Thanks
    Reviews

Default Using a slow cooker in summer

I make a massaman curry... Delicious!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by captainscaptain View Post
    I think because the slow cooker cooks so slowly, it draws out more moisture than stove top cooking does...therefore it dilutes the "usual" flavour. I think this is why slow cookers have specific recipes and you can't just do it the same way as you would on the stove. Well, that's my guess anyway haha.
    Yeh makes sense but ive found the same with specific slow cooker recipes - very bland

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

Default Re: Using a slow cooker in summer

I've always found that dinner tastes heaps better from the slowcooker.. I make bbq ribs, sausage casserole, chicken casserole etc in there. I love it!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm what am i doing wrong then, i love using it its soo handy but havent been impressed with the lack of taste

Any tips?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I love making chicken for tacos in the slow cooker. Just chuck chicken (thighs or breasts) in, and some salsa and cook for about 4hrs on high. It shreds so easily and is just awesome. Even better, Old El Paso has a new 'family' pack with a milder sauce instead of a seasoning packet. I've just put that sauce and my chicken into the slow cooker and it's so yummy!

When doing a stew, it really does make a world of difference browning/sealing the meat first. The only annoying this is it takes longer and makes more washing, but it makes such a difference to the taste.

Lots of herbs and spices is all you need if its bland. I like to toss my beef in a flour/onion powder/garlic powder/paprika/pepper mixture for my casseroles. I then brown it, usually, but I have often just dumped it all in, and its still pretty good.

I also came across a cheesy Mac recipe the other day which was just 1 cup macaroni, a tin of creamed corn, a tin of corn kernels (don't drain it), and 1 cup grated cheese (it was American, and I think it used processed cheese, but I used half Colby, half tasty. Gruyere would also be good if it weren't so expensive).
    It was really yum, and as a side dish was a good caloric option, as long as you get the no added salt corn, and even better if you use light cheese.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

..... Awesome thread thank you! Been a bit off my poor little slow cooker lately!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Gosh I dunno then...I don't think I've ever had a bland meal from a slow cooker!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I actually retired my slow cooker and brought a pressure cooker. I can cook a casserole or curry in 15mins. Flavours are delicious! Love it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Corned beef in the slow cooker for summer is always a hit here. Can be served hot or cold with salad

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AreWeThereYet View Post
    Sounds good captainscaptain!

LifeInShadesOfGrey, I scrunch foil balls under the chicken so it doesn't sit in the fat or juice, stick some garlic cloves, lemon quarters and rosemary sprigs around it and leave it on low for 8 hours. Sometimes I even stick the chicken in frozen. It doesn't have the same crispy skin as an oven baked chicken but the meat is beautiful and tender, it requires nothing more than 5 mins of work on my part and if I leave the slow cooker in the laundry it doesn't heat up the house on hot days!
    I'm definitely going to try the roast chook, great idea!