+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How do you entertain your newborn during busy and free times? Share...

DS2 is 6 weeks+ and he's a really good baby, sleep, eat, play basically like this. I am a SAHM but does a small PT home based job. Just wondering how the rest of you go about entertaining your newborn at home if you need to get busy in the kitchen or with older kids.

I have two musical mobiles at both ends of his cot, both were gifts, one battery operated and has a remote control, another is wind up type. When he's awake and happy, I usually pop him there and he can stay watching the mobile go..I alternate between the two mobiles.

I also have an automatic swing in the lounge and I put him there if needed just for him to be rocked while awake, he also does sleep on times at times.

Other times I sit up with legs up, I place him on my thighs and talk to him at eye level.

I also spend a little time showing him flash cards of contrasting B/W/R patterns so he rotates his head to the left and right...he tends to turn to one side more ATM.

What do you do to entertain our little one?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Pram or carrier as I potter around the house or hang out clothes.

Floor mat as I fold laundry or play puzzles with dd1.

I don't specifically amuse my babies at that age but let them absorb the environment.

Thanks
    Reviews

Our 6 week old likes his bouncer In front of the door. We lock the screen door and let the breeze hit him. Perfect in this weather too. He will stay happy for a good 30 - 60mins. Also worst case and if I can't get to a shower I put him in front of the TV. This is only worst case though. Our LO loves mirrors too, so we have one on his cot, bouncer, play mat and just a freestanding one too.
    We sing and dance. Also I have a reclining high chair which he sits in while I cook, I chat to him all the time in there too.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sarah18 For This Useful Post:

Nicki77  (12-12-2012)

EternalOptimist is offline Never say you have failed until you have reached your last attempt; never say you have reached your last attempt until you have succeeded.
    Thanks
    Reviews

When i need to do things around the house our DS loves his playmat. We also lay him on a blanket on the floor & he looks out the sliding glass door for anything between 30-60 mins. He can see all the trees moving etc which he seems to be totally fascinated with at this stage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah18 View Post
    Our 6 week old likes his bouncer In front of the door. We lock the screen door and let the breeze hit him. Perfect in this weather too. He will stay happy for a good 30 - 60mins. Also worst case and if I can't get to a shower I put him in front of the TV. This is only worst case though. Our LO loves mirrors too, so we have one on his cot, bouncer, play mat and just a freestanding one too.
    We sing and dance. Also I have a reclining high chair which he sits in while I cook, I chat to him all the time in there too.
    How does the reclining high chair look like? My DS constantly wants to be entertained, carried and sit up nowadays. He's 2 months. He's so curious. I wish there's sone gadget I can use to prop him up so he can have good view at things. He can stay lying down for even 10 mins nowadays.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2TwoDSs View Post
    How does the reclining high chair look like? My DS constantly wants to be entertained, carried and sit up nowadays. He's 2 months. He's so curious. I wish there's sone gadget I can use to prop him up so he can have good view at things. He can stay lying down for even 10 mins nowadays.
    What about a rocker or bouncer?
    DD loves hers, and her playmat. 2 months is too young to actually sit upright but later on you can get a bumbo.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2TwoDSs View Post
    Some rockers you can buy have a recline to sit up feature have a hunt around for one of those, bit rDD and DS used the one I have and it was great for the different recline stages

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies!

Btmac, thanks for the pic, nice!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd spent a lot of her time at that age on the floor on her playmat with toys around & above her ... and her favourite toy (her big brother) never too far away. She also spent a fair bit of time in her swing which was a little one that was easy to carry around the house.

I would avoid too much 'play' in the cot if you want strong sleep associations for the cot. I would leave 'play' for the swing, floor, highchair, etc, rather than the place where bubs sleeps.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (12-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    What about a rocker or bouncer?
    DD loves hers, and her playmat. 2 months is too young to actually sit upright but later on you can get a bumbo.
    My DS can only stay on his playgym/mat for a short while. I know 2 months is too young to sit upright, that's why am having a headache...cos he doesnt want to lie down for long even with the musical mobile moving above him.