• Against

10 27.03%
  • Donkey vote cos I honestly wouldnt care one way or the other

11 29.73%
Closed Thread
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    The difference is an alcoholic or drug addict doesn't need them to stay alive. Food is an essential part of survival. You need to eat food 3 - 5 times a day. We don't give alcoholics a drink.
    I know I got that from sassy's post. But you don't need fast or junk food to stay alive so if the addiction is partially to fast food then I do see a similarity.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Warning Labels On Fast Food

Ooh this is a good topic. Will they label all soft drink and sugary foods because it's not just the fast food.

We know more about food than ever before. People know what they should put in their bodies. I don't think we should need to stick gross labels on all junk food. One person's every day pig out is another's monthly treat. I want my family to be able to eat McDonald's guilt-free and not to associate food with gross images. I don't want anyone else to trigger a weird disordered approach to eating anymore than the messages that are already out there.

I live in a tiny country town 2 hours from McDonalds or any fast food chain (there is a take away shop attached to the servo though) where kids run around in the back and front yard, ride bikes and live a life like I got to as a kid. Adults socislise at the gym and sporting activities and at swimming lessons/clubs for the kids during the week because theres not much else to do. When kids are running around half the day, a monthly treat of chicken nuggets and chips from maccas isn't going to hurt them. It's a minuscule part of their diet and they really do have high energy requirements.

Since moving here I've realised that convenience kills. Energy in and energy out matters but shouldn't be a big deal if kids were able to be as active as we were as kids.

Everyone needs to take responsibility for their actions. It's not the governments job to ensure you and your kids are eating the right things. That's your responsibility. The info is out there. No one can plead ignorance anymore. Some people can't be bothered doing the right thing for themselves and their kids and ultimately, you can't save everyone.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MMelissa For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (28-11-2012),αληθη  (28-11-2012),Lovemyfam  (28-11-2012),Maybelline  (28-11-2012),OurLittleBlessing  (28-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'm not certain it isn't the Government's 'job' per se - but they sure are the ones who end up having to budget for the consequences! So absolutely they should be able to restrict/policy/watch what we eat. There are loads of health initiatives out there and no doubt there will be more to come.

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

It's bullpoo. It's the government babying us and not letting us make our own decisions. Everyone knows fast food isn't good for you, you don't need blank packaging and warning signs too.
    It's the same as smoking, smokers are going to smoke and making blank packages isn't going to change them unless they weren't happy smoking in the first place.

Gtfo and let us make our own decisions and if it kills us then that's our fault and we should wear it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to αληθη For This Useful Post:

Lovemyfam  (28-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm never eating maccas again

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

Benji  (28-11-2012)

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by MMelissa View Post
    Ooh this is a good topic. Will they label all soft drink and sugary foods because it's not just the fast food.

We know more about food than ever before. People know what they should put in their bodies. I don't think we should need to stick gross labels on all junk food. One person's every day pig out is another's monthly treat. I want my family to be able to eat McDonald's guilt-free and not to associate food with gross images. I don't want anyone else to trigger a weird disordered approach to eating anymore than the messages that are already out there.

I live in a tiny country town 2 hours from McDonalds or any fast food chain (there is a take away shop attached to the servo though) where kids run around in the back and front yard, ride bikes and live a life like I got to as a kid. Adults socislise at the gym and sporting activities and at swimming lessons/clubs for the kids during the week because theres not much else to do. When kids are running around half the day, a monthly treat of chicken nuggets and chips from maccas isn't going to hurt them. It's a minuscule part of their diet and they really do have high energy requirements.

Since moving here I've realised that convenience kills. Energy in and energy out matters but shouldn't be a big deal if kids were able to be as active as we were as kids.

Everyone needs to take responsibility for their actions. It's not the governments job to ensure you and your kids are eating the right things. That's your responsibility. The info is out there. No one can plead ignorance anymore. Some people can't be bothered doing the right thing for themselves and their kids and ultimately, you can't save everyone.
    Exactly, exactly, exactly, this!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Surely the smoking campaigns have worked though considering now only 18% of men and 14% of women smoke cigarettes? It would have been a much, much higher percentage than that at one point.

I don't particularly want hospitals continuously filled with sick people who have preventable diseases. That affects the entire community so IMO it's the community's (inc govt) job to assist people with getting better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Surely the smoking campaigns have worked though considering now only 18% of men and 14% of women smoke cigarettes? It would have been a much, much higher percentage than that at one point.

I don't particularly want hospitals continuously filled with sick people who have preventable diseases. That affects the entire community so IMO it's the community's (inc govt) job to assist people with getting better.
    This is probably due to every time you go to the drs they ask if you smoke, and then lecture you. We are taught in school about smoking and drinking but never about over eating. We need to treat over eaters like we do smokers and drinkers not tip toe around feelings.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    This is probably due to every time you go to the drs they ask if you smoke, and then lecture you. We are taught in school about smoking and drinking but never about over eating. We need to treat over eaters like we do smokers and drinkers not tip toe around feelings.
    I totally agree that society needs to stop making excuses for the obesity/health epidemics, which is why I am for 'warning' labels on fast foods. The OP was about warning labels, not necessarily the overweight children being pictured. I think it would be absolutely fantastic if places like mcdonalds et al were held to a standard where they had to explain, in clear terms, that this burger meal contains more than the recommended saturated fat recommendation, sodium, sugars etc and too much can lead to cancers, hardened arteries. Because some people ARE unaware about nutrition. This doesn't make them stupid, or lazy, or deserving of ridicule. But they do deserve the truth. Just like the cigarette packets - that it can cause cancer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A study came out recently stating kids are not fat because of the food they consume it is the fact that they don't move!!
    Fast food in very small doses to me isn't that bad .. Smoking is bad full stop!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Maybelline For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (28-11-2012)