• Against

10 27.03%
  • Donkey vote cos I honestly wouldnt care one way or the other

11 29.73%
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    What about for those who aren't educated and aren't fit and healthy?
    Well that's why I said I agree with an educational warning label, just not a guilt inducing one.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

Benji  (27-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Warning Labels On Fast Food

Its been ages since i ate maccas. If i recall was about 6 months+ ago

Is it bad that this thread has made me feel like a cheeseburger stuffed with fries and a strawberry thickshake?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I think it would definitely make some parents at least stop and think - i know if something i was feeding my son came with a health warning i would be concerned
    There was a thread on here a year or two ago where people were arguing that McDonald's was ok as it was fresh Australian , natural produce ( yes their marketing worked!) and I was shocked that because they use "100% Australian beef" or whatever it was that people thought it was ok to eat ( forgetting the preservatives in the bun, cheese, sauce, plus the calories, salt, trans fats and the fact most would eat fries which are heart diseases best friend)
    Dunno if this is a myth or not but I heard that the COMPANY name is 100% Australian Beef, but the name doesnt reflect the product. So buyers can say they are using 100% Australian Beef and are not misleading at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Warning Labels On Fast Food

I just looked at their nutrition info on their website - those chicken bite things contain MSG plus a ton of other preservatives and 500mg of salt - do they list all the ingredients on the packet? ( have not been to McDonald's in over 20 years)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How bout in store instead of giving a place mat on the tray with "WIN MORE FOOD" they put the educational information, have a web site. Instead of throwing in more vouchers in the take away bags, throwing in one of those little nutrition books. You can't make people read it but you can provide the option. Bring it into schools, sort of like they do about knowing stranger signs and stuff to help them make better choices as they grown.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CazHazKidz View Post
    Well that's why I said I agree with an educational warning label, just not a guilt inducing one.
    I think some could do with a good guilt inducement. Lol.

I honestly would feel fine looking at that image, or similar, because I know it isn't relevant to me. I do the right things - I have McDonalds maybe 2-3 times per year and if I eat it for lunch, will endeavour to have a healthy dinner. The pic wouldn't make me feel guilt whatsoever.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Warning Labels On Fast Food

For- as long as its not THAT label.

I think most people are oblivious to the amount of sugar, fat, salt, preservatives etc are in foods! This may be a good idea for helping people pick healthier foods for themselves and their families.

I'm a label reader because of DDs allergies and its amazing how much crap is in foods and how many people I know who simply don't understand the daily intake labels.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You know what, I'm going to come out and say it, I'm getting defensive because I feel guilty. I know I shoudn't eat the stuff and I still do. I know I shouldn't feed ANY of it to my kids (even the little bit that I do) but I still do.

So yeah, I wouldn't want to see that label because it would make me feel bad. Maybe I should have voted yes.

I feel like sh!t now, but I deserve to. I am stupid when it comes to food.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Against.

Here's why:

First - It wouldn't work. People who live on this stuff aren't usually clueless to the fact it's unhealthy... they just don't care. They're not going to care seeing that label. They're not going to stop feeding it to their kids. Chances are, their kids are scrawny little things anyway... so many kids I know who are fed a sh*tty diet of junk food and soft drinks are skinny little things. At least until the later years anyway. Those parents will say, "Meh, my skinny kid is healthy!" and ignore it. Pointless.

Secondly - I believe that junk food has its place in life. I think that BANNING or DEMONISING food creates a poor relationship with food. I think making junk normal, as an occasional part of an otherwise healthy diet, is the best way to be. I think making it taboo... making it bad... making it not allowed... is sending the wrong message to children. I want my daughter to not think "bad food," or "good food," in terms of fat. I want her to think, "healthy" or "unhealthy," and create a good balance between the two.

Thirdly - using photos of fat children as a warning sign does not sit well with me. Fat should not be the problem. Avoiding fat should not be the goal. Avoiding POOR HEALTH should be. This just sends the message that "fat is bad," because "eating bad food makes you fat... which is bad." I don't like that message. I want HEALTHY IS GOOD, UNHEALTHY IS UNDESIRABLE... but I don't want fat to come into it. I do not agree to my daughter sitting here, eating a Maccas burger on the way home from a long day out, where we stop to get takeaway cos we have several hours of driving and well... that's just what you do on those nights... fearing that it'll make her fat. I want her to not give a care about eating it... because it's NOT a common occurance and it's OKAY to eat unhealthy foods at times.

A burger is no less unhealthy for a skinny person as it is a fat person, and yet fat is targetted. Sorry, but it's sh*t for a 45kg woman just as it is sh*t for a 120kg woman. Neither should be eating lots of the stuff... and while some argue that a 45kg wouldn't be eating that much (or else she wouldn't be 45kg) I'd love to introduce you to my SIL... who spends most of her time eating takeaway, and her idea of a home-cooked meal is oven-baked chips, smothered wiht bacon, cheese and ranch... and is probably about all of 50kg at most. I'd love to see the results of a blood test done on her... or how her body is coping in 20 years time.

Lastly - I feel sorry for the kids they used in those pictures. Those are real existing children, and using their image as a "warning" to others is just... well, it just seems kind of disgusting. I don't like that at all.
    Last edited by SassyMummy; 27-11-2012 at 15:38.

11. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (28-11-2012),CazHazKidz  (27-11-2012),Guest654  (27-11-2012),halloweendee  (28-11-2012),LoCo  (27-11-2012),LoveLivesHere  (27-11-2012),MsTruth  (27-11-2012),OurLittleBlessing  (27-11-2012),Señor Chang  (27-11-2012),SoThisIsLove  (27-11-2012),squirrelex  (28-11-2012),tannedangel  (27-11-2012)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CazHazKidz View Post
    You know what, I'm going to come out and say it, I'm getting defensive because I feel guilty. I know I shoudn't eat the stuff and I still do. I know I shouldn't feed ANY of it to my kids (even the little bit that I do) but I still do.

So yeah, I wouldn't want to see that label because it would make me feel bad. Maybe I should have voted yes.

I feel like sh!t now, but I deserve to. I am stupid when it comes to food.
    Honestly, dont feel bad. The key is moderation. I personally dont see an issue in a takeaway night once a week. Who cares. If your kids are active and playful etc. etc. I think its fine. I have a massive serve of chips and gravy at least twice a week...at least....I know its **** for me but I want it and its yumm so I have it. Please dont beat yourself up over it

13. The Following User Says Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (27-11-2012)

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast