+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default my toddler doesnt eat a whole lot, does yours?

My 21mth old dd is not a big eater. Never has been, even as a wee bub. She only ever took what she needed from the breast and no more. When i had to discontunue breastfeeding for personal reasons, i could never get her to finish a full bottle of formula (she was formula fed for 5mths). Looking back at photos of her as a baby, she looked perfect weight wise to me. Chubby face and healthy. However, i was always told she's not the right weight/looks skinny/is tiny/takes after me ect, ect...
    Now as a 21mth old active toddler, she still only ever eats what she needs. This means she pretty much only has 3 set meals a day sometimes not even that. I dont ever force her to eat. If she snacks in between, she will eat less or nothing at all for a main meal. Im not stupid, i feed her appropriately knowing she's not the biggest eater. So when she eats, i try to get in maximum nutrients. She weighs 10kgs, size 0 clothes still fit her.
    When she's teething, i barely get a cup of milk into her.
    At our playgroup, i see kids her age having these big lunchboxes filled with fresh fruit/cheese/bikkies/home made muffins...all of this for morning tea! Then they go home and have lunch! I thought maybe this is very normal for most toddlers? So i tried doing this...nope...dd wouldnt eat even a crumb. Too busy watching the other kids! So now i take a squeezy 75ml pouch of yoghurt for her morning tea and a bottle of water. Then we come home and it's 50/50 chance of me getting any lunch into her. I guess im just a bit envious of the kids at playgroup who eat all this wonderful food! and my dd couldnt care less about it!

The main thing is she's happy, healthy , thriving and meeting her milestones. Very active, never stops except for her nap after lunch (thankgod). My MCHN is not concerned and i have come to terms with her eating habbits. (sort of) Just sometimes i wish she'd be that gobble guts of a toddler lol I get so excited at some of the meals i prepare her..wonderful fresh home made...for her to go "eh"...and turn away. now ive stopped going to any trouble. She is offered our leftovers from the previous night for her dinners and if she doesnt want it then i presume she doesnt need it. No fuss. I am not one to offer numerous different alternatives to get her to eat. I dont allow meal times to be stressful.

Does anyone else struggle at times with a toddler who eats the bare minimum? If she was a chubby bub i dont think it would bother me as much. For some reason i'd think she has plenty of 'stores' lol but dd is very petite! I have a friend who has a one yr old who weighs 14kgs. He is huge. She says he eats normal.
    Why is there such an array of differene in toddlers and their food intake/weight!?!?!
    Is there something im missing or doing wrong?
    I know i shouldnt compare my child to anyone elses but sometimes i just want an idea...iykniw?
    Does my head in as much as i try not to let it
    Last edited by Little Miss Muffet; 27-11-2012 at 14:11.

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

My DS is the same. Just turned 3 and barely eats anything. I usually get him to eat a decent sized meal at dinner time but he's not interested in lunch or breakfast - he prefers to 'graze' all day and like you say, only eats what he needs.

My parents tell me he's not eating enough but he's perfect height and weight so he must be doing something right.

All kids are different and while I would like him to eat more, I'm confident that his body will tell him (without him knowing it) what it needs. My older son is a bit like that too - I don't know too many kids who will say 'no thanks' when offered a chocolate or lolly and ask for tinned corn or carrot sticks instead :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

You are absolutely right in saying all kids are different and as you said as long as she is happy and healthy ( and not dehydrated , lots of wet Nappies and poos!)

some kids just don't eat a lot - my girlfriends son ( DS best friend!) eats like a bird compared to my garbage disposal son and they are both 25 months old

It's great you don't force it or make a big deal, just keep offering food and as you said try nutrient dense food and lots of water , I think it sounds like you are doing a great job

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is 21 months as well, and weighs about 11kg. She's also not a big eater, but rather than having three set meals a day she will eat most of her daily intake in the morning and then just snack for the rest of the day. I'm lucky if she eats a small portion of vegies and rice or pasta for dinner, although she still has 240ml of milk before she goes to bed. She runs around like crazy all day long and she looks super healthy although she is on the smaller side. I just figure if her body is telling her she doesn't need more fuel, I should listen to it and give her what she's telling me she needs *shrug*

