+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MrsHoward is offline If all I have is you, then I have everything
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Beauty questions...help !

Bit of background...i am 6weeks pregnant with my first. Usually get my hair done at hair dressers every 3 months, wear minimal makeup to work everyday, sometimes heavy (depending on if my skin decides to look like crap) , use face cleansers, toners, moisturisers and color-lasting shampoo and conditioners.

So i have heard conflicting advice from different sources on a range of issues....so here are my questions...would love ur feedback on all if u can

1. If it ok to dye ur hair at all during pregnancy ?
    2. Did you or should you switch to "natural" makeup products, mosturisers and hair products to cut down on the chemicals?
    3. Can using all these products affect the baby ? I am freaking out thinking i will absorb them and it will affect the baby in some way !

Sounds a little over the top but this is my first time and i have no idea !
    Thank u

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

There's no research done into the effects of these things in pregnancy because its unethical to test on pregnant women.

I dyed my hair.

I still wore make up.

Make up ingredients in our country are not allowed to be therapeutic and thus do not penetrate the skin so the damage the chemicals can do will most like be only affecting the epidermis (the outermost layer of the skin).

You can switch to mineral products instead anyway... They're said to be better for the skin overall... But it's got nothing to do with pregnancy, just the skin.

I don't know much about hair though... I'm studying beauty not hair.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations!
    I know what you mean! I was totally paranoid and still am!! I didn't dye my hair till the end of my last trimester, but the recommendation is to avoid it during the first trimester. I also stopped getting my nails done. I didn't stop using make up but I don't use a lot I did however stop using lipstick and bough a natural lip balm. I would be more worried about cleaning products that make up.
    My motto was "why risk it"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi! I had the same queries with my first as you hear so many stories from others. I decided to continue what I had been doing previously, afterall how can a pregnant woman be glowing and look beautiful if she has half a head of re growth

The hair and makeup were what kept me feeling good during the bloated times!

I was in Japan snowboarding, eating sushi, having communal hot baths before I found out at 9 weeks! Figured if bubba survived that then a bit of pampering would be fine
    Enjoy your pregnancy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There are far more toxins that go in your body on a daily basis that hair dye and make up are nothing to worry about !!
    I waited till end if first trimester to dye hair .. Just felt like it was a good idea ..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dyed my hair and work makeup all throughout my pregnancy

THe only thing I stopped was getting my nails done at the dodgy chain places, because I was so paranoid about the chemical smell!

Thanks
    Reviews

I don't think it would be an issue but I just stopped dying my hair as a personal choice (and saved the $$$ for more baby stuff lol)
    I was more concerned about the fumes from the dye then absorbing it.

I still wore makeup as usual

MrsHoward is offline If all I have is you, then I have everything
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Beauty questions...help !

Thanks ladies !! That is MOST helpful.
    I think i will wait till after the first trimester! And keep doing what i do. Maybe a few natural products won't hurt to try.
    Im glad im not the only one paranoid

And i totally agree....how can we be all "glowy" and feel beautiful if we stop treating ourselves to a beauty treatment every now and then :thumbup:
    Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I kept colouring my hair and used beauty/makeup products. I remember my first hair appointment i did mention to her that i was pregnant and asked about the chemicals/smells and the hairdresser said that with the products today it will be fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My understanding is that the only skincare you can't use is anything containing vitamin A or retinol as it can cause birth defects.
    I don't dye my hair, but I am still wearing makeup, doing my own mani/pedi every week, and slathering my body in various anti stretch-mark creams and oils.