+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Breastfeeding and Formula feeding in Public Places.

I have tried very hard to increase my supply so I can 100% BF since DS2 was born 6 weeks ago, but sadly I haven't succeeded. Tried motillium, herbs, lots liquid intake, Sns, extra expressing at the pump, latch on...everything I could try I have. I do rest and eat well as I had a nanny come in to take care of bub for 5 weeks. I got mastitis once then DS1 fell so sick for more than a week, life is just too busy.

So dh has gone back to work officially (he worked from home last week) and I resumed my PT work from home.

I have since stopped using the pump and just latch bub on before every feed. Its just too much work for me expressing, washing, sterilising, entertaining bub while i am expressing...not good for my mental wellbeing anyway. He does drink and swallow every time i put him to my breasts but I am not sure how my supply is right now and don't think I should bother, as long as he is getting BM from me.

I am honestly quite scared about going out. So far i have gone out for short periods only, those times I bottle fed formula if he was hungry. I find doing that troublesome as I have to watch the timing and come home to express.

I feel that it will be easy if i managed to 100% BF or 100% FF but I am in between! Would it be strange that I be feeding my bub from my breast and then popping a bottle into his mouth after that? I know I shouldn't be concerned about pple's reaction etc but I am rather self-conscious. Looking for mums who have had similar experiences and how do you manage outdoors eg shopping places or mothers group...? I wish to go out shopping soon with my family but this fear is bothering me. Yet I am not ready to give up on bfg. I do produce BM just not enough to match his demand. Feel like a freak some times. I still want to persist giving him BM till he starts solids at 4months.

Thanks for reading. Sorry for being long-winded.

Also, do you use a bfg cover when you are out in public places? I know nursing tops let you access the breast quickly but it still doesn't over discreetly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    :-) I BF DD and I too was concerned about my supply at the beginning. I was expressing (both to see how much she was eating and so that DH could do some of the feelings) she's not almost 8 months and my supply has caught up and I don't worry about expressing anymore. I'm not a whip it out kinda person so I use a muslin wrap, I tie two ends together and pop it around my neck and voila the cheapest breastfeeding cover ever! I also have a friend who I catch up with a lot and her DS is bottle fed, we both never had an issue with looks or comments from people while out and about.
    My advice would be to go to a shopping center where they have parents rooms so you can go there to feed bub (they usually have private rooms for BF and microwaves for bottles)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks!

Nat11, my ob prescribed for me to take 10mg each time but I read up and took 20mg each, but in my busyness I do forget to faithfully take.

Wow it's amazing you kept up the expressing on top of BF and FF.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Always offer breast first and then top up after if needed. Don't worry about what people will think when you're out. I honestly don't think anyone would be watching you long enough to go oh hey she's breastfeeding, oh hey actually she's not, she's bottle feeding... If they did, they're a bit odd for watching that long, but I don't think anyone would think too hard on it anyways!

I always just fed using a nursing top, or shirt over singlet. I found it very descreet! Nobody could ever see my nipples, or any large amount of flesh at all

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't know I can take so much motilium. My ob doesn't really believe in motilium working. He has the attitude of if it works it works, if not you have done your best, so dont be so hard up. And every time he prescribes, the no of tablets is so meagre I had to keep calling him to prescribe some more...It gets a bit embarrassing...will see him tml for my post natal check up and won't see him anymore after that.

can I get motilium from my GP? Maybe she will be may generous.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I still haven't been able to reduce my motillium intake to 20mg a day and I have been feeding now for almost 18 months. I take about 30mg a day with porridge and tea. When my supply has been really low it can easily be increased to about 60mg and when DD was about 10 weeks I was taking 160mg- all safely with little side effect.

Have you read up on Dr Jack Newmans page about using domperidine, particularly long term? Perhaps if your dose was increased you could drop a few of the comps and make life more bearable?
    Do you mean 20mg a day? If so, I was taking 60mg a day as I took around 3 times a day, but like I said, I was a little lax with taking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Breastfeeding and Formula feeding in Public Places.

I'm mixed feeding, DD has 3-4 BF's a day, other feeds are formula. I do still top up after each bf ( with either formula or ebm, whatever i have) and I just couldn't give a hoot what anyone who might be watching thinks, I know my baby is getting as much BM as I can give her and isn't being left hungry.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (26-11-2012)