+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Agree with the new houses comment. Used to live in this 50 year old Queenslander surrounded by trees and amazing cross breeze. Turn on a few portable fans and you were good to go.

Now living in a 2 year old off the plan ex-display home where a) they didn't even put ceiling fans in (WTF - it's FNQ) but have aircon in all the rooms and b) is ridiculously stuffy and hot.

I'd much rather open all the windows and turn the fans on (and so would my bank balance after the electricity bill) then put air con on but looks like I'm going to have no choice. Stupid new houses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    It seems to be a debate about the necessity of air con now... and I can tell you, if you expect me to do anything other than lay on the couch sweating and calling for death, then I need air-con. Houses these days are not build to provide natural insulation or cooling as they once were... so it's silly to suggest that 50 years ago nobody had air con and people did just fine. They also had houses that accommodated the weather a lot better.

Anyway, while it's an absolute necessity for me personally, I understand a landlord doesn't really care about that and is free to simply not provide it to me.

OP - my mother didn't have air-con in her house to begin with. She spoke the REA and was given permission to remove a window and place the air-con in there (it's one of those box ones). She paid for this. When she moves, she will be paying for the window glass to be replaced, and taking the air con unit with her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Installing air conditioner in a rental property

Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Yes, I meant (and wrote) air conditioning, not evaporative cooling
    Evaporative cooling is air conditioning air conditioning can be either evaporative or reverse cycle, I'm guessing you mean reverse cycle.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    It seems to be a debate about the necessity of air con now... and I can tell you, if you expect me to do anything other than lay on the couch sweating and calling for death, then I need air-con. Houses these days are not build to provide natural insulation or cooling as they once were... so it's silly to suggest that 50 years ago nobody had air con and people did just fine. They also had houses that accommodated the weather a lot better.

Anyway, while it's an absolute necessity for me personally, I understand a landlord doesn't really care about that and is free to simply not provide it to me.

OP - my mother didn't have air-con in her house to begin with. She spoke the REA and was given permission to remove a window and place the air-con in there (it's one of those box ones). She paid for this. When she moves, she will be paying for the window glass to be replaced, and taking the air con unit with her.
    Maybe people need to start building efficient houses then.....?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    In an ideal world we'd all own our own houses which would be efficient in every way.

In the REAL world though, many people just take what they can get.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Installing air conditioner in a rental property

Quote Originally Posted by Disbride View Post
    Evaporative cooling is air conditioning air conditioning can be either evaporative or reverse cycle, I'm guessing you mean reverse cycle.
    We disagree

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

LifeInShadesOfGrey  (27-11-2012)

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    We disagree
    I agree with you.

We have an evaporative cooler and it's nothing compared to portable air conditioners.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biscotti View Post
    Not all landlords are wealthy. There are lots and lots of landlords out there who have bought an investment property because they thought it sounded like a good idea, or because their tax agent/accountant/best friend/next door neighbour told them it would be a good idea and so they do and then find that the bottom has dropped out of the market, or their own circumstances have changed, interest rates have changed and now they can't keep up with running repairs, or even repayments, and definitely the little extras like air conditioning that tenants might request.
    I think assuming that a landlord might be luxuring in air con and refusing same to tenants just because they can is quite possibly assuming too much in these very uncertain times.
    In my experience most landlords are far from wealthy because they have taken too much on.

I would hazard a guess that most do in fact have air conditioning in their own home. We were without a shower for 3 weeks and I guarantee you they would have moved quicker if it was their house without a shower. Some are just pooheads.

OP if you are a good tenant the landlords would be silly to deny air co. If landlords say no to good tenants, good tenants move, then there's the possibility of ending up with bad ones who won't be so bothered by the lack of air co.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (27-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Actually, air conditioning is refrigerated or evaporative. Evaporative is useless in humid climates because of the way it works.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

kezanazz  (27-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    Pfft. Necessities are things like food, water, shelter. Air con is a MOD con... It's a western world luxury. Hardly necessary for survival.
    To survive happily though! Not getting heatstroke or dehydration from sweating.

An oven isn't necessary for survival either but it would be pretty ****poor of a landlord to not have one!

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PuppyGuts For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (30-11-2012),SassyMummy  (27-11-2012),SoThisIsLove  (27-11-2012)