• Against

10 27.03%
  • Donkey vote cos I honestly wouldnt care one way or the other

11 29.73%
Closed Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Warning Labels On Fast Food

In regards to websites promoting a message similar to "big is beautiful," please don't be confused that this means "obesity is wonderful!"

It's hard enough loving yourself in this world... But being a fat woman can make it so much harder. And you know what doesn't help fatties stop being fat (in a healthy way)?! Shaming them for being fat.

"Big is beautiful," is a fine message to send. It's not that you are beautiful only if you're big... But it's more that being big doesn't stop you from being beautiful... And it's a message bigger women need to believe in order to believe that they're worth good health. That they're worth the time, money and effort it will take the to lose weight. That they are not just disgusting pigs that may as well go crawl into a hole and rot because they're so vile and so lousy they'll never succeed at losing weight. Which, trust me, is how you can feel when you're fat.

Obesity is a problem... But it's not a problem in itself in most instances and it needs to be treated delicately. Saying, "hey fatty... Put down the burger and order a salad," helps nobody. Even the same message delivered sensitively could be counter productive. The person needs to believe they deserve health... And to make them believe that, they've got to believe they're worth more than they're currently giving themselves. That comes from themselves, sure, but it doesn't help to think, "you know,.. I may be fat, but I still look awesome in this outfit!" People that can feel good about themselves are more likely to look after themselves.

We also can't assume that our lessons in nutrition will be the difference between our kid growing up fat or skinny. Takeaway was a luxury in our house. We had it maybe twice yearly. Fruit was your snack. Dinner usually had lots of veges. I still got fat. Once I got access to my own money and the ability to travel without parents, I ate so much junk food. Part of me wonders if its because it was such a treat in my mind, that I wanted it.

As to food addiction and takeaway, a quarter pounder meal was definitely something I loved in my former life, but it was hardly the main reason I it fat. I would have several servings of something. I'd binge on anything I could get my hands on. I would go defrost some meat and cool it up and pig out on it. I'd make myself 5 sandwiches. It was more food at home than takeaway and more due to quantity than how healthy or unhealthy things were. Fast food was such a small part of it.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (29-11-2012),atomicmama  (28-11-2012),CazHazKidz  (29-11-2012),intruderalert1234  (28-11-2012),Laydeebugxxx  (28-11-2012),LoveLivesHere  (28-11-2012),Sonja  (28-11-2012),~ElectricPink~  (29-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Warning Labels On Fast Food

Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    In regards to websites promoting a message similar to "big is beautiful," please don't be confused that this means "obesity is wonderful!"

It's hard enough loving yourself in this world... But being a fat woman can make it so much harder. And you know what doesn't help fatties stop being fat (in a healthy way)?! Shaming them for being fat.

"Big is beautiful," is a fine message to send. It's not that you are beautiful only if you're big... But it's more that being big doesn't stop you from being beautiful... And it's a message bigger women need to believe in order to believe that they're worth good health. That they're worth the time, money and effort it will take the to lose weight. That they are not just disgusting pigs that may as well go crawl into a hole and rot because they're so vile and so lousy they'll never succeed at losing weight. Which, trust me, is how you can feel when you're fat.

Obesity is a problem... But it's not a problem in itself in most instances and it needs to be treated delicately. Saying, "hey fatty... Put down the burger and order a salad," helps nobody. Even the same message delivered sensitively could be counter productive. The person needs to believe they deserve health... And to make them believe that, they've got to believe they're worth more than they're currently giving themselves. That comes from themselves, sure, but it doesn't help to think, "you know,.. I may be fat, but I still look awesome in this outfit!" People that can feel good about themselves are more likely to look after themselves.

We also can't assume that our lessons in nutrition will be the difference between our kid growing up fat or skinny. Takeaway was a luxury in our house. We had it maybe twice yearly. Fruit was your snack. Dinner usually had lots of veges. I still got fat. Once I got access to my own money and the ability to travel without parents, I ate so much junk food. Part of me wonders if its because it was such a treat in my mind, that I wanted it.

As to food addiction and takeaway, a quarter pounder meal was definitely something I loved in my former life, but it was hardly the main reason I it fat. I would have several servings of something. I'd binge on anything I could get my hands on. I would go defrost some meat and cool it up and pig out on it. I'd make myself 5 sandwiches. It was more food at home than takeaway and more due to quantity than how healthy or unhealthy things were. Fast food was such a small part of it.
    I agree, you can be big and beautiful. I just think(personally) people need to recognise that beautiful doesnt‘t always equate to healthy. Obesity runs extremely heavilly in my family, and ive lost count of the times ive begged my mother to start eating healthy because I want her around to see her Grandkids. Unfortunately, i get the ‘‘big is beautiful‘‘ thing thrown at me so often that i get tired of hearing it. Which is aweful, really. It is beautiful, just not healthy. Neither is being extremely underweight. I think most of the people i know take ‘‘big is beautiful‘‘ to mean they should stay obese, because they convince themselves they cant be beautiful if they‘re not.

Unfortunately, in todays society, you just cant win with these things.

Sent from my HUAWEI-U8850 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post

This can be all said about smokers and drinkers too but its not, we dont tip toe or try to make them feel worth being healthy we usually cut them looks, say nasty things to them and tell them to stop being weak just quit. Not everyone thinks big is beautiful I for one think obesity is horrid, there is nothing I can find beautiful about someone that is obese. Do I judge them no but I do judge mothers that are obese its bad I know but all I can think is that poor child is heading for so much teasing at school its not fair to the kids.

