View Poll Results: Warning Labels On Fast Food

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • For

    16 43.24%
  • Against

    10 27.03%
  • Donkey vote cos I honestly wouldnt care one way or the other

    11 29.73%
Closed Thread
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 143
  1. #71
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    2,610
    Thanks
    1,023
    Thanked
    511
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    Gaining and losing weight can actually be lot more complicated than eating less junk and moving more.
    Well this is true but even more reason not to blame food companies, or make them do things that will effect their business. The less business they get the less tax dollars they pay the less the government can do things that everyone appreciates they do all because some fat people cant control their weight and want to lay blame on these companies.

    I have gained 10 kilos in the last year whose fault was that? Mine 100% mine no one else just mine. If I want to lose that 10 kilos do you think forcing companies to put labels on their food will help? Nope what will help is myself, my will power and my dedication to losing that weight.

  2. #72
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Qld
    Posts
    26,930
    Thanks
    2,736
    Thanked
    6,743
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I do believe that our own health is somewhat our own responsibility, and I agree that in-your-face packaging won't change things, but I do think the point is about helping CHILDREN rather than adults... and we can't possibly expect children to understand how calories work, surely?

    I do think a more in-depth education in school into personal nutrition would be wise... perhaps a breakdown of an "average" amount needed per day, protein, carbs, sugar, fat, sodium etc... the breakdown instead of just calories. I had to google how much sugar is recommended for an adult diet earlier today and I consider myself to understand calories fairly well... but I don't know everything, obviously.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    Should we label cars to state that driving too fast can cause death? How about heavy appliances that if you lift them they can crush you? Labeling things doesn't deter as much as people would think.
    To be fair, there are warnings on your rego stickers (I know mine says something about drink driving), and the boxes of heavy products usually tell you how heavy it is (roughly) and how many people should lift the object. Of course, I still ignore them if I think I can give it a go and lift it myself... so I guess the point about detering is still there.

  3. #73
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Qld
    Posts
    26,930
    Thanks
    2,736
    Thanked
    6,743
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    Gaining and losing weight can actually be lot more complicated than eating less junk and moving more.
    I'm sure it comes as no surprise that I agree with this. Some weight issues are just a matter of medical issues or being a little lazy for a while... but a lot of the time, it's about actual stuff going on in your head. You can have all the knowledge in the world and still not be able to put it into practice because your head says, "Yeah... come on... screw this diet... you're going to fail anyway, so you might as well just give up now and have a burger..." etc.

    I'm not an idiot, most fat people aren't... we KNOW, in theory, how to lose weight. Our minds combat every damn move we make though... making it near impossible (and sadly, many who lose significant amounts will regain it within 5 years anyway).

    Obesity is just a symptom of another problem, in many cases.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

    CazHazKidz  (28-11-2012),LoveLivesHere  (27-11-2012)

  5. #74
    Ana Gram's Avatar
    Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    18,597
    Thanks
    1,028
    Thanked
    3,125
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    Well this is true but even more reason not to blame food companies, or make them do things that will effect their business. The less business they get the less tax dollars they pay the less the government can do things that everyone appreciates they do all because some fat people cant control their weight and want to lay blame on these companies.
    I'm afraid I can't support your ideas here. Food companies primary concern is making loads of money, usually at the expense of the environment and quite often the health of people. They don't care if everyone gets fat from eating their food. I am all for business regulations. Financial gain should not come at the expense of health and environment. It ends up costing the government MORE in the long run in health and environmental recovery.

    I have gained 10 kilos in the last year whose fault was that? Mine 100% mine no one else just mine. If I want to lose that 10 kilos do you think forcing companies to put labels on their food will help? Nope what will help is myself, my will power and my dedication to losing that weight.
    I have also gained 10 kilos, perhaps more in the last three years. I eat well, am very active, there is absolutely no reason I should be putting on weight. Sometimes will power and determination doesn't cut it.

    And personally, I want detailed labels on my food. I want to know what I am eating. I want to know what food companies are doing to the food I am eating. More people need to be looking at the labels and finding out what is in their food.

