+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Please dont muck around with allergies. I am allergic to almonds - it makes my skin peel - not straight away but within a short time. Last week at work someone made a orange cake and gave me a slice - within a few minutes I felt my mouth start to tingle and the work colleague admitted there was 'some' almond meal in the cake. Her excuse was that even though she knew I was allergic to almonds, she'd made cakes for work on other occasions and I'd never complained - missing the fact I hadn't eaten any of her cakes before. I take people at face value when they say they don't like/want a certain food item.

I respect my kids likes/dislikes but they are obliged to try a food several times before they are allowed to definitively say they don't like food.

Ds will not eat eggs - he has never liked eggs even as a small child. He won't eat quiche or any food where the egg is an over riding flavour. You can't sneak egg into a food either - as he will taste it and say he doesn't like it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I dont like avocado but can ignore it in sushi. I'll leave it behind in salad. And if someone blends it with tomato and cream cheese to make a dip then I'll happily eat it, because that gets rid of the icky texture which is what I don't like about it.

The other day I made do with milk. I had a carton of LL milk and a bottle of skim milk, so I mixed them and the kids happily drank the milk out of the milk bottle because they thought it was normal milk.

DD5 refuses to eat lamb (because she was given a toy lamb for her 5th birthday). I will not lie and fool her into eating lamb because it is a moral objection.

However, when it is just someone suggesting they dislike something, it is good to test it to see if they really don't like it. I've done so with my favourite childhood meal - steak'n'kidney - but my eldest didn't like it. So after one test that was it, I never served it to her again.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Does anyone else 'experiment' on friends and family?

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    My ds wont eat roast pork but adores crunchy chicken lol (aka roast pork)

No terrible stunts on my dh but I do play some awesome practical jokes. THE best one was when I smuggled a party popper into bed in the hip of my knickers. There were kids going past our house on the way to the beach and I woke him telling him I heard a noise. He laid still listening intently and I pulled the popper. It lit up the whole bedroom and the look on his face was priceless. He thought that he had been shot or something lol. He literally shat his pants.... rofl! We both laugh hysterically all this time after recalling it (yes there are tears in my eyes just retelling the story )

from a galaxy far far away...
    Had to reply- there were tears in my eyes laughing reading this!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When I was a little girl, maybe 8. My nanna served me up some "Steak" and veggies. I gave the "Steak" a good looking over and realised she was trying to feed me liver. Was not happy! She had to take it off my plate and I wouldnt eat my mashed potato either because the liver had touched it! They were always cranky they couldnt fool me!

My DF says he isnt fussy but he is.
    Doesnt like mince meat (exception of spag bol and tacos)
    Any bread that isnt white
    The crust on bread
    Anything with a tomato base (exception bolognaise)
    Leftovers
    Lasagne
    Singapore noodles/Laksa or anything that has rice noodles in it
    Coconut
    Almonds
    Cake/pudding
    Biscuits or cookies that arent chewy
    Pork
    Sausages
    Rissoles of any sort
    Salad (exception salads that have creamy dressing)
    Sausage rolls

Thats all I can think of right now, but I know there is more. Makes coming up with meals frustrating sometimes, especially when he is like "Oh, Ill eat anything" No. You wont. I hate it when DF makes me a cup of tea. He puts the tea bag in and the sugar...then he puts the milk in before the hot water. It drives me insane because it makes my tea taste terrible!

As for "experimenting" the only thing I can think of is cutting veggies up really small to add to meals when my brother was little and refused to eat them. Oh and my pop swears black and blue that he detests garlic and can smell and taste it in anything. Well thats a lie, cos both my mum and I have cooked for him over the years and put garlic in the food and he didnt notice. DF will occasionally try to come up with a reason why he cant have or use something to which I just laugh and tell him its okay to say he doesnt like it

5. The Following User Says Thank You to starflame For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (27-11-2012)

BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Sassy mummy, your DP sounds like my ex in the food dept.

DH I have only don't things like anchovies in sauces. But nothing major. He is pretty easy going on what he eats. He does have preferences but they are easily worked around.

I do have an uncle who always complained that my aunts rissoles were never as good as her mothers. The only difference? He didn't like onion so it wast allowed in the house.. My grandmother always uses onion in her rissoles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    I can actually tell if people put the water in my coffee first, it tastes bitter... DH does it all the time.
    The people I 'tested' said the exact same thing. And nup they couldn't tell. EVERY.SINGLE.PERSON. I've done this too hasn't been able to tell, so I seriously doubt anyone can.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by starflame View Post
    He puts the tea bag in and the sugar...then he puts the milk in before the hot water. It drives me insane because it makes my tea taste terrible!
    Oh my goodness. Have you explained to him why this is absolutely outrageous way to make tea!? The whole point of boiling water is to brew the tea. Ahhh!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjalee View Post
    This thread has made me realise how fussy I can be whooops haha not with food, I'll pretty much eat anything when it comes to meat/vegies.

But I'll only use one type of toilet paper, tooth paste, body wash, I only like weetbox and not the homebrand version (I swear they taste different), I only like Brownes Hilo milk and get annoyed when DH buys another version, I hate lollies that aren't Allens and chocolate that isn't cadbury. Oh god I wonder how annoyed my DH gets at me?!?!
    You do not know the heavenly goodness of Lindt!!! Oh glorious Lindt!!! nomnomnom!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Deserama For This Useful Post:

SassyMummy  (27-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deserama View Post
    The people I 'tested' said the exact same thing. And nup they couldn't tell. EVERY.SINGLE.PERSON. I've done this too hasn't been able to tell, so I seriously doubt anyone can.
    Well, i LOVE my coffee - you haven't tried me and I can tell you that i know when the water goes in first by the taste and can easily taste the difference!

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have to reply... I think my DH could be THE fussiest eater on the planet. All he eats is white fish (no other seafood, just plain, filleted white fish like flake, or tinned tuna), cheese, pasta, rice, corn, bread- pretty much just white and yellow food. No meat/salad/vegies (pumpkin soup he does eat occasionally), no fruit.
    There's a great vegetarian product that even I love (I eat almost everything) called "Quorn".. they make "fake" stuff (snitzel, burgers etc..) so I cook him that most of the time; if I'm having a roast, he gets the "fake" roast.

When we first got together, we went to my mum's for dinner, she made crumbed crab patties and I told him it was tuna- he ate it! But, that was the one and only time I "tricked" him; I don't see the point in making him eat food he doesn't like or hiding stuff in his food. I'm used to making seperate meals now or just make vegetarian meals for us.
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 27-11-2012 at 19:29.