View Poll Results: Warning Labels On Fast Food

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • For

    16 43.24%
  • Against

    10 27.03%
  • Donkey vote cos I honestly wouldnt care one way or the other

    11 29.73%
Closed Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 143
  1. #111
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    2,610
    Thanks
    1,023
    Thanked
    511
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    My colleagues and I spent one lunchtime going through all of the nutritional information on various fast food websites, calibrated for the way we actually order and consume (ie didn't go by the "suggested" options like no cheese, no sauce, water instead of coke etc), and came to the conclusion that McDonald's is a better choice than Subway.
    Really? Why? There goes my idea of if we eat out we should go to subway rather than KFC or Mcdonalds.

  2. #112
    αληθη's Avatar
    αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,961
    Thanks
    3,031
    Thanked
    805
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    KFC is prob the worse, it's so oily! Delicious, but so oily and greasy! D:

    Subway makes me feel fat

  3. #113
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    19,776
    Thanks
    5,212
    Thanked
    7,063
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Subway does have a list of which subs you should order if you are avoiding fat/sodium/whatever on the glass, it's quite handy!

  4. #114
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,765
    Thanks
    1,903
    Thanked
    2,790
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    Really? Why? There goes my idea of if we eat out we should go to subway rather than KFC or Mcdonalds.
    We looked at things like the ingredients in the bread, the ingredients in the sauces, the meatballs and the deli meats, the protein content, sugar content, overall calorie intake etc. It was quite surprising. Subway pack in a LOT of preservatives and other nasty chemicals. Yes you are having a bit more salad than if you were having McDonald's but that's the only area in which it is better.
    Last edited by shelle65; 28-11-2012 at 11:23.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

    αληθη  (28-11-2012),Kiplusthree  (28-11-2012)

  6. #115
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,765
    Thanks
    1,903
    Thanked
    2,790
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    But this is what I don't get. If people were that educated they wouldn't put this cr@p in their mouths let alone their children's. seriously the food at these places is just terrible. If people do want convenience food there are better options out there than McDonalds.
    DD's Dad is a fitness and nutrition freak, he is a qualified personal trainer etc etc etc and he STILL takes DD to McDonald's quite regularly. He knows exactly how bad it is but the delight DD gets from going there with him is something he just can't pass up. There's probably another thread there about Disneyland Dads but anyway...

    My philosophy is that we could be hit by a bus or wiped out in a tsunami next week, so why not take a few enjoyable risks while we're still alive.

  7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

    CazHazKidz  (28-11-2012),αληθη  (28-11-2012),Lovemyfam  (28-11-2012),Maybelline  (28-11-2012),peanutmonkey  (28-11-2012)

  8. #116
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,003
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    My colleagues and I spent one lunchtime going through all of the nutritional information on various fast food websites, calibrated for the way we actually order and consume (ie didn't go by the "suggested" options like no cheese, no sauce, water instead of coke etc), and came to the conclusion that McDonald's is a better choice than Subway.
    Subway is horrible. I would never let my kids eat it.

    For me my hatred of McDonald's is more than just the food you actually consume but how it gets to you. I have major philosophical issues with the fast food chains. I realise they are popular and I realise I'm in the minority.

  9. #117
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,003
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    DD's Dad is a fitness and nutrition freak, he is a qualified personal trainer etc etc etc and he STILL takes DD to McDonald's quite regularly. He knows exactly how bad it is but the delight DD gets from going there with him is something he just can't pass up. There's probably another thread there about Disneyland Dads but anyway...

    My philosophy is that we could be hit by a bus or wiped out in a tsunami next week, so why not take a few enjoyable risks while we're still alive.
    I totally agree that life is to be enjoyed and take a few risks etc. I guess I don't see McDonald's as something to be enjoyed.

  10. #118
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10,315
    Thanks
    3,126
    Thanked
    6,319
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

    Default Warning Labels On Fast Food

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I totally agree that life is to be enjoyed and take a few risks etc. I guess I don't see McDonald's as something to be enjoyed.
    Totally agree - I don't get why people think or tell their kids McDonald's is a treat or fun? What's fun about it? There are far better play grounds and food available ? Maybe it's because I think their food is disgustingly bad I just don't get it -
    my SIL is a McDonald's addict, her parents would take them their every Friday night as a "treat " she eats it maybe 2-3 times a week, she is what i affectionately call a "skinny *****" tall, size 8, great body, not an ounce of fat - but - she is always sick, headaches, migraines, insomnia, bad skin and its totally her diet , she knows it too but just keeps eating it and in turn so do her kids, she used to organise play dates at McDonald's not for the kids but so she could eat it!

  11. #119
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,095
    Thanks
    1,201
    Thanked
    466
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Re: Warning Labels On Fast Food

    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Totally agree - I don't get why people think or tell their kids McDonald's is a treat or fun? What's fun about it? There are far better play grounds and food available ? Maybe it's because I think their food is disgustingly bad I just don't get it -
    my SIL is a McDonald's addict, her parents would take them their every Friday night as a "treat " she eats it maybe 2-3 times a week, she is what i affectionately call a "skinny *****" tall, size 8, great body, not an ounce of fat - but - she is always sick, headaches, migraines, insomnia, bad skin and its totally her diet , she knows it too but just keeps eating it and in turn so do her kids, she used to organise play dates at McDonald's not for the kids but so she could eat it!
    It's also packed with addictive ingrediants, so people who go regularly are usually craving it!

    Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

  12. #120
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,003
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Totally agree - I don't get why people think or tell their kids McDonald's is a treat or fun? What's fun about it? There are far better play grounds and food available ? Maybe it's because I think their food is disgustingly bad I just don't get it -
    my SIL is a McDonald's addict, her parents would take them their every Friday night as a "treat " she eats it maybe 2-3 times a week, she is what i affectionately call a "skinny *****" tall, size 8, great body, not an ounce of fat - but - she is always sick, headaches, migraines, insomnia, bad skin and its totally her diet , she knows it too but just keeps eating it and in turn so do her kids, she used to organise play dates at McDonald's not for the kids but so she could eat it!
    yeah I totally don't get it. I grew up in North Qld and McDonald's was unheard of until I was a teenager but then I didn't like meat so I never went there. I've had maybe 3 maccas burgers in my life. We've never been to a birthday party there, and I haven't gone into one since I was an adult. I know so many people who see it as a real treat for their kids. I had to ask a few friends who would have DD1 for playdates not to give her maccas if they were going there. really awkward as I am so not an uptight parent but I just read some stuff about it many years ago and just can't reconcile what I know with eating there.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Fast Food Baby
    By Witchypoo in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-02-2012, 16:56
  2. Does anyone have any fast food horror stories?
    By jemmajam in forum General Chat
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 30-01-2012, 11:18

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Riverton Leisureplex
An Extreme Family Pass at Riverton Leisureplex is the ultimate way to cool off during the summer school holidays. The $30 Pass allows pool and waterslide access for 2 adults and 2 children, as well as a drink, popcorn and an icy pole for each person.
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
Baby Car Seats and Infant Car Restraints
Buying a baby car seat? Check out our 'go-to' links here!
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!