  6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

    Benji  (27-11-2012),HarvestMoon  (27-11-2012),LoveLivesHere  (27-11-2012),OurLittleBlessing  (28-11-2012),Sonja  (27-11-2012)

  7. #75
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    2,610
    Thanks
    1,023
    Thanked
    511
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I do believe that our own health is somewhat our own responsibility, and I agree that in-your-face packaging won't change things, but I do think the point is about helping CHILDREN rather than adults... and we can't possibly expect children to understand how calories work, surely?

    I do think a more in-depth education in school into personal nutrition would be wise... perhaps a breakdown of an "average" amount needed per day, protein, carbs, sugar, fat, sodium etc... the breakdown instead of just calories. I had to google how much sugar is recommended for an adult diet earlier today and I consider myself to understand calories fairly well... but I don't know everything, obviously.



    To be fair, there are warnings on your rego stickers (I know mine says something about drink driving), and the boxes of heavy products usually tell you how heavy it is (roughly) and how many people should lift the object. Of course, I still ignore them if I think I can give it a go and lift it myself... so I guess the point about detering is still there.
    Well its not that hard to give kids a rough idea. of course they wont know all the ins and outs but I can tell you my kids from a young age knew that you cant eat food with a lot of fat in it, you cant eat food with a lot of calories and even at a very young age they would tell me that Mc Donalds is junk food and bad for you.

    My mom is very healthy and has always been in good health and a healthy weight. She educated myself and my children and kids are capable of knowing what is good and bad for you. They wont always practice it but they will mimic parents more than we give credit.


    IMO we as a society are very dishonest to kids etc. We say big is beautiful and its ok to be obese just look at all these beautiful models etc etc yes a heavy person can be pretty but they are killing themselves, they are dying a lot faster than those in shape.

    My birth mom just died at 49 she never smoked never drank you know what killed her? her weight she was somewhere between 350 and 400 pounds (158 kilo to 181 kilos) her doctors told her and told her but she just couldnt do it so she died. What a waste and I am actually angry with her, she had 7 kids depending on her and lots of grand kids and she couldnt just try to lose the weight for them if not for her, she said it was too hard.

    We as a society lecture smokers and will even publicly try to shame them perfect strangers because we dont like smokers, same with drinkers, and drug addicts but we tell people its ok to be obese, well IMO its not its just not. People are dying from complications of obesity and its preventable and reversible thing. Is it hard yes, does it take time yes but so does smoking and drinking hard but doable and we tell people just quit smoking put that smoke down would we dare tell a friend just stop eating put that big mac down? No we would never but its time because obesity is an epidemic and needs to be treated as such.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lovemyfam For This Useful Post:

    Bluest Blue Box  (27-11-2012)

  9. #76
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    2,610
    Thanks
    1,023
    Thanked
    511
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    I'm afraid I can't support your ideas here. Food companies primary concern is making loads of money, usually at the expense of the environment and quite often the health of people. They don't care if everyone gets fat from eating their food. I am all for business regulations. Financial gain should not come at the expense of health and environment. It ends up costing the government MORE in the long run in health and environmental recovery.
    I see your point here and yes obesity does cost the government a lot of money but again I dont think its the food companies fault. My moms friend lived in China or might have been Japan anyway they have free health coverage but with rules. He was told he had to quite smoking and lose X amount of weight or his insurance would be dropped. Maybe that is an option so that people would have to cover their own health if they want to drink, smoke abuse drugs or food.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    I have also gained 10 kilos, perhaps more in the last three years. I eat well, am very active, there is absolutely no reason I should be putting on weight. Sometimes will power and determination doesn't cut it.
    This is true, but most things can be helped with the dr.s I know a friend that was super skinny couldnt gain weight it was a tyroid problem, she took meds and it fixed her right up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    And personally, I want detailed labels on my food. I want to know what I am eating. I want to know what food companies are doing to the food I am eating. More people need to be looking at the labels and finding out what is in their food.
    Maybe an option is more detailed pamphlets then for those that want to know.

  10. #77
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Qld
    Posts
    26,930
    Thanks
    2,736
    Thanked
    6,743
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I was hoping that food addiction wouldn't be compared to drugs/alcohol/smoking but since it was...

