10 27.03%
  • Donkey vote cos I honestly wouldnt care one way or the other

11 29.73%
Closed Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I vote no, where will this babysitting end? Everyone knows if you eat fast food and sit on your butt all day your gonna get fat. Its as simple as that. We learn this in science, our doctors tell us. I cant believe that obese people go into the drs and they dont talk to them about the weight just like they lecture smokers they tend to lecture obese people too.

As far as people not knowing that fast food is bad for you I call hogwash this is common knowledge, you can see the calories right by what you are ordering if it has that much calories in it then you know it has other bad stuff.

Should we label cars to state that driving too fast can cause death? How about heavy appliances that if you lift them they can crush you? Labeling things doesn't deter as much as people would think.

One way to deter obese kids is punish the parents of obese kids, they are responsible for the children and their weight not these food companies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CazHazKidz View Post
    I truly believe I am addicted. Stupid thing is I have given it up many times. I've done lots of fitness challenges in the past, usually 3 month long ones, and don't touch any fast food while I'm doing it, so I've broken the addiction many times, but I always go back to it, I don't know why I do it.
    actually Mcdonalds is addicting have you seen supersize me?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    I vote no, where will this babysitting end? Everyone knows if you eat fast food and sit on your butt all day your gonna get fat. Its as simple as that. We learn this in science, our doctors tell us. I cant believe that obese people go into the drs and they dont talk to them about the weight just like they lecture smokers they tend to lecture obese people too.

As far as people not knowing that fast food is bad for you I call hogwash this is common knowledge, you can see the calories right by what you are ordering if it has that much calories in it then you know it has other bad stuff.

Should we label cars to state that driving too fast can cause death? How about heavy appliances that if you lift them they can crush you? Labeling things doesn't deter as much as people would think.

One way to deter obese kids is punish the parents of obese kids, they are responsible for the children and their weight not these food companies.
    The problem is though, that while the labels may show the nutritional value... not everyone understands these numbers!!

While labels like the one shown won't help educate these people, something needs to be done. Because like I said... not everyone understands how many calories they should be eating, how many g of fat etc.

I have heard many overweight people saying they don't know why they're not losing weight when they cut down on a few fast food meals a week or switching to the "healthy options" places like mcdonalds have (which are still MASSIVE in calories - not healthy at all).... this just proves people don't understand just how bad it is for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjalee View Post
    The problem is though, that while the labels may show the nutritional value... not everyone understands these numbers!!

While labels like the one shown won't help educate these people, something needs to be done. Because like I said... not everyone understands how many calories they should be eating, how many g of fat etc.

I have heard many overweight people saying they don't know why they're not losing weight when they cut down on a few fast food meals a week or switching to the "healthy options" places like mcdonalds have (which are still MASSIVE in calories - not healthy at all).... this just proves people don't understand just how bad it is for you.
    Thats why they have the pamphlets available, if people really want to know they can know. It is not the fast food companies job to baby sit us.

Also its not just the food. After I had my first baby I had no car. I ate fast food every day and so much junk but never gained a pound because I walked every where because I had no car.

Our health our weight is our responsibility not the fast food companies. Everyone knows that fast food is bad for them its common sense, look at a big mac and large fries does it look remotely healthy?

So if people dont understand the labels, or pamphlets should these companies then be forced to hire people who make sure we understand? Should they offer free nutrition classes too? We as humans lay to much blame on things other than ourselves this is why we have trouble fixing many of our problems.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lovemyfam For This Useful Post:

intruderalert1234  (27-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    For me it's not just about the actual food they serve but the whole fast food industry. If anyone wants to turn themselves off fast food forever read "Fast Food Nation". It's old now and things *might* have improved but it was one of the most eye opening books I have ever read. It's not just the low quality food, but the way the industry relies on cheap meat that is killed cruelly and without regard to the safety of the workers or the humanity of killing animals humanely.

