+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm not offended, nor slamming you.

Like you said, different perspectives. I've lived in many different areas in QLD, and I think in some areas air conditioning is probably pretty essential, but in others it is definitely a luxury, and in some pretty unnecessary.
    Last edited by Pina Colada; 26-11-2012 at 22:02.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pina Colada For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (27-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biscotti View Post
    Not all landlords are wealthy. There are lots and lots of landlords out there who have bought an investment property because they thought it sounded like a good idea, or because their tax agent/accountant/best friend/next door neighbour told them it would be a good idea and so they do and then find that the bottom has dropped out of the market, or their own circumstances have changed, interest rates have changed and now they can't keep up with running repairs, or even repayments, and definitely the little extras like air conditioning that tenants might request.
    I think assuming that a landlord might be luxuring in air con and refusing same to tenants just because they can is quite possibly assuming too much in these very uncertain times.
    This is very true. I've worked in real estate for 10 years and have seen all types of landlords. Based on the rent roll where I worked, I'd say more than half the landlords were definitely NOT very wealthy. Obviously if there was an urgent repair they had to get the problem fixed, but a lot of them honestly would have struggled to afford a $1-2k airconditioner in their rented property.

The 'wealthy' landlord is a bit of a stereotype really!

Quote Originally Posted by Littlemissellie View Post
    True but i think heating and cooling should be standard in every home and i doubt very much that if someone can afford investments properties they wouldnt have at least a cheap split in their own home before they purchased an investment

Just my opinion of course and a huge sweeping generalization

That being said they can always increase the rent if need be
    Whilst I do think heating is essential (can't imagine how miserable it would be to sit in a home on a winter's day without heating, it would be like a fridge), I consider cooling/aircon to be a luxury. It certainly makes it more bearable to have it, but being a bit hot and uncomfortable is surely more bearable that being freezing cold.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Installing air conditioner in a rental property

You can always ask, but expect to pay a rent increase - some times this will be worked out by comparing your home to similar homes in the area with air con, some times this will be worked out by dividing the price of the air con over the length of lease you have ($2000 ÷ 52 weeks = $38.42) this is an extreme, but still a possibility.

Alternatively you still need approval for a window unit, as these usually need to be bolted to an outside wall, however you're more likely to get an approval, and faster. :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-I9305 using BubHub

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Installing air conditioner in a rental property

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Whilst I do think heating is essential (can't imagine how miserable it would be to sit in a home on a winter's day without heating, it would be like a fridge), I consider cooling/aircon to be a luxury.
    I completely agree. We just built our own home, our dream home, and decided to forego aircon for double glazing and ceiling fans. Aircon is an environmental disaster.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pina Colada View Post
    I'm not offended, nor slamming you.

Like you said, different perspectives. I've lived in many different areas in QLD, and I think in some areas air conditioning is probably pretty essential, but in others it is definitely a luxury, and in some pretty unnecessary.
    I said 'gonna be' slammed. Others may be offended tho

But yeh so true in regards to where you live. Im in Adelaide and i dont think id survive our hot dry summers without an air con, i guess you would get used to it tho

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Installing air conditioner in a rental property

Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    I completely agree. We just built our own home, our dream home, and decided to forego aircon for double glazing and ceiling fans. Aircon is an environmental disaster.
    I'm curious, how so? Do you just mean refridgerated air con? We have evaporative air con which costs less than a dollar an hour to run, but with the sun shining on the solar panels, its free. Therefore we make enough energy to run the air con so the environmental impact is very minimal.

Thanks
    Reviews

I said 'gonna be' slammed. Others may be offended tho

But yeh so true in regards to where you live. Im in Adelaide and i dont think id survive our hot dry summers without an air con, i guess you would get used to it tho
    You're not alone love - I would have assumed most home owners (incl landlords) would have air con, and I've worked in a real estate office for the last 8.5 years! Our property managers pretty much tell their new owners that most tenants expect it nowadays (not ALL though).

I can, however, appreciate that not everyone can afford it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MoonMoon For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (27-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    True but i think heating and cooling should be standard in every home and i doubt very much that if someone can afford investments properties they wouldnt have at least a cheap split in their own home before they purchased an investment

I'm a landlord. I'm poor as.
    How can I afford an investment property? I didn't. It's the house that my ex husband and I were living in when he left me. The house has been on the market for a long time (slow area for real estate) and I had to put a tenant in it to help cover the mortgage repayments before I went bankrupt.
    I am far from living it up in my air conned mansion.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by cookiedough View Post
    I'm curious, how so? Do you just mean refridgerated air con? We have evaporative air con which costs less than a dollar an hour to run, but with the sun shining on the solar panels, its free. Therefore we make enough energy to run the air con so the environmental impact is very minimal.
    Yes, I meant (and wrote) air conditioning, not evaporative cooling

Thanks
    Reviews

Not so for me, I became a landlord by default after my marriage ended, couldnt afford mortgage on my own so decided to rent out for a couple of years and lived with friends (with no aircon) in pretty cramped conditions.

Anyway I'm all for asking as you never know the owner might agree, but you DID sign on knowing there was no aircon in the first place!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast