+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What am I doing wrong - 2 x 1 year olds out of control!

Hi ladies.

Okay, two different issues here.

My DD is an easy, beautiful, placid natured child. HOWEVER - the last 2 weeks she has woken up at 4am screaming and won't go back to sleep and hence wakes her brother up. This is a child that self settles, has no dummy to sleep, is ususally a dream to deal with. She was a fantastic sleeper until now, i'm going out of my mind!

My DS is a very, very attention seeking child. Needs to be sitting on my lap or climbing my legs or pulling at my skirt or yelling out to make sure I know he's there. Total opposite - fabulous sleeper though, no complaints in this department. What I will mention is he has become so very, very demanding and if I chase him when he's going somewhere he shouldn't he kicks and screams and throws a massive tantrum (at 13 months.... really?? ) YES really. He has also decided he won't be put in a highchar, he won't sit in a stroller and he won't go back to self settling. Uhhhhh i'm the boss though right? Someone shed some light on this.

We are considering trying for number 3 however the last 2 weeks i'm majorly reconsidering!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What am I doing wrong - 2 x 1 year olds out of control!

Subbing because I am having similar problems with my 13month old!

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    *hugz* twins are hard.

I can only offer what we used to do in those kind of circumstances.

If they woke up early, we'd just bring them out, put on a Wiggles or Hi-5 DVD and let them watch that. I promise you they won't be doing it forever, but it might be a few years of early mornings. Use the time wisely it's an excellent time of day. Do some cooking, prep up dinner in the slow cooker, bake something or make some jelly, put the washing on (or if it's light, hang it out) grab a shower... by 6am you'll have done most of your housework and can enjoy the day! It does take getting used to, but if you can capitalise on it, it really has great benefits. (Go to bed earlier!) DH and I would take it in turns to get up with them at 4.

In terms of your DS- that's a hard one...my two were extremely spirited and threw big tantrums early as well... I'd just turn my back on them and go do something with the other twin, or somewhere else in the house.

We had our house completely baby-proofed so it was safe for me to do that. And I found that food snacks were a great distraction for strollers and car seats. Or toys that make weird noises that they only had when they were in the pram.

Good Luck! Hopefully others can be more helpful, but that's how we survived it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks.

It really helps to know that i'm not the only one with "highly spirited" twins I didn't expect a walk in the park but they went from manageable to needing a zoo keeper on hand. Mainly for Oliver (I have one too )

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Must be the name

It's 'supposed' to mean "bringer of peace" lol... yes there's peace, when he gets his own way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My 13mo dd is a real challenge too and I could imagine 2 of her and it wouldn't be pretty! She's very determined & stubborn and if she doesn't want to do something then it's really hard to convince her otherwise. We've just gone through 2 long months of her waking 3 - 5 times a night (more often 5 times) thanks to illness (ear infection), then her molars ... all 4 came through one after the other. FINALLY in the last few days she's stopped crawling and now exclusively walks and she's sleeping better, now only waking 1 - 2 times a night. She's now in the climbing phase and climbing all over the chairs in the lounge room and trying to climb wherever else she gets a chance.

I would suspect the molars could be causing part of the sudden change, but also this is a massive time for development of walking, talking and lots of other things. I remember my ds was changing so rapidly from 12 to 24 months, at times doing things like having a new word a day. It's fun to see them grow & change literally before your eyes, but it's an ever changing 'game' as to how on earth to manage them at each stage along the way. I say persist with what you want to do ... if you want him in a highchair (and let's face it, as a 13mo twin you do), then keep putting him in it. He will fight it, but hopefully with time he will come to understand it is not negotiable. Just set your boundaries and stick to them. And consider panadol for your dd if you think it could be her molars.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Op, I am certainly no expert, but with my DS who is now 14 months when he started to cry when he was put into the pram or car seat I just put him in anyway. He cried for a minute or 2 and then was distracted by something else. He tried it a few times and then quickly realised it wasn't going to work and is now fine again. He gets grumpy if he is in there for too long, but that is understandable as he wants to be out exploring.

I do always tell him in advance what we are doing and why too "that we are going in the car to go to the park so that he can play, or the shops and that he can have a banana when we get there" I'm not sure he completely understands yet but he will eventually.