There are also fascinating documentaries about the lengths McDonald's will go to to protect it's brand. Hungry jacks (Burger King in the US) isn't really any better. They do fecal testing on the meat patties and find large quantities in it. It's one of the reasons for flame grilling (apparently).

Like I said earlier I haven't stepped foot in a McDonald's for over 20 years, but I am not immune from enjoying treats and eating badly. For me it's more than junk food that I don't like about these restaurants.
    Last edited by Sonja; 27-11-2012 at 19:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You have made some good points lovemyfam

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

Lovemyfam  (27-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Warning Labels On Fast Food

I'm for but I would just like to add I'm a larger girl but I eat healthier than all of my 'slim' friends. I get annoyed when people assume bigger people are categorised as being 'unhealthy'.

I think it could cause problems for children but not for mothers etc?! I hope people understand what I am saying. I think we need to pay a tax on junk food I really do

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    I'm for but I would just like to add I'm a larger girl but I eat healthier than all of my 'slim' friends. I get annoyed when people assume bigger people are categorised as being 'unhealthy'.

I think it could cause problems for children but not for mothers etc?! I hope people understand what I am saying. I think we need to pay a tax on junk food I really do
    Its not all about food, its about activity, you can eat healthy and be obese if you dont get up and move, you can eat a ton of junk food and not gain weight because you are active. This is why it shouldnt all be blamed on fast food companies. We have to be held accountable for our own health and our own weight.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Gaining and losing weight can actually be lot more complicated than eating less junk and moving more.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (27-11-2012),peanutmonkey  (27-11-2012),SoThisIsLove  (27-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    Against.

Here's why:

First - It wouldn't work. People who live on this stuff aren't usually clueless to the fact it's unhealthy... they just don't care. They're not going to care seeing that label. They're not going to stop feeding it to their kids. Chances are, their kids are scrawny little things anyway... so many kids I know who are fed a sh*tty diet of junk food and soft drinks are skinny little things. At least until the later years anyway. Those parents will say, "Meh, my skinny kid is healthy!" and ignore it. Pointless.

Secondly - I believe that junk food has its place in life. I think that BANNING or DEMONISING food creates a poor relationship with food. I think making junk normal, as an occasional part of an otherwise healthy diet, is the best way to be. I think making it taboo... making it bad... making it not allowed... is sending the wrong message to children. I want my daughter to not think "bad food," or "good food," in terms of fat. I want her to think, "healthy" or "unhealthy," and create a good balance between the two.

Thirdly - using photos of fat children as a warning sign does not sit well with me. Fat should not be the problem. Avoiding fat should not be the goal. Avoiding POOR HEALTH should be. This just sends the message that "fat is bad," because "eating bad food makes you fat... which is bad." I don't like that message. I want HEALTHY IS GOOD, UNHEALTHY IS UNDESIRABLE... but I don't want fat to come into it. I do not agree to my daughter sitting here, eating a Maccas burger on the way home from a long day out, where we stop to get takeaway cos we have several hours of driving and well... that's just what you do on those nights... fearing that it'll make her fat. I want her to not give a care about eating it... because it's NOT a common occurance and it's OKAY to eat unhealthy foods at times.

A burger is no less unhealthy for a skinny person as it is a fat person, and yet fat is targetted. Sorry, but it's sh*t for a 45kg woman just as it is sh*t for a 120kg woman. Neither should be eating lots of the stuff... and while some argue that a 45kg wouldn't be eating that much (or else she wouldn't be 45kg) I'd love to introduce you to my SIL... who spends most of her time eating takeaway, and her idea of a home-cooked meal is oven-baked chips, smothered wiht bacon, cheese and ranch... and is probably about all of 50kg at most. I'd love to see the results of a blood test done on her... or how her body is coping in 20 years time.

Lastly - I feel sorry for the kids they used in those pictures. Those are real existing children, and using their image as a "warning" to others is just... well, it just seems kind of disgusting. I don't like that at all.
    I agree with everything Sassy said here.

I would love to see Nutritional panels including the RDI % (recommended daily intake) not warnng labels on take out foods.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast