+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Got that "guilty" feeling :(

I'm starting to feel really guilty about going back to work full time. I currently work 3 days a week (8 - 4pm) but as of 14th January I'm back full time I know DD loves going to her family day care but i feel as though I'm going to miss out on so much.

Unfortunately i don't have any other choice, its just really getting to me and i don't know how to feel anything but guilty over leaving my DD with a carer for 43 hours a week!

How did you cope?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I wish I could find it but I recently read an article which made reference to a study that was conducted and the research actually found that mothers who worked in paid employment spent more quality time with their children. This isn't to say that stay-at-home-mums don't, but it is living proof that working doesn't equal neglecting your child or never spending time with her.

If you have no choice, why feel guilty?

I cope by doing the best I can with the resources I have. I can't yet give up work, so I make sure I spend as much quality time with DS as possible. And this includes very regular mum & DS days. We visit the arcade, the park, my parents, we ride, scooter, skate!

It can feel like missing out on a lot, but look at dads - the very vast majority return to work in the very, very early days of parenting and most still manage to have a genuine, loving relationship with their children.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

bearbug  (27-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think its a normal feeling, I felt guilty just going to the gym or when I'd take time out and get my hair done or shopping... everyone feels guilty for one reason or another, its all part of being a parent.
    As you mentioned you have no choice so try to look at the positives and look forward to the weekends.
    Im a sahm but a friend of mine has a 3 year old and a newborn she works full time and so does her husband her 3 year old has been in day care since she was 6 months old and I can say she is the best behaved child I have EVER met.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ciaomamma For This Useful Post:

bearbug  (27-11-2012)