+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 75
  1. #21
    Mod-biscotti's Avatar
    Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    16,305
    Thanks
    1,712
    Thanked
    3,743
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlemissellie View Post
    Bet you the landlords werent living in a non airconditioned place
    Not all landlords are wealthy. There are lots and lots of landlords out there who have bought an investment property because they thought it sounded like a good idea, or because their tax agent/accountant/best friend/next door neighbour told them it would be a good idea and so they do and then find that the bottom has dropped out of the market, or their own circumstances have changed, interest rates have changed and now they can't keep up with running repairs, or even repayments, and definitely the little extras like air conditioning that tenants might request.
    I think assuming that a landlord might be luxuring in air con and refusing same to tenants just because they can is quite possibly assuming too much in these very uncertain times.

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

    *Need~More~Coffee~Please*  (27-11-2012),BornToBe  (27-11-2012),CMF  (26-11-2012)

  3. #22
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    281
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked
    61
    Reviews
    0

    Default Installing air conditioner in a rental property

    I was heavily pregnant last summer and had been renting the house for 6 years. We asked for air con for me, but mainly for once bub was born... They said, 'No. But if you want to install it yourself that's fine, but you need to pay for it and leave it when you go, or take it with you' I mean WTF?! Give you air con in your place for free, or put a massive hole in the wall, and then patch it when we take it with us?! Crazy talk!
    We got a portable one and it works great. Mines a little noisy though but cools our lounge dining n kitchen well like pp said, just needs to be near a window.

  4. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4,953
    Thanks
    3,680
    Thanked
    1,949
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biscotti View Post
    Not all landlords are wealthy. There are lots and lots of landlords out there who have bought an investment property because they thought it sounded like a good idea, or because their tax agent/accountant/best friend/next door neighbour told them it would be a good idea and so they do and then find that the bottom has dropped out of the market, or their own circumstances have changed, interest rates have changed and now they can't keep up with running repairs, or even repayments, and definitely the little extras like air conditioning that tenants might request.
    I think assuming that a landlord might be luxuring in air con and refusing same to tenants just because they can is quite possibly assuming too much in these very uncertain times.
    True but i think heating and cooling should be standard in every home and i doubt very much that if someone can afford investments properties they wouldnt have at least a cheap split in their own home before they purchased an investment

    Just my opinion of course and a huge sweeping generalization

    That being said they can always increase the rent if need be

  5. #24
    αληθη's Avatar
    αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,961
    Thanks
    3,031
    Thanked
    805
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default Installing air conditioner in a rental property

    Quote Originally Posted by Littlemissellie View Post
    True but i think heating and cooling should be standard in every home and i doubt very much that if someone can afford investments properties they wouldnt have at least a cheap split in their own home before they purchased an investment

    Just my opinion of course and a huge sweeping generalization

    That being said they can always increase the rent if need be
    My landlord doesn't have air con in her place.

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4,953
    Thanks
    3,680
    Thanked
    1,949
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by αληθη View Post
    My landlord doesn't have air con in her place.
    .... doh!

  7. #26
    Mod-biscotti's Avatar
    Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    16,305
    Thanks
    1,712
    Thanked
    3,743
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlemissellie View Post
    I doubt very much that if someone can afford investments properties they wouldnt have at least a cheap split in their own home before they purchased an investment

    Just my opinion of course and a huge sweeping generalization

    That being said they can always increase the rent if need be
    I see you just edited your post but really there are landlords out there, just trying to get ahead in life by buying a property to rent out and who don't have even a cheap split air on in their own home. Really there are. I have been to many a seminar/conference and met them, mum and dad investors having a crack for their kids/retirement and far from wealthy. And as far as increasing rent, well rent is determined by the market, not by the landlord simply increasing rent, it doesn't work like that.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

    *Need~More~Coffee~Please*  (27-11-2012),SoThisIsLove  (26-11-2012)

  9. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4,953
    Thanks
    3,680
    Thanked
    1,949
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biscotti View Post
    I see you just edited your post but really there are landlords out there, just trying to get ahead in life by buying a property to rent out and who don't have even a cheap split air on in their own home. Really there are. I have been to many a seminar/conference and met them, mum and dad investors having a crack for their kids/retirement and far from wealthy. And as far as increasing rent, well rent is determined by the market, not by the landlord simply increasing rent, it doesn't work like that.
    Ok thanks for sharing another perspective. I have no issue admitting i could be wrong, was just what i thought was most likely to be the case

  10. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,816
    Thanks
    379
    Thanked
    389
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't think air conditioning is a necessarily a necessity (just going back to the I bet the landlord has air conditioning comment). I'm sure there are plenty of areas in Australia where I don't think heating and airconditioning are essential.

    In response to the OP....we installed 4 airconditioners in a property at the request of a tenant (the property had been tenanted by others for 10 years prior without the issue being raised). In short, I regret it. The area the property is in is quite temperate without humidity and the tenants left 6 months later.

  11. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4,953
    Thanks
    3,680
    Thanked
    1,949
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ok i see im gonna get slammed for my comment.

    Sorry if ive offended

  12. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,395
    Thanks
    160
    Thanked
    704
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default Re: Installing air conditioner in a rental property

    I'd love to ask for air con but I've already been waiting 6 months to get a broken dishwasher either fixed or removed!!

    Sent from my HTC One X using BubHub


 

Similar Threads

  1. when finding a rental property...
    By rainbow road in forum General Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 23-05-2012, 13:21
  2. Rental property curtains
    By Mod-Degrassi in forum General Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 26-04-2012, 21:00
  3. Rental Property Question
    By Caviar in forum General Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-02-2012, 10:34

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
BAE The Label
Versatile, premium maternity wear that you will love throughout pregnancy and long after. Cleverly designed for for all stages of motherhood so that you can 'Just be you (+1)'.
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
Tribalance
TriBalance is a physio, yoga & pilates studio in Brisbane's inner north, offering specialised women's health physiotherapy services. Weekly pregnancy yoga classes are scheduled at the studio on Thursdays 1- 2pm and Saturdays 1-2:15pm.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!