+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    We had tenants ask for air con last Summer, she had just had a bub and we were having a really humid Qld Summer. We asked them to sign a longer lease (but no rent increase) as they were only on a 6 mth lease. They signed for 12 months and we put aircon in the living and the master bedroom. Everyone happy

Eta - degrassi, I think it's worth asking and I'd add that you would be willing to sign on a longer lease.
    Last edited by Mod-biscotti; 26-11-2012 at 18:54.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (30-11-2012)

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Installing air conditioner in a rental property

My landlord won't let us
    But that's because atm I'm sharing a house with four friends and she (landlord) won't even let us have a drier.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

They can't stop you having a dryer can they??

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LifeInShadesOfGrey For This Useful Post:

intruderalert1234  (26-11-2012)

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

In terms of aircon, we have a hardly working 20+ air con. It's starting to go so I've asked them for a new one. So far no luck, but they have a few things to do here and have been great. Hopefully soon.

But I would so go with a portable. I found one at seconds world I am in love with.

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews

Oh I suppose I should've said my landlord is one of my mates mum (mate lives in the place too) and she just has something against driers and air cons. Even when we move out I doubt she'll let the next tenants have them either.
    Some landlords are just funny that way and won't let certain things in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not quite air-conditioning but it was something that we as tenants asked the landlords to help out with expense wise.

We wanted a new rear fence (the existing one was only 3 foot high and very much in need of repair. They had approved us to get a new puppy who we weren't sure if we'd be able to trust with the existing fence). We first approached the owners about us going halves with them - they said no, they couldn't afford. We then approached the rear neighbour to see if she'd go halves - she said no, she couldn't afford it. We then asked for a 2 year fixed lease (to make it a stable home) - they gave us verbal approval of this. So we went ahead at our complete expense and installed a fence for them ($1400 total). We saw this as an investment in our puppy's safety.

We then received only a 1 year lease and six months later got asked by the owners if we wanted to buy the house (at a price much more than market value). We actually went through the process of getting finance and tried negotiating with them but got no where.

We now live elsewhere (we bought) and in the process of moving out we asked the owners if they wished to purchase the fence for the break lease fee ($300). They said no. They were happy for us to remove the fence and replace the original dilapidated one (which we had kept). This property was through a real estate and the property manager couldn't believe the owners were willing to remove an asset to their property. The property manager ended us paying us $300 for the fence (we got told a story that her friends were going to remove the fence but we know the fence is still on the property).

I guess what I'm trying to say is take care if you go to the expense of installing an improvement to a rental property. I agree that a portable air-conditioner would be a great way to go (then it's yours) or installing a temporary box-type into a window if they are suitable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

We asked our RE to ask the owners to put one in our main bedroom which is at the front of the house and way hotter than the rest of the house a while back. There was already one in the kitchen/living room. And they agreed and paid for it.

Increased the value of their home and many of the homes in our area were being rented with a split system in the living area and main bedroom.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    I asked once and they said no...I was spewing.
    Bet you the landlords werent living in a non airconditioned place

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are lucky we have three splits here - one in living rm, one in master bdrm and one in DDs room - prob why i fell in love with the place lol, but i wouldnt hesitate to ask if we didnt have one, i think id die without an air con...well maybe not but The worst they can do is say no

If not def second a portable one!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

We have a portable air con it's legendary the only thing is it needs to be near a window and you need to be able to contain the area as an area that's too big doesn't really work