+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Installing air conditioner in a rental property

I was a landlord for about three years and can assure you that it wasn't because I was rich and it wasn't because we have large incomes that can cover two mortgages (unfortunately!). We had a house that was nothing flash, but had to move after my husband got a job transfer. So we found tenants for our house and used the rental income to pay for the rent on the place we were living in.

There would be no way on earth that we could have afforded the $1500 outlay for installing air conditioning for our tenants if they'd asked. They could be the best tenants in the world, but that won't make $1500 appear in our bank account.

To the OP, we had a portable air conditioner that we used in the place we were renting. It did the job, but it was quite noisy. The have to be positioned beside a window so that hot air can be sent outside through a duct. They're quite large also and take up a lot of space. I would think that a window unit would be better if you can get approval for it.

Off the top of my head ours was an Omega Altise 1.5hp and set us back around $750.

We still have it in a cupboard somewhere. I really should put it on eBay. Lol.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Here Kitty For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (27-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Here Kitty, what would you have done if (for example) the hot water system died and you had to come up with $1,500 for that?

I know my landlords live hand to mouth and we're fed up because maintenance takes so long because they need time to save and/or find cheapest rates. We're out!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Here Kitty, what would you have done if (for example) the hot water system died and you had to come up with $1,500 for that?

I know my landlords live hand to mouth and we're fed up because maintenance takes so long because they need time to save and/or find cheapest rates. We're out!
    We had an emergency credit card for maintenance

We may not have been able to afford improvements, but I would NEVER expect people to wait for repairs. Ever. That's unacceptable.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Here Kitty For This Useful Post:

Benji  (27-11-2012),peanutmonkey  (27-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Here Kitty View Post
    We had an emergency credit card for maintenance

We may not have been able to afford improvements, but I would NEVER expect people to wait for repairs. Ever. That's unacceptable.
    I think most tenants would be pretty understanding if their landlord explained that they genuinely cannot afford things like air conditioning, although personally if I had an elderly relative move in, or fell pregnant or whatever I would still need to move into an air conditioned house at the end of the lease.

I agree that waiting for repairs is unacceptable, they have actually caused damage due to their delays in responding to repair requests (water damage etc). They're just not cut out to be LLs. We have a commercial property but that is because we aren't just scraping by - we have allowed for things like repairs/hikes in payments/ or even just everyday things like our car needing major repairs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I think most tenants would be pretty understanding if their landlord explained that they genuinely cannot afford things like air conditioning, although personally if I had an elderly relative move in, or fell pregnant or whatever I would still need to move into an air conditioned house at the end of the lease.

I agree that waiting for repairs is unacceptable, they have actually caused damage due to their delays in responding to repair requests (water damage etc). They're just not cut out to be LLs. We have a commercial property but that is because we aren't just scraping by - we have allowed for things like repairs/hikes in payments/ or even just everyday things like our car needing major repairs.
    Before we became landlords we rented a house in Melbourne and the hot water system blew up. it took the LL nearly 2 weeks to fix it. It was unbelievable - it was coming into winter and they just wouldn't fix it. The REA was also hopeless at making it happen.

When we became LLs I swore we would never do anything like that. Most damage is covered by insurance. We've got an old house in Carlton we rent out and it's leaked, windows get broken and blinds and we've fixed it all. It already has air-con but I know we looked at putting in a dishwasher because the tenants asked for it but there wasn't any room.

I would install these items as they are improvements to the property making it easier to rent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I would install these items as they are improvements to the property making it easier to rent.
    Same. I think yes, the outlay may require say $2,000. But if it means tenants won't be leaving at the end of the lease, there's less advertising costs, there's less time between tenants. Sometimes it's worth making a small outlay if it means keeping good tenants.

2 years with no hot water We have learned the hard way that with our LLs once something breaks we send them a breach straight away or threaten to move out.

Thanks
    Reviews

We are moving out this weekend due to slack landlord's. We have never asked for anything except repairs for dangerous faults such as the roof leaking, the gas oven having a leak etc and nothing has ever been done about it in 20 months. We gave them a notice to remedy breach and they still did nothing. We handed our notice of intention to leave form in this morning and what do you know, the maintenance guy is coming out to assess the situation this afternoon. Too little too late as far as we're concerned. I agree with a PP that some people are not cut out to be landlords.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    2 weeks!!! God 2 years I'd have moved by then

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Benji  (27-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well for those saying landlords are wealthy/taken too much on...I disagree! We have become landlords because we both need to study full time for the next 12 months to better our careers and our future - we can't afford our mortgage repayments during this time. If our tenant was to ask for any improvements (not talking about repairs) the answer would be no - we do not have the money for anything like that while it's being rented.

Our R/E (not the tenant) actually TOLD us (not asked!) that they were going to key all the locks the same because it was "annoying using 2 different keys" (not because the locks are faulty) and that they will "get their guy onto it and send us the bill!" Sure it's annoying, I've lived with it for 7 years, but I am sure not going to key all the locks the same just for a R/E agency! I told them to go ahead if they were willing to foot the bill. Not surprisingly I heard no more of it.

As a tenant you signed the lease with no aircon, so don't be too upset if they say no, you could have landlords like us - pov students. No harm in asking, but if the landlord says no I agree with others - invest in a portable one, then you can take it when you go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks everyone for your advice and input.

I bit the bullet this morning and sent an email requesting the real estate ask the owner about the possibility of installing air con.

We offered to sign a longer lease or negotiate a rent increase to compensate the owner. I also said if the owner doesn’t want to install air con then we would like to buy and install a window/box style air conditioner, with their permission.

So now we wait and see what happens