+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tallest and youngest or Tallest and oldest

Both my DS's are very tall one is born on the 27th of march 09 (3yo) and is 116cm and the other is 14june 2010 (2.5yo) - 99cm
    in QLD the school cut off is june 30.
    My DH is all for them starting school in there perspective years reasoning being that they will already be the tallest in their classes but i feel like being they are on the younger end of the spectrum they would be better off being held back a year.

what would want for your kids

to be the tallest and youngest or the tallest and oldest?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Default Re: Tallest and youngest or Tallest and oldest

I personally wouldn't worry about their size, and worry about their readiness for school.

My son is starting next year (he is a may 08 child) and he is average height (110cm) but his size never crossed my mind as to whether to send him or not.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Size isnt a factor when we made our decision to hang out youngest back, hes tiny in size and June 21st so one week in the cut off. He simply would not cope with the aspects of the curriculum and schooling life! Hes doing another year of pre prep and will be one of the eldest when he starts in 2014.

Thanks
    Reviews
    my worry about height is more about them being teased, they are already much much taller then kids there own age

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Default Re: Tallest and youngest or Tallest and oldest

Kids will always find something or other to tease about. It personally wouldn't be a factor for me.

In qld to hold your child back is actually quite difficult, the majority of public schools will simply put your child into year 1 when they start instead of prep, so that they esentially miss out on a year.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    The majority of schools in Qld require that you start them when they say so. It's not exactly a choice you get to make.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (27-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Height is totally irrelevant.

Also considering they're tall for their age anyway, I'm abit confused by the question. They're going to be tall either way.

However going by age alone, I would be holding the June baby back. The March baby is going to be abit more of a complex decision, and it will be something you will need to decide in conjunction with preschool/daycare teachers and maybe even discussion with the prospective school in the months before he's due to start.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks
    Reviews

I wouldn't worry about their height. My son is an end of March (2010) bub and is 108cm tall, he's almost the same size as his big sister who is the youngest in her Kindy class (born end of June 2008). He's much much bigger than all the other younger brothers and sisters of the Kindy kids (all but one of them are older than him, and one is a couple of weeks younger). They'll all go to kindy in the same year, but his height doesn't seem to be a problem at the moment. They all play well together. And honestly I just try not to make too much of a deal about him being so tall, as I figure it will just give him a complex about it. DH is 6'6" so no-one is really surprised about DS's height.

Thanks
    Reviews

I also think height is more of an issue for extremely tall girls.. In terms of their self-esteem..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My nephew is a giant - even when he started prep he was nearly as tall as some of the Grade 6’s - his height HAS been a problem his whole life - and it would have been no matter when he started school.

People have always expected him to behave much older than he is. He was teased and treated differently. Even in prep he needed a larger set of desk and chair at school.

He has started secondary school this year. At 13yo he is as tall as the Y12 kids (over 180cm and still growing) - he's taller than all of his teachers bar 1, and has twice been remonstrated with for being in the wrong area. (He's been asked to leave the Y7 area by teachers unaware that he is 13. ).

No matter when he started he would always have had this problem. The best thing was that he started when he was mature enough to start, and having that confidence and the maturity was essential to be able to cope with school, school work, his peers as well as his obvious difference.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

Maximum22  (27-11-2012)