+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsharvey View Post
    My 7 week-old had had terrible issues with pain and I agree, it is completely and utterly heartbreaking. He is getting better, but only slowly. We have been giving him Infacol (a half-dose) before feeds since one-week old. (This was ok-ed by GP). I feed him so he is in an upright position, and burp mid-feed. We also keep him upright for a minimum of 20 minutes after a feed.

We took him to an osteopath, and saw a distinct improvement after just two sessions. Also, I have cut out large amounts of milk (devastating!), chocolate, chilli and garlic from my diet.

Also, can I suggest googling Block Feeding - it made a huge difference to my son when I tried it. Also, if you have a lot of milk or fast letdown, you could try to express off the initial flow first, which can slow down the rest.

Hang in there - lots of us have been there. Follow your gut (we self-diagnosed initially as no one would listen to us), and keep searching for answers. Good luck!
    This is the same as my ill one. Infacol didn't work for us though but now use infants friend which is working well. Plus my milk has settled down and I don't think my let down is as fast now. He is 5 weeks old now.

Op, so please hang in there, it does get better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Your experience with silent reflux - please help

Both my babies had reflux. It is absolutely horrible. Losec works miracles. Not a cure, you will still have bad days but things will be much improved. We also had numerous visits to sleep school which really helped. The midwives were very experienced with how to settle reflux and I was exhausted as DS only slept 40mins at a time.

Thanks
    Reviews

My boy has silent reflux it's so hard. I taped him on my phone when screaming and wrote everything down then took it to my doc. We are now on Zantac and it worked right away.
    I hope u get done help for bub

Thanks
    Reviews

I just read a previous post and remembered I cut out all dairy and soy from my diet and it helped DD's reflux a lot. Not minor sources of soy or dairy, just the usual milk, icecream, cream, yogurt etc. Many bubs intolerant to cows milk protein are also intolerant to soy protein.

Just made up a script for Losec today as DD is having a few issues with reflux again after 2 months off the medication. She is 14 months old. Thought she was clear of her problems but obviously not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I've had 2 with reflux.
    With both I had to completely eliminate both dairy and soy from my diet, and both were prescribed Losec and Zantac in combination to get the reflux under control. We also used Mylanta as necessary. If the Mylanta is giving bub relief, then it most probably is reflux.
    You need to find a good Dr to help you manage the reflux effectively. We needed frequent dosage increases for the medication to stay effective.
    There is great info on the different reflux medications on the NZ reflux website cryingoverspiltmilk.
    It's horrible seeing little ones in so much pain. After the horrible time we had with my DD, I had my DS on reflux meds at 8 days old since we came home from hospital and he screamed for 48hrs straight.
    Hope your little one settles soon, and don't be afraid to use the Mylanta until you get something stronger.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Your experience with silent reflux - please help

Thanks again for the responses. Got the script in the post and it is for losec, being made up tonight so we pick up tomorrow.

Went to a local gp and she was so understanding, listened to my concerns and seconded what the paed thought about it being silent reflux.

I have cut major dairy sources but forgot to mention this to the doc. I'm a little concerned about dropping milk supply as I eat a lot of dairy and finding it hard to put bub down to eat properly as it is.

Anyway, I feel better just being listened to on here and by the doc. Hoping we see an improvement soon!
    Last edited by Qwerty; 30-11-2012 at 00:31.

Thanks
    Reviews

How does everyone give their little one losec?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    How does everyone give their little one losec?
    My best friend would dissolve it in a tiny bit of water then use a syringe to give it to bub.

Thanks
    Reviews

Depends whether you have the tablets or the suspension, if its the suspension I would do it in a syringe, we had the tablets and I would dissolve them on a small spoon in some water and gently pinch bubs cheeks to open his mouth and spoon it in as I found doing it in the syringe the little granules were getting stuck in the syringe and they are the bit bub needs

Thanks
    Reviews

My son had it. For weeks he screamed and did everything you described but everyone kept telling me babies cry. My MCHN saw him doing it and told me it was reflux which was a releif.
    As pp say dont take no for an answer we were never given anything to help but i took out all dairy and soy which made a massive difference. I also take him to an osteopath once a month. He is a totally different child now

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub