• Donkey vote cos I honestly wouldnt care one way or the other

11 29.73%
Closed Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I totally agree that society needs to stop making excuses for the obesity/health epidemics, which is why I am for 'warning' labels on fast foods. The OP was about warning labels, not necessarily the overweight children being pictured. I think it would be absolutely fantastic if places like mcdonalds et al were held to a standard where they had to explain, in clear terms, that this burger meal contains more than the recommended saturated fat recommendation, sodium, sugars etc and too much can lead to cancers, hardened arteries. Because some people ARE unaware about nutrition. This doesn't make them stupid, or lazy, or deserving of ridicule. But they do deserve the truth. Just like the cigarette packets - that it can cause cancer.
    Ok if they want to put on the bottom of a big mac box - Can contribute to obesity I would live. But anything else is just over kill, I want to enjoy my burger not have a nutrition lesson lesson from mcdonalds.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lovemyfam For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (28-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by αληθη View Post
    It's bullpoo. It's the government babying us and not letting us make our own decisions. Everyone knows fast food isn't good for you, you don't need blank packaging and warning signs too.
    It's the same as smoking, smokers are going to smoke and making blank packages isn't going to change them unless they weren't happy smoking in the first place.

Gtfo and let us make our own decisions and if it kills us then that's our fault and we should wear it.
    But this is what I don't get. If people were that educated they wouldn't put this cr@p in their mouths let alone their children's. seriously the food at these places is just terrible. If people do want convenience food there are better options out there than McDonalds.

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    But this is what I don't get. If people were that educated they wouldn't put this cr@p in their mouths let alone their children's. seriously the food at these places is just terrible. If people do want convenience food there are better options out there than McDonalds.
    Some people just don't care and that's their thing if they want to kill themselves then let them.
    And when it comes to their kids, well if they want to do that to their kids all the time (not as an every now and then treat) then maybe they shouldn't have kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I would trust McDonalds over a lot of other dodgy fast food places .. Yes the ingredients is full of salt and sugar etc .. But less likely getting food poisoning and other weird bits in your food ..

90./. Good healthy eating. 10 ./. Lazy.. tired on the road food !!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Maybelline For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (28-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree that people need to stop excusing poor diet and health.

I have never been overweight and have always been a very active person, but my relationship with food is just awful. I am constantly gaining and losing weight. Every time I get to a weight that I consider less than desirable, I start another health and fitness freak out, until I'm back to just below the lowest healthy weight for my height, and then go back to my old ways. Every single time.

Now I know I only have myself to blame for this, I should tune friends, family and society out, but I STRUGGLE. Me and food have a love hate relationship, and it is REALLY hard to do the right thing, when you're constantly being told you don't need to.

"why are you dieting? You don't need to lose weight" (when I'm not even dieting, just eating healthy and refusing bad foods.
    "you're such a sheep" following the health and fitness 'fads'
    "You look perfect just the way you are" - maybe I do? But am I healthy? NO!
    "you're too skinny" - when I'm not even skinny at all, just fit
    "you're getting too muscly, not feminine at all" -

These are just a very small amount of the crap that I have to deal with every time I get to my ideal weight, and every time I listen and end up putting it back on.

And of course right now, I'm pregnant. So when I try to do the right thing and refuse high calorie foods or takeaway I'm told "you're pregnant, you need to eat! Worry about it after."

For someone with more self control and conviction than me, and a much healthier relationship with food - these comments probably wouldn't matter. But to me, it's just an excuse to give in to my temptations because everyone is telling me that I should. Sorry to bring up the smoking and alcoholic connection again, but these comments I get are just like telling them that "one more won't hurt". You know? It infuriates me.

Maybe the labels on the boxes would be a good idea, because then I can point at them and say "I'm not eating that, because it will do this to me". But I still think I would get told "it doesn't refer to you because you're not overweight.

Argh, I went totally off topic, but it drives me nuts.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (28-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I really don't see the issue of warnings on the food - that it contains a HUGE percentage of your daily recommended intakes, if not more. That too much can lead to all sorts of health problems.

This isn't to say they need warnings like "do not eat this food, even as a rare treat", that's not what would happen.

If people eat it as a rare 'treat' and are aware of the possible health outcomes, it's not a problem and the warnings wouldn't be relevant to you.

I think a lot of people want to bury their heads in the sand - I enjoy it very very rarely and I am semi-aware of just how bad it is. I would have no problem if my meal warned me point blank just how much sodium/trans fat/saturated fat/sugars it contained.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (28-11-2012),SoThisIsLove  (29-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Agree Caz, in fact, a popular phrase seems to be "she needs a burger". No, nobody 'needs' a burger!

Thanks
    Reviews
    What about more warnings to people who live on busy roads who have the huge fumes slowly poisoning them to death.. Causing autism in children .. Can we put this on a sign ?

Sorry bit off topic .. But i was just thinking about !!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post
    What about more warnings to people who live on busy roads who have the huge fumes slowly poisoning them to death.. Causing autism in children .. Can we put this on a sign ?

Sorry bit off topic .. But i was just thinking about !!
    And while we're at it, ANTIBIOTICS! There should be an obvious label on every bottle of antibiotics that you must also take a probiotic. Or better yet, every doctor that prescribes antibiotics, should also prescribe a probiotic to be purchased at the same time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My colleagues and I spent one lunchtime going through all of the nutritional information on various fast food websites, calibrated for the way we actually order and consume (ie didn't go by the "suggested" options like no cheese, no sauce, water instead of coke etc), and came to the conclusion that McDonald's is a better choice than Subway.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (28-11-2012),αληθη  (28-11-2012),Maybelline  (28-11-2012)