+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Blocked duct/mastitis

Hi all

Last night I woke up with a really full breast and quite hard and painful on the outside.

Immediately started worrying about mastitis so tried heat on it then fed on that side first for the next couple of feeds.

It has gotten a lot better since then and I've been continuing the heat and massage and feeding on that side.

Went to child health today and she has helped me do the football hold so LO is on the side it is blocked. She also suggested putting cabbage leaves on the affected area, not the whole breast. And to be aware that it will make me leak but not give stimulation so it could affect my supply and I would then need to feed 2 times to the 1 on the other side to increase it and just express some from the other side so it doesn't drop off.

so I bought the cabbage while at the supermarket but I am yet to use it as so far I have been doing really well with bfing and I don't want my supply to become an issue.

has anyone tried this solution and be able to offer their experience?

tia

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I haven't tried cabbage leaves but have had several blocked ducts in the last few months. I find that frequent feeding (as in more often than just what is demanded) in a variety of positions (always offering the affected boob first) plus expressing works well for me. I will often lie down with DS2 for a sleep or a nap with him attached to the affected boob so even though he's not feeding per se, he's constantly suckling and keeping the boob drained.
    Good luck - it can be really painful!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    I haven't tried cabbage leaves but have had several blocked ducts in the last few months. I find that frequent feeding (as in more often than just what is demanded) in a variety of positions (always offering the affected boob first) plus expressing works well for me. I will often lie down with DS2 for a sleep or a nap with him attached to the affected boob so even though he's not feeding per se, he's constantly suckling and keeping the boob drained.
    Good luck - it can be really painful!
    So when you say more often than demanded, did you wake LO for feeds and how often we're you feeding?

Usually he feeds every 3 hrs during the day, but is currently asleep and hasn't woken yet and it's been about 3.5 hrs.

we have both been unwell the last 4 days so I didn't really want to wake him but also worried about making the blockage worse.

Thanks
    Reviews

I offer every 1.5-2 hours during the day and co sleep for part of the night. DS2 is a guts and will feed whenever a boob is shoved in his mouth :-/ I'm also fortunate that I can take him out of his cot at night, feed him & put him back without any drama.

If feeding that often doesn't work then I express instead (at least 2 feeds/expressing overnight works for me)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes several bfg mums old me cabbage leaves really worked for them, not sure frozen or refrigerated. It helps with engorgement and it will reduce the milk in that breast, I have no idea how it does that.

When I had mastitis, the LC told me to use cold pack on the affected area to let the milk return to the ducts...then hand express or bf on that side...then use cabbage leaves on that breast.

you can try the leaves but o much can Ffestiniog the supply on that side. If it gets worse you must see a GP for antibiotics. Mastitis is horrible and it can affect the supply on that side if bit treated. It can lead to abscesses too.

can you express if bubs still sleeping? By hand or pump.

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews

You might also like to try taking a decent probiotic and some lethicin. Both have been shown to help blocked ducts.

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews

You might also like to try taking a decent probiotic and some lethicin. Both have been shown to help blocked ducts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the advice ladies. I perservered with the heat and massage yesterday and the extremely odd feeling football hold feeding on that side. It seems to have gotten a bit better. Definately hasn't gotten any worse which is good.

still too scared to try the cabbage leaves.

Thanks
    Reviews

After I've had a blocked duct I've still had a feeling like it's bruised for up to a week afterwards. It can be painful to keep massaging and checking for lumps but you need to just to keep on top of it. I just had one on Friday and the soreness only went away yesterday.

Thanks
    Reviews

Wherever baby's nose or chin is pointing will also drain best, so u may end up in an awkward position but just keep persisting! Good luck