+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What do you class as....

Additional needs children, special needs and high needs? I personally think these words are used too lightly. A lot of people IRL and on forums say their child is 'high needs' if they are slightly hyper whereas I class it as serious medical conditions. I would class GDD (global development delay) as additional needs as its not a life long thing with additional help. Special needs, I would class as children on the spectrum etc. (my own child has autistic disorder and I hate people saying he has a disability). So what would you class as each?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a DD with cystic fibrosis her needs right now are additional but that will change to high needs as she gets older and whenever she gets sick

Thanks
    Reviews

From Wikipedia- People with autism, Down syndrome, dyslexia, blindness, or cystic fibrosis, for example, may be considered to have special needs.

I would class 'high needs' to be children who couldn't attend a main****** school or child care due to medical issues. Seems like the word is thrown around a lot to describe 'spirited children'. My child would also be classed as spirited. He literally goes and goes until he drops. I have to give him melatonin otherwise he will not sleep at all. It's like the energiser bunny on speed. But because of the autistic diagnosis, he is classed as special needs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: What do you class as....

I think of "high needs" as serious medical condition. Like high needs to stay alive.

I'd be surprised if "high needs" described spirited children. I quite like the term "spirited" though. But I suppose everyone might have different interpretations.

Though I joke my kids are "high wants" - my non sleeping koala bear babies. I hope that's not inappropriate...?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Nowhere  (26-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Additional needs - those who needs that extra bit of help in day to day life. Usually can be handled by parents.

Special needs - Plans set in place, working with teachers, aides, etc

High needs - unable to perform basic day to day functions, needing almost constant supervision by a carer.

This is just my interpretation of the terms, I sincerely hope I haven't offended anyone.
    Last edited by ChickyBee; 26-11-2012 at 08:31.

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    High needs to me is children that are needing support to stay alive, Children assisted by technology being cared for at home, round the clock monitoring, suction, vents, oxygen, continuous feeds, blood monitoring, medications, IV feeds, IV med etc and generally high needs kids need more than one of these things.

Special needs or additional needs, to me are kids with a SN diagnosis.

Then you have the ones that cop the lot SN and high medical needs.

It bugs me when people say high needs for a kid that is just a but hyper when the high needs kids i know my DD included there parents have to fight to keep them alive, if we drop the ball our kids can die if they drop the ball there kids might break a vase or something SO not the same thing

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nowhere For This Useful Post:

ItWasntMe  (26-11-2012)

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickyBee View Post
    Additional needs - those who needs that extra bit of help in day to day life. Usually can be handled by parents.

Special needs - Plans set in place, working with teachers, aides, etc

High needs - unable to perform basic day to day functions, needing almost constant supervision by a carer.

This is just my interpretation of the terms, I sincerely hope I haven't offended anyone.
    By a career no not always many of the most high needs kids i know are cared for by there mums, they work very hard on very little sleep and may get some extra help but the major care is on the parents< many of us wouldnt trust careers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    High needs sounds like you've got to do sweet fricking everything to keep them living and safe. I would imagine that most high needs children have multiple conditions that need treating, not just one (though they could still have just one, but I believe it would be quite a major one).

Special needs, to me, would be classed as someone who has a diagnosis that makes their life a little different from standard. Perhaps on the spectrum, perhaps physically disabled, perhaps cerebral palsy, perhaps developmental delays... things that mean the require additional and specific assistance, but not to the point where if they don't get that assistance, their life is almost immediately at risk.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere View Post
    By a career no not always many of the most high needs kids i know are cared for by there mums, they work very hard on very little sleep and may get some extra help but the major care is on the parents< many of us wouldnt trust careers
    My mistake, I meant carer to mean whoever takes care of the child including parents. Just out of curiosity why wouldn't you trust a carer?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think this is very dependant on the context in which you are speaking about it. My son has a diagnosis of ASD. To me I don't classify him as anything different to normal, but at school he is qualified as high needs (limited verbal skills, just TT now at 6). Ten we go to the paed and he is talked about as a small impairment.
    I know that in terms of funding etc the worse you make it sound, the better.