+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Day and Night mixed up. Problems settling her at night.

Hello!

My little girl is 8 weeks old and I think she has day and night mixed up.
    Let me give you some background: I am currently working but I am able to bring my baby to the office during the day. I started work last monday and its part time at the office and part time at home. Its an office job, so basically I work while also attending to my girl. Its very hard but right now our family is in need of this.

Anyways, back to topic:
    She is awake when I get ready for work (between 6 and 8am) and the she'll fall asleep in the pram while I walk to work. She then sleeps right until midday (with an interruption for a change and a feed). She is drowsy and sleepy during the day.
    When I get home to finish my other half of work, she will fall asleep in the pram again and doesn't want to wake properly. I wake her up for feeding and nappy changes and I talk to her and put her in the bouncer, she wakes up for a little bit but in general tries to get back to sleep. I'ld say, when we are home she is more alert and has about an hour and a half of being awake.

By 5:30 - 6pm she wakes up and is very active, kicking, giggling, looking around. My partner gets home at that point.
    By this time we start having the problem of her refusing to sleep, she will fight sleep for as long as possible sometimes being awake for 5 hours or more (and extremely overtired). We rock her, sing her, walk around the house, put her in the bassinet, put her in the car capsule, put her in the sling, use white music, shush her, swaddle her, unswaddle her, all the lights at home are dim by 8pm, bathe her... we do so much but we always end up with a crying, cranky baby that does not want to settled and just wants to be held and walked around the house... for HOURS!
    At midnight, like a clock, she'll fall asleep and then sleep for about 4 hours.

Oh and she refuses the bassinet or laying flat for that matter, she only falls asleep in the car capsule... but thats a whole other problem I'll post about later on.

she's good at night time waking only once, between 4 and 5am and then going straight to sleep until about 6-8 am where she'll be awake for an hour and then sleep as soon as she goes in the pram.

This has been going on for about 2 weeks. I only started work this week so I don't think that has anything to do with it, it was happening from when I was at home on my own during the day. For me its good to have a sleeping baby at the office but I don't think its right, I'ld like her to be more alert during the day and resting and slowing down come night time.

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED, we have no clue what to do and how to change this pattern.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Hi. I don't really have much advice as such, but my little girl was like this, then come about 3 months, she just snapped out of it and was ready for bed at about 9.30. Sleeps through til about 5, then back down til about 7. At 8 weeks old, they still sleep the majority of the day so it sounds normal to me. Have a look at how much sleep she should be getting at her age. During the day all you can do is expose her to more light and noise etc and then at night make it dark and quiet and calm and eventually she will learn the difference.

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh and if you google the witching hour this will explain the behaviour of babies that do this stuff at night. It's generally between 5-11pm where they are fussy and hard to settle. Totally normal. I think they just grow out of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is 6 weeks old and she was pretty much like that too few weeks ago but a lot better now. I just make sure that night time is dark quiet and boring and day time is fun and bright. I didnt do anything different, i didnt even try to force her back to sleep, she adjusted herself.
    Have you tried to keep her awake slightly longer during the day when shes awake for feed and changes etc?