+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Help!! 5 week old waking at least every 2 hours!!

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions! My baby was sleeping fairly well at night - I was getting 4 hour gaps between feeds! For the past week she has been waking at least every 2 hours if not more and last night she cried a lot and was difficult to resettle! She was kicking her legs and crying as if she had a tummy ache! She's feeding about 3 hourly during the day! I'm so exhausted and just wondering if anyone has any tips or advice!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I know it won't help you get more sleep, but my advice is just to go with the flow. She's still so little. She might be going through a bit of a growth spurt, and some babies become a bit more aware of the world at this stage. Hope you get some more sleep soon!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamilicious For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (26-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thats so normal, they only have little tummies! She could be going through a growth spurt as well. As PP said, go with the flow. Sleep when she does during the day, seriously leave everything else as your sanity and rest comes first. Thats something I struggled with at first, it seems crazy to leave the housework, but I was SO much happier after I did. I would put bub in bed with me, and we would sleep together and it was SO lovely. He'd often wake for a feed and then we'd both drift back off while he fed. Awwww thinking back I miss those snuggles with an itty bitty baby. I dont regret not doing anything else either

Thanks
    Reviews
    The leg kicking can be a sign of wind pain. There are a few different things you can get from the chemist which you can give to a newborn with wind. A warm bath, a nice gently tummy massage, and squeezing bubs legs up can all help with wind and settling too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    if you think bub might have tummy ache, try infants friend/infacol/gripe water. it can be a growth spurt at this time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by ilovehats View Post
    The leg kicking can be a sign of wind pain. There are a few different things you can get from the chemist which you can give to a newborn with wind. A warm bath, a nice gently tummy massage, and squeezing bubs legs up can all help with wind and settling too.
    Yep I was going to say this. Our DS had this from about 5-8 weeks. Some infants friend can help too.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks so much ladies. That was all very reassuring!! I have been pulling her into bed in the early hours when I'm exhausted! I agree they are this little for such a short time and I should enjoy every minute!! I've got a 2.5 year old but I don't remember her waking that frequently! She is definitely having a growth spurt though so that's probably what it is. It's hard when other mums with same aged bubs are all supposedly getting 5 hrs in a row. That's why I thought I might be doing something wrong!! I will carry on then and enjoy the cuddles!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Could it be wind? You could try laying her on her tummy for a little or hiding her around her waist with your forearm on her abdomen if its wind that might help her pass it
    I hope that helps and you get some good sleep soon!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bubbabailey For This Useful Post:

Momkey  (26-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    feeding every 2 hours is extrememly normal for a 5 week old. Tiring but normal. Try to go with it, as hard as it may be and as sleepy as you may be they do need to feed frequently.

The leg kicking thing does sound like she might possibly be a bit windy though, so I'd make sure she sat up straight for a little bit after each feed.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

Momkey  (26-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Feeling reassured now that its totally normal!! Thanks so much! I think my first was obviously a really good sleeper! Unless I've just forgotten hehe