand the connection of what she does and what's done to her - all she sees is the person she loves the most is hurting her - it's shock that may make them stop and that is not the example I would set for my child , how on earth can you teach them not to bite or hit if you do it to them

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (28-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The is clearly some frustration issues in play here. Have you thought of taking her to a pead for an assessment to rule out any behavioural issues at all. That would be my first step. Process of elimination is always the best start.
    Good luck I hope you find a solution.

Thanks
    Reviews

My DD went through it too but hers was pulling hair (other people's and her own) she has grown out of it now but it took ages.

We would let out a loud ouch and pretend to cry so she knew she had hurt us, if she did it again after us explaining on her level that it was mean and it hurt people she would get a time out.

She also goes to day care one day a week and is a perfect angel for them.

I hope it sorts itself out soon! xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Subbing - my nearly 15mth DS has started biting. He thinks its hilarious so doesn't understand (I think) that it hurts. He is also currently biting his toys too, not just me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyCowell View Post
    Bite her back.... I know it's not something we ever thought we'd do to our bundle of joys but it does work. My 17 month old daughter only ever bit me once, I bit her back after having a long talk with my mother and that how me and my two older sisters learnt and we never bit again. Hope this helps.
    I would think that this would be counter productive. Thats like spanking a child for hitting, doesnt make much sense to me. How long has she gone without biting again?