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is the same. Just turned 3 and weighs the same she did at 18months. Is a 'picker' even though I make sure she sits down for each meal with us she just isnt interested in food, but is happy and healthy and has never woken up hungry during the night so isn't missing out. On a childcare day all she'll eat for dinner is a yogurt after pushing her meal around the plate...apparently she eats well for them!
    As a baby she'd b/feed 5 hourly from 6 weeks old and be done within 10mins. I tried and tried to feed her more but wasn't interested. A friend in my mothers group had the opposite...baby feeding every 2 hours and would stay on for an hour if she let her, even when she was 18 months old...now at nearly 3 she is like a labrador and they've had to move their snacks to a higher shelf as she'd help herself all day if she could....both are happy healthy and within the right weight for their height.
    Everyone is different. You are her mum and knows whats 'normal' for her, but I know what you mean...its hard not to compare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's refreshing to hear other's are going thru this with their toddlers too Thankyou for sharing and making me feel a little better.
    DD is a poo machine - as one meal goes in, another comes out. She averages 2-3 a day. She has a sipper cup that i leave on her little table for her to help herself to thru out the day. Nappies are not a problem, i do keep an eye on them.
    Sometimes it gets a little tiring when i hear off strangers ect "how old is she?...oh she's so little!...or maybe my dd/ds is big for their age?!"....i used to feel as though i had to defend dd's "smallness" by saying "she's actually a good eater, she just takes what she needs..." but now i dont bother, i just nod and say "she has been all her life"....then i get "was she born term?"....WHAT! grrrr LoL!!! Cant win!
    When she was breast fed she was a 10min feeder - i was told by LC to keep her on longer even tho she'd come off by herself every 10mins and projectile vomit after a kept putting her back on!!! horrible times! When she was first born, she'd go 4-6hrs between feeds (not night tho she cluster fed all night lol). I was told to wake her - even tho i didnt feel right doing so! Needless to say Breastfeeding did not work out. I wish i listened to my instincts a bit more but being a 1st time mum and all, thought everyone else was right
    I agree, i know my little girl better than anyone. Im pretty sure im doing this all right. Is it rare to see a small 21mth old or something?! she's 50th percentile in height 10th percentile in weight. So she's very proportional, just petite looking..size 2-3 shoe lol
    Thanks again for sharing

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is 21 months and weighs 10kg! Hes a fussy eater and doesnt eat much too. If he snacks he wont eat main too!
    I have tried everything but nothing works. Trying my best to give him healthy food an snacks so what ever he does eat are healthy. I dont force him, doesnt work anyway. I sometimes put out a plate of variety of food and he can eat when ever he wants and sometimes it works and he could eat the whole plate in few hours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is 25months she is on the weight chart now which is great as she hasn't been on it for the last 18months. She used to be the opposite to now she gobbled food like there was no tomorrow couldn't stop eating at all but now she is a picker. Always has a weetbix or 2 for brekky but then picks for the rest of the day. She's had so many tests, seeing paeds and paediatric dieticians and weigh ins because she's been so small since about 4months. There were lots of concerns for her healthy but it turns out she's just small and there is nothing to worry about.

I've been told to give her healthy fats as often as possible so avocado on toast of sandwich, cheese, yoghurt, full fat milk but she chooses how much of whatever she wants to eat and usually it's not the full fat things lol. I wouldn't be worried unless she simply stops growing or drying peeing etc.

I'm tol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My toddler, DD2, eats a ridiculously large amount of food for a 2 year old. She weighs 15kg. My 4 y/o eats virtually nothing, and has always been the same. She weighs 16kg. Both kids are offered the same foods, they are just really really different in their appetites.

If she is happy and healthy, then it sounds like you are doing a great job. I know what the stress is like, because I remember trying every trick in the book to get DD1 to eat more food. I promised myself I would relax with my second child and instead I have the opposite problem in that I have to distract her from wanting to eat!