+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default anti depressants during pregnancy

hi i am 25 weeks pregnant and need to go on antidepressants is there anyone out there that has had to do this?
    if so was there any affects on your baby?
    did you feel better during the prenancy whilst on them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there,
    I haven't had to take antidepressants but have you spoken with your GP and obstetrician about it? I think that you should weigh up the risk of taking the medication against the risk of being unmedicated.
    If it would be possible to manage your depression non-medically (e.g. with counselling, meditation, exercise), then you could try that until after the baby is born. Have you discussed that with your GP?
    I would do all your research first about the risks and side-effects of medication to help you make your decision. Good luck and hope you are feeling better soon

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi
    I know this is a late reply but I wanted to reply
    I got off zoloft before falling pregnant coz I was worried to be on it while pregnant. I got really really bad anxiety and needed to go back on. All my docs and Ob/gyn said it was fine and I'm better on it for my stress levels for baby. I even spoke with mums who had done it before. I'm on it now and 13 weeks pregnant. Do what u need to do for yourself coz the more stress and anxiety your under the more bub feels it. Hope this helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I was on ADs and advised I need only go off them for the birth so we worked out a schedule of reduction 2-3 weeks before birth so I had been off them for about 10 days before delivery then I went back on them the day after DS was born. This was because of the small risk of dependence the baby may have if I didn't come off them. I was advised by my psychiatrist that by doing it this way there was no risk to my baby. He was born a very healthy baby and 4.5kgs! Zoloft had been extensively tested on pregnant women and been found to be very safe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Naomiriz. Some medications can really be harmful during pregnancy, but if your Obstetrician is ok with it, then I think you can continue taking the antidepressants. However, if you could still go without any medications and try different alternatives like group therapy, or engaging in healthy activities, I guess you should give it a try. It is better to keep medications off the bub as long as you can. Have a healthy pregnancy ahead!