+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Does anyone else 'experiment' on friends and family?

My nanna always insists you always need to use fresh water from the tap and boil the jug twice before making her a cup of tea.

Load of bull the only time she gets it like that is when she does it herself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    have to say i do it to my sil.
    she says she can taste the dishwashing detergent on our dishes because i don't rinse. if i tell her i have rinsed, she goes on about the difference she makes.
    also she is so fussy about food so i buy capretto and say it's lamb. or chicken garlic mignons and tell her there is no garlic in them. she hates garlic but never seems to notice!
    tonight i gave hubby fried duck eggs instead of chicken eggs as he 'hates' duck eggs. again, clueless

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mum used to try and trick us buy putting cheaper tomato sauce in the rosella glass bottles, would also say she had put it in a bowl from the glass bottle, when it was actually rosella in a plastic bottle.

After a while mum,dad and grandparents got sick of the 3 of us complaining about the sauce tasting yuk so they decided to individually get us to do a blindfolded taste test.

All 3 of us picked rosella in a glass bottle (non salt reduced) every time haha sure backfired on them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing so I can read later...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have an allergy to powdered gloves... I was working in OSHC and took my own gloves into work. Someone had obviously used my gloves and put powdered ones into my little baggy of gloves because I got a massive case of excema the next time I had to do food prep. I had the kids asking me for a week why my hands were yucky all of a sudden!!! I was not happy!!!

I also have allergies to Dish washing liquid (I have to use the palmolive with aloe in it) and also washing powder (I have to use sensitive skin, or expensive ones). My DP didn't know before we got together, and I tried doing the dishes at his one day and ended up with a massive break out. Tried to hide it by moisturising heaps, but it didn't work... He saw it. He also bought a laundry powder I was highly allergic to, and washed my clothes without double checking. I had break outs for months, till we bought new stuff. I am also slightly allergic to cats (they also give me excema) and his cat goes through the entire house!!! I try to make it so that the bedroom is off limits but I always know when he has let the cat in there...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some of these are pretty funny

Nothing anyone has tried to 'trick' me with has ever worked. I am an incredibly fussy eater, but that's because I have sensory issues with food. It's a form of dyspraxia and I am simply unable to 'learn to like' something through trickery or otherwise. My 'dislike' of something is actually an acute inability to stand having it in my mouth. It's so hard! Bread that is more than two days old, the texture is all wrong and I can't stand it. That kind of thing.

It is making this first trimester very difficult since somehow I am having all these weird aversions to food I normally like...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: Does anyone else 'experiment' on friends and family?

Quote Originally Posted by PuppyGuts View Post
    Maybe they didn't want to offend you by telling you that you made a horrible cuppa. I have drunk awful brew at someone's house just to be polite.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    Haha that's what I was thinking. Lol.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaliyahsmummy View Post
    Mum used to try and trick us buy putting cheaper tomato sauce in the rosella glass bottles, would also say she had put it in a bowl from the glass bottle, when it was actually rosella in a plastic bottle.

After a while mum,dad and grandparents got sick of the 3 of us complaining about the sauce tasting yuk so they decided to individually get us to do a blindfolded taste test.

All 3 of us picked rosella in a glass bottle (non salt reduced) every time haha sure backfired on them!
    Funny how you like what you grow up with. I go through a Heinz ketchup bottle a week (has to be ketchup!). Which is gross I know.
    Rosella I think is foul

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This is so funny! (except those who've had real allergic reactions).

My DH is the most un-fussiest person ever, the only thing he doesn't like is jelly and marshmallow (although he quite likes jelly in trifle).
    So when he told me he didn't like too much garlic in things, it made me wonder why he loves my cooking because I use an OBSCENE amount of garlic in particular dishes... and I mean A LOT! Like imagine what you would consider a large amount of garlic, and then triple it, that's what I use.
    When I told him this, he said 'Oh... well I must like garlic then!' Hahaha

My next story isn't so much about being fussy, but definitely the mind over matter thing coming into play.
    Years ago DH worked at a place where they'd have Hot Chip Friday every week. One of the guys in the office (who was a nice guy, but extremely pedantic) loved drowning his chips in vinegar. The boys thought they'd play a little prank on him and over a number of weeks they slowly diluted his vinegar down to the point where it was about 90% water.
    This guy never noticed and still happily drowned his chips with what was essentially just water and raved on about how delicious it was.... "You guys don't know what you're missing out on, Mmmm mmmm"
    What's even funnier is that once at his place we noticed that he had like 6 bottles of this type of vinegar in his kitchen, so you would think he would've noticed the difference, but he didn't!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by EchoSummers View Post
    Some of these are pretty funny

Nothing anyone has tried to 'trick' me with has ever worked. I am an incredibly fussy eater, but that's because I have sensory issues with food. It's a form of dyspraxia and I am simply unable to 'learn to like' something through trickery or otherwise. My 'dislike' of something is actually an acute inability to stand having it in my mouth. It's so hard! Bread that is more than two days old, the texture is all wrong and I can't stand it. That kind of thing.

It is making this first trimester very difficult since somehow I am having all these weird aversions to food I normally like...
    This is interesting..... i think i might have something like this. I have been like this almost my whole life and just put it down to being a fussy eater. I didnt know there was a 'label' for it.

I cannot be forced to try foods or food combinations until my mind is really to try it. I almost have a phobia of trying foods i am not comfortable with in fear that i will immediately throw it back up again. For example, i have NEVER in my life tried bacon on bread, and never wanted too until one day over in London woke up and said to my friend 'I want a bacon baguette' my mind was ready to try it and i actually really really like it.

The list of foods and meals i eat is waaaay shorter than the list i dont eat.