+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jbish is offline “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” Dr Seuss
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Help! My 2.5 year old daughter is rejecting her dad

Good morning all. I've been on the forum for a while now but this is the first time I've posted a new thread.

My 2.5 year old DD has recently started acting very clingy towards me to the point where she will not allow her dad to do anything for her. She says things like "go away daddy", "don't like daddy", hit's him, kicks him, bites and other general bad behaviour towards him.

We have tried talking to her and saying things like "that's not nice, daddy loves you, be nice to daddy" and even asking her why she doesn't like daddy to which we don't get a reply.

My partner is a very loving father, he dotes on out daughter and is very patient and kind. I have been thinking alot about it lately and can't seem to figure out what might have happened, if anything, that has triggered this behaviour.

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar and can offer any advice or tips. It's really getting exhausting and is heartbreaking for my partner because he is now starting to think he's doing something wrong or isn't a good father.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I can't really be of any proper help, as my daughter is only 16 months old, but she hated her dad for the first 13 or so months of her life! She just wanted me, and me only. If he'd pick her up it just meant she wasn't with me, and so she'd carry on and yell for me. She has recently started to ADORE him. It's just something that happened all of a sudden. She now goes running when he gets home from work.

When she's upset she still only wants me and will get very cranky if DH tries to help. Maybe it's just that your daughter wants you, and if her Dad is doing something for her, it means that YOU'RE not doing it, and so it is HIS fault that he's taking away her time from you? I dunno it's a hard one. We just didn't push it. DH always tried to do stuff for her and cuddle her, but if she wanted me to take over I just would. Now she seems to realise her dad isn't trying to take her away from me

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

jbish  (26-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Help! My 2.5 year old daughter is rejecting her dad

Yeah my son is exactly the same... On and off for the past few years. Last time I asked about it everyone told me it was perfectly normal.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy2be3 For This Useful Post:

jbish  (26-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help! My 2.5 year old daughter is rejecting her dad

All children have their favorite , my eldest spread his love to anyone and everyone! He used to make us sad cause it was as though he really didn't care who had him, cared for him, tended to him when sad..
    My middle son was always a daddys boy as of around 2 and now my youngest son has decided I am the bee's knee's and I can't leave him with anyone without hysteria and I have to do everything for him. He also tells dad 'away daddy away' . They eventually start sharing the love again you just have to make sure whoever is not the flavored parent continues to annoy them and show them the love ;-)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kelly8329 For This Useful Post:

jbish  (26-11-2012)

jbish is offline “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” Dr Seuss
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone! You've put me at ease, I wasn't sure if it was a normal thing or not, but it seems i'm definatley not alone.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Help! My 2.5 year old daughter is rejecting her dad

My 2 1/2 year old is the same, screams at his father if he goes near him.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510b using BubHub

10. The Following User Says Thank You to intruderalert1234 For This Useful Post:

jbish  (26-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Very normal! Dd changes her mind regularly but if she wants daddy it's 'go away mummy, I don't want you, you yucky!'

12. The Following User Says Thank You to F&A For This Useful Post:

jbish  (26-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not exactly the same situation as you, but nearly 2yo DS is going through a phase where he only wants DH.

We've just come back from holidays and DH is exhausted because DS would only let him help/ carry/ play with/ do things for him, he would push me away and say 'no' at me all the time! I just took a backseat and let DS come to me on the odd occasion he wanted me, if I tried to intrude on his space he would get quite cranky. Now DH is back at work DS has to put up with me all day, but he still prefers DH when he's home, so I just go with it.

I'm sure it's just a phase they go through, nothing your DH has done. He might just need to give her a little extra space until she's ready to approach him again.
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 26-11-2012 at 13:44.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to decemberbubba For This Useful Post:

jbish  (26-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe dad is just... A jerk!

Just kidding - a stage?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is a mummy's girl, rejects her daddy 98% of the time. DS is a daddy's boy and rejects me as much as he can sometimes. They just go through this. I find in our house it depends on who has had to do the most discipline is generally out of favour!