+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How do you manage your climbing toddler?

My almost 14mo dd is a climber. I'm not sure what to do (if anything) and I'm after suggestions from other parents of climbers.

She takes particular delight in climbing onto one of the two recliners in the lounge room. She can get up in under 5 seconds so I literally turn around and she's up grinning at me. I tried taking her off & putting her on her couch every time she did it today, but it hasn't worked so far and I'm wondering if that gives her attention which could make it worse.

The only thing that seems to work is for me to sit on the recliner myself and then she'll happily go & play with her other toys (or climb on my lap which I don't mind). BUT, that doesn't allow me time to eat, drink, let alone do anything else!

Our carpet is old & pretty threadbare and she likes to stand up on the recliner, not just sit, which is why I'm worried about her falling.

Thanks for your advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

We have a climber too! The first thing my DH did was to teach dd1 to safely climb down sofas, stairs, chairs etc. So from 7/8mths she could get herself up and down everything no probs.

Bookshelves and the dining table we put playpens around as she could scale them at 9mths.

Thanks
    Reviews

We have a climber too! The first thing my DH did was to teach dd1 to safely climb down sofas, stairs, chairs etc. So from 7/8mths she could get herself up and down everything no probs.

Bookshelves and the dining table we put playpens around as she could scale them at 9mths.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Same as PP - I taught DS (14mths) to climb down safely. So on his belly and feet first IYKWIM. It was the only option as he climbs within seconds!

He still occasionally has a tumble in to the carpet, but most times does it right. I put his little couch under the recliner he loves to climb on too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

DS is able to climb on a swinging chair and then into the phone table!! Lol until I got am play pen

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mikayla is the most insane climber I have ever met. She does NOT stop, and can get up on anything, and does, all day long!

As with previous posters, My first step was teaching her to get down safely, which she does quite well.

Basically every time she climbs on something she shouldn't I just say "uh uh, no climbing in the house please" and re-direct her elsewhere. Trying to teach her climbing is for outdoor play equipment only. Not having much success as of yet, but I'm sure if I continue to pull her up on it every single time she will eventually get the drift.

The worst thing about a climber is you can't take your eyes off them EVER ever. Not even for a moment so you can go to the toilet. Lol. They have to be within your view constantly no exceptions. Makes it a little difficult particularly when you have other children to watch too!

Oh and I detest playpens. I would never put her in a playpen. Playpens around the offending furniture cool, but closing her into a playpen no way.
    Last edited by CazHazKidz; 26-11-2012 at 13:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have no objections to a playpen, but she does. She learnt how to take it apart about a month ago and can move it easily. SO, we bought a fence with a gate to put across the lounge part of our lounge-dining area (silly mega open plan layout). She was only happy when we had the recliners in the area she plays so she can be close to us. I suppose I should be happy that the stuff she can climb on is mostly limited for now. I'll just keep working on teaching her how to get down safely ... she did it ok an hour or so ago, so that's going ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    its frustrating I know, my boy is not even one yet (he will be this week) and for the last couple of weeks can climb onto the couch, can go "up" the slippery dip and stand up the top. Can climb any toy that meant to sit on! all I do is keep putting him back on the ground and saying no and I also put things around him to cusion his fall... in case he falls. We have climbing monkeys I think!