+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What was the 4 month sleep regression like for your baby?

DD will be 4 months on the 10th. Her night sleeping had gotten pretty amazing, down around 7 after a bath with no trouble (fed/rocked to sleep), dream feed around 10, up at 3-4 for a feed then up at 5:30-6 for the day. Oh, how I long for those days to return!

For the past 5/6 nights she is waking every 10 or so mins for 2 hours after going down. She just needs a quick cuddle and rock to get back to sleep. Then waking every 1-1.5hrs for the rest of night. Last night though she woke at 9:30pm and then not again until 2:30am, and that was only because next door were hammering (that's a whole other post though). But then every hour until 5:30am. I thought maybe she was out of her funk due to the big stretch last night but tonight again she's been up every 10 minutes since 7pm.

Her day sleeps are the same as usual, will only sleep for 40 mins unless I lay down with her and then she'll sleep for 1.5 hours. She's not been able to self settle yet though we've consistently tried.

Does this sound like the regression? Something else? She has 3 teeth popping through but they're only just coming through. I don't know if maybe these are bothering her? She has been much more fussy during the day too. I'M SO SO TIRED.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Dd2 just came out of hers. She went from 1-2 wake ups in 12hrs overnight and good 2x 1-3hr day sleeps to 1-2hrly wake ups and other mental behaviour. 4 wks and 1.5kgs later she is now sleeping 6-9hrs straight before a quick feed. Day sleeps are still not so great but we are getting 2x 1-1.5hrs and a 40min late afternoon nap. Doesn't help that we moved last week either.

It does pass!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

GreenMama  (27-11-2012)

bambino is offline Autistic Today, My Genius Tomorrow
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    For us......bl00dy terrible !!

It hit like a ton of bricks. He went from sleeping all night, to waking every 2 hours, wanting a feed, cuddle etc.
    It was soooo taxing on DH and I. We put up with it for 2 months before taking him to sleep school.
    Best thing we ever did
    Within 3 to 4 days, he was back to "normal" and sleeping perfect day and night.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bambino For This Useful Post:

GreenMama  (27-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    regression at 4mths? we never had one. DD was a horrible sleeper right up untill about 7mths old. There was no "good turn bad"!!! it was just bad 24/7!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Muffet For This Useful Post:

GreenMama  (27-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It does sound like the 4 month sleep regression, could also be a combination of that and teething.

The 4 month sleep regression was bad for us. DS went from waking 0-1 times a night to waking every 1-2 hours. I fed back to sleep and tried to ride it out, but after 5 months of 1-2 hourly wakings I had to actively night wean (he was dependant on boob to resettle at each wake), which took a couple of months. By about 12 months he was sleeping pretty well. I think we're in the minority though, when I looked into most sleep regressions lasted a few weeks to a month or so and people were able to ride it out without making any drastic changes. for you it doesn't last long.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to decemberbubba For This Useful Post:

GreenMama  (28-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sounds like it to me. For us it went on until about a month ago - DS is nearly 11 months, so for 6 months we were all over the shop.

The best advice I have, is try not to fight it too much, it got better for me when I realised it just is what it is. We also worked on making sure we weren't going in when he was only stirring or calling out, this was waking him up more and making him over tired. We went in when he actually was crying.

It does pass or at least get better. Last night DS went to sleep at 6.30pm woke once at 12.30am and slept through until 7am. Last night was a golden night for us.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

GreenMama  (28-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    It was awful! DS went from doing 6 hours overnight, with a few 8+ hours every so often, and three big sleeps during the day, to three hourly wakeups and 40 minute catnaps (and it took me up to an hour to get him asleep for these catnaps).

I ended up going to a sleep group run by the health clinic when he was 7 months old to get help with his day sleeps. A lot of work and by 9 months he was having two good day sleeps and was able to settle himself.

We didn't get any improvement overnight until I actively night weaned him (an incredibly tough month) and we had a visit to QEII at 11 months. At 12 months he is now usually sleeping 7.30-6.30 with a few grizzles overnight (but he is able to self-settle without me), or if not he is at least doing 10.30-6.30.

It was a hard slog and he still has his bad nights - at the moment he is teething so he often won't go to sleep unless I feed him to sleep. But we are getting there and there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamilicious For This Useful Post:

GreenMama  (28-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

My DD never was a good sleeper before 4 months old in the night but slept well in the day.

She started catnapping at 4 months old but night sleeps she still woke 3 times (sometimes more) a night for a feed.

I was taught by my MHCN to start putting her down in her basinette and rock or pat and shush her to sleep before 4 months and avoid feeding or rocking to sleep in my arms to avoid the sleep regression, so that she was falling asleep where she would wake up. Even though I was still aiding her to sleep it was still better than her falling asleep in my arms and waking up without me there.

The catnapping took 3 months to get past, but her night sleeps got better about a month or so after.

It is possible to get past it with some sleep training, it can take a while as it did with us because we continued putting her down and patting and shushing and didn't do controlled crying, but I wasn't going to just ride it out as I'd heard from friends that the catnapping may never get better if I did nothing and the night sleeps wouldn't improve either.

It sounds like you aren't getting much sleep at all and it can become unhealthy and possibly dangerous if you need to drive her around for example but are too tired to concentrate fully on the road. This is just one way sleep deprivation can have a negative effect on you and your husband. If it goes on too long, it might be a good idea to think about sleep school.

Good luck!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CuddlesAwait For This Useful Post:

GreenMama  (28-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

We never had it with our first 3 daughters but along came DD4 and wow!! She slept 6pm-7am until 16weeks then woke 10 plus times a night from 16-26weeks..
    She was also a self settler just put her down and she'd go to sleep but I had to feed her or rock/pat her to sleep or put her in bed with is for the 10weeks..
    She snapped out of it and just went back to her great sleeping and settling ways luckily!!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

GreenMama  (28-11-2012)

strawberry swing is offline not so patiently waiting for the 1st of july!
    Thanks
    Reviews

i'm going to knock on wood here but dd is almost 5 months and we didn't get one, she actually started sleeping through the night without feeds, I'm really hoping she doesn't make up for it at 6 months

19. The Following User Says Thank You to strawberry swing For This Useful Post:

GreenMama  (28-11-2012)