Also I was heavy not 3 years ago I was not morbidly obese but I was obese, I felt crap I wouldn't go to my kids school events for fear of embarrassing them, I wouldn't eat in public because I was ashamed for being so big. I got there by over eating and having chocolate everyday, and not getting out and exercising it was all my doing. People told me I was so pretty blah blah blah I knew it was bull crap they didn't really think that there is no way they could really think that I was in any way good looking. I wasn't its that simple I know that that is why I chose to change it I prob wouldn't have gotten so big if someone would have grabbed me and said WTH are you doing stop this your fat stop eating.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    I agree, you can be big and beautiful. I just think(personally) people need to recognise that beautiful doesnt‘t always equate to healthy. Obesity runs extremely heavilly in my family, and ive lost count of the times ive begged my mother to start eating healthy because I want her around to see her Grandkids. Unfortunately, i get the ‘‘big is beautiful‘‘ thing thrown at me so often that i get tired of hearing it. Which is aweful, really. It is beautiful, just not healthy. Neither is being extremely underweight. I think most of the people i know take ‘‘big is beautiful‘‘ to mean they should stay obese, because they convince themselves they cant be beautiful if they‘re not.

Unfortunately, in todays society, you just cant win with these things.

Sent from my HUAWEI-U8850 using BubHub
    I have found this too, I have seen a mutual friend post so many times big is beautiful and she isnt going to lose weight because then she would lose her big breasts that skinny girls are so jealous of. Well those breasts are really going to serve her well when she is dying from complications of obesity.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lovemyfam For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (28-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Donkey. I know how bad junk food and fast food is, yet I still eat it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    This can be all said about smokers and drinkers too but its not, we dont tip toe or try to make them feel worth being healthy we usually cut them looks, say nasty things to them and tell them to stop being weak just quit. Not everyone thinks big is beautiful I for one think obesity is horrid, there is nothing I can find beautiful about someone that is obese. Do I judge them no but I do judge mothers that are obese its bad I know but all I can think is that poor child is heading for so much teasing at school its not fair to the kids.

Also I was heavy not 3 years ago I was not morbidly obese but I was obese, I felt crap I wouldn't go to my kids school events for fear of embarrassing them, I wouldn't eat in public because I was ashamed for being so big. I got there by over eating and having chocolate everyday, and not getting out and exercising it was all my doing. People told me I was so pretty blah blah blah I knew it was bull crap they didn't really think that there is no way they could really think that I was in any way good looking. I wasn't its that simple I know that that is why I chose to change it I prob wouldn't have gotten so big if someone would have grabbed me and said WTH are you doing stop this your fat stop eating.

I have found this too, I have seen a mutual friend post so many times big is beautiful and she isnt going to lose weight because then she would lose her big breasts that skinny girls are so jealous of. Well those breasts are really going to serve her well when she is dying from complications of obesity.
    This is me about 12 months ago. According to bmi, I am obese in this picture.

I think bmi is a load of crap!
    Last edited by Veve; 28-11-2012 at 22:08.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

intruderalert1234  (28-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Warning Labels On Fast Food

Why is someone's beauty decided simply because of their weight?
    That is so shallow.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510b using BubHub

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to intruderalert1234 For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (29-11-2012),Ana Gram  (28-11-2012),lillytheo  (28-11-2012),peanutmonkey  (28-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week

I feel really sorry for you, That you can't see beauty in obese people. You are the one that is really missing out.
    Now if you said you can't see any beauty in obesity that is one thing but to say you see no beauty in the person as a whole, is saying a hell of a lot more about you than them.

Beauty is not just the outside shell, it also comes from with in. I can honestly say I can see beauty in everyone.

I am so very sorry that you felt that way when you were larger but I can tell you that I didn't/don't let my weight stop me from being involved in my kids life. They would rather I was there and being fat and all, than stay at home and hide.

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (29-11-2012),atomicmama  (28-11-2012),Benji  (28-11-2012),intruderalert1234  (28-11-2012),LifeInShadesOfGrey  (28-11-2012),peanutmonkey  (28-11-2012),Purple Lily  (28-11-2012),RobinSparkles  (28-11-2012),shelle65  (28-11-2012),SoThisIsLove  (29-11-2012)

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby star View Post
    Why is someone's beauty decided simply because of their weight?
    That is so shallow.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510b using BubHub
    When you're large it's exactly what you feel.
    Also the fatter you are, the more unhealthy you are and well.. unhealthiness isn't attractive really. Physically and mentally (mentally meaning emotionally, attitudes etc)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    This is me about 12 months ago. According to bmi, I am obese in this picture.

I think bmi is a load of crap!
    Pffft you look great!

There's a website somewhere out there that gives the bmi if actors & pro athletes. Guys like Vin Disel & Dwayne Johnston clock in at morbidly obese.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ChickyBee For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (28-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by αληθη View Post
    When you're large it's exactly what you feel.
    Also the fatter you are, the more unhealthy you are and well.. unhealthiness isn't attractive really. Physically and mentally (mentally meaning emotionally, attitudes etc)
    Doesn't mean you are a lesser person if you are bigger.

I can guarantee that even in the picture above where according to bmi I am obese, but I was much healthier then than most people I know who weigh less than me.

I was at the shops the other day with 2 friends. Now I'm 36 weeks pregnant, still going to the gym 2 times a week, yet still have put on 20kg this pregnancy, and you know what, my size 10 friend was puffed out walking through the shops before I was. I am much healthier than her!