    Yes, they can all be addictions. The KEY difference though, is drugs/alcohol/cigarettes are all not essential to life. I don't know ANY recovered alcoholic who can "just have one beer," and be fine... but that's what people expect of food addicts. We can never just give up food - so it's not a case of just avoidng food, avoiding people who eat food, just not buying food... as you can do with smoking, drugs and alcohol. You NEED to eat... forever. Telling an over-eater/binge eater to "just eat a little bit," is like telling a junkie to "just use a little bit." It sounds ridiculous because it is. It IS that hard.

    I have never said to my daughter, "Big is beautiful," or "it's okay to obese," and honestly don't know anybody who would. If they did, they'd be idiots. What I DO say to my daughter though, is that her HEALTH matters. Not her size. Her size never matters. Sometimes it may be an indicator of her health, sometimes not. That so long as she looks after her health, that's what matters. Not being fat or skinny.

    I do agree that children need to learn what foods are healthy and what aren't, and it's something we've talked about in this family from the moment my daughter was quite small. She's 7.5 and will choose healthy most days. I mean, her lunch tomorrow? A wrap with roast turkey breast, lettuce, cucumber and tomato, some cucumber sticks and an apple... and a bottle of water. SO I mean, trust me, we know healthy in this house... but my point was calories. You made out like calories were simple... that the info is on the packet, so people (and then kids) should know what they're having. TO expect small children to know what they're doing to their bodies when they eat a Big Mac is ridiculous. They can know it's "unhealthy," but I think you'd be hard pressed to find many kids who would understand the nutritional breakdown of a Big Mac and what that means for their RDI as a child of whatever age, and then their own personal dietary requirements as well. You'd be hard pressed to find an ADULT who knows all of that.

    I'm talking as someone who was technically morbidly obese, who is now simply "overweight," so I mean, I do know what I'm talking about. I acknowledged that I lacked what it took to lose the weight I needed to and keep it off on my own, so resorted to surgery (don't worry, I paid for it, not Medicare...) to protect my own declining health due to my size.

    It shows a gross amount of ignorance though to assume that fat people are jerks who just don't bother to lose weight because they're selfish and can't be stuffed considering their families though. Absolute ignorance.

    ETA - LMF, are you suggesting that perhaps if people are not considered to be fit and healthy, they should not be taken care of by Medicare or by their private health insurance?

  11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

    CazHazKidz  (28-11-2012),Crazyfiasco  (27-11-2012),LoveLivesHere  (27-11-2012),peanutmonkey  (27-11-2012),RainbowSky  (27-11-2012)

  12. #78
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    2,610
    Thanks
    1,023
    Thanked
    511
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I was hoping that food addiction wouldn't be compared to drugs/alcohol/smoking but since it was...

    Yes, they can all be addictions. The KEY difference though, is drugs/alcohol/cigarettes are all not essential to life. I don't know ANY recovered alcoholic who can "just have one beer," and be fine... but that's what people expect of food addicts. We can never just give up food - so it's not a case of just avoidng food, avoiding people who eat food, just not buying food... as you can do with smoking, drugs and alcohol. You NEED to eat... forever. Telling an over-eater/binge eater to "just eat a little bit," is like telling a junkie to "just use a little bit." It sounds ridiculous because it is. It IS that hard.

    I have never said to my daughter, "Big is beautiful," or "it's okay to obese," and honestly don't know anybody who would. If they did, they'd be idiots. What I DO say to my daughter though, is that her HEALTH matters. Not her size. Her size never matters. Sometimes it may be an indicator of her health, sometimes not. That so long as she looks after her health, that's what matters. Not being fat or skinny.

    I do agree that children need to learn what foods are healthy and what aren't, and it's something we've talked about in this family from the moment my daughter was quite small. She's 7.5 and will choose healthy most days. I mean, her lunch tomorrow? A wrap with roast turkey breast, lettuce, cucumber and tomato, some cucumber sticks and an apple... and a bottle of water. SO I mean, trust me, we know healthy in this house... but my point was calories. You made out like calories were simple... that the info is on the packet, so people (and then kids) should know what they're having. TO expect small children to know what they're doing to their bodies when they eat a Big Mac is ridiculous. They can know it's "unhealthy," but I think you'd be hard pressed to find many kids who would understand the nutritional breakdown of a Big Mac and what that means for their RDI as a child of whatever age, and then their own personal dietary requirements as well. You'd be hard pressed to find an ADULT who knows all of that.

    I'm talking as someone who was technically morbidly obese, who is now simply "overweight," so I mean, I do know what I'm talking about. I acknowledged that I lacked what it took to lose the weight I needed to and keep it off on my own, so resorted to surgery (don't worry, I paid for it, not Medicare...) to protect my own declining health due to my size.

    It shows a gross amount of ignorance though to assume that fat people are jerks who just don't bother to lose weight because they're selfish and can't be stuffed considering their families though. Absolute ignorance.

    ETA - LMF, are you suggesting that perhaps if people are not considered to be fit and healthy, they should not be taken care of by Medicare or by their private health insurance?
    No I was just saying in Japan or China whichever its that my moms friend was going to be dumped for free care and have to go private if he didnt lose x amount of weight and quit smoking. This was in response to costing the government, making the people responsible rather than a company who makes money and pays taxes on a product that we can choose or not choose to eat.

    Children shouldnt have to worry about calories, that is our job as a parent to make sure our kids are eating healthy then teach them as they age about healthy eating. I know not all kids will listen but its still our job as parents.

    I know that you cant not just eat sorry wasnt implying that food addiction was exactly the same more how society treats heavy people compared to smokers etc maybe if it wasnt so socially acceptable to be obese maybe less people would be obese.

    Its not ignorance this was my birth mother how she was, I never said all fat people were like that but that is how she was and how she chose to live her life without any regard to those around her.
    Last edited by Lovemyfam; 27-11-2012 at 20:51.

  13. #79
    Ana Gram's Avatar
    Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    18,597
    Thanks
    1,028
    Thanked
    3,125
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    I see your point here and yes obesity does cost the government a lot of money but again I dont think its the food companies fault. My moms friend lived in China or might have been Japan anyway they have free health coverage but with rules. He was told he had to quite smoking and lose X amount of weight or his insurance would be dropped. Maybe that is an option so that people would have to cover their own health if they want to drink, smoke abuse drugs or food.
    Mmmm, I wouldn't like to see Australia go further down the user pays system of health care. I think that would be a tremendous mistake.

    This is true, but most things can be helped with the dr.s I know a friend that was super skinny couldnt gain weight it was a tyroid problem, she took meds and it fixed her right up.
    Been to the doc and we are both stumped. Conclusion is that the weight gain has coincided with uni. Since I have kept up my healthy eating and my activity and am still putting on weight, the likely cause is stress.

    Maybe an option is more detailed pamphlets then for those that want to know.
    I'm not sure that is feasible with all food iykwim. It's been a long while since I have eaten at a fast food outlet so I don't know what pamphlets they provide. But I can't help but think that pamphlets written by the makers of fatty food aren't going to come out and say 'eat this and increase the likelihood of heart disease and stroke etc'

  14. #80
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    61
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked
    58
    Reviews
    0
    I dont think the labels would make much difference.

    I do appreciate now that most fast food places put the ammount of kj's under each item of food/meal.


 
Closed Thread
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Fast Food Baby
    By Witchypoo in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-02-2012, 16:56
  2. Does anyone have any fast food horror stories?
    By jemmajam in forum General Chat
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 30-01-2012, 11:18

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Einsteinz Music
Make music at Einsteinz Music in age-appropriate class in Sydney's Inner West, Eastern Suburbs or North Shore. For ages 6 mths - 4 yrs. All music is live! Christmas Gift certificates available for full term or casual classes. Call 0431 338 143
sales & new stuffsee all
Wendys Music School Melbourne
Wondering about Music Lessons? FREE 30 minute ASSESSMENT. Find out if your child is ready! Piano from age 3 years & Guitar, Singing, Drums, Violin from age 5. Lessons available for all ages. 35+ years experience. Structured program.
Use referral 'bubhub' when booking
featured supporter
Maternity Clothes
Looking to buy maternity clothes? :: Check the bubhub directory of local & online maternity clothes shops :: Find preloved maternity wear
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!