+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default I would like to become a Lactation Consultant, Any ideas?

Has anybody who isnt a nurse/dr become an IBCLC?

It says i need 5yrs work as a volunteer prior to sitting the exam. Also have to pass a few exams in ethics, medical terminology, anatomy ect AND have 1000hrs clinical experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Could you start as an ABA counsellor and work from there?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquillah View Post
    Could you start as an ABA counsellor and work from there?
    I have emailed the ABA and im still waiting on a response I have even thought about becoming a midwife so i can go from there (midwifery isnt what id want to do though).

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default I would like to become a Lactation Consultant, Any ideas?

There are a few non healthcare trained LCs in Melbourne. I am a NICU LC and not a midwife and that's trouble enough! The hospitals won't employ me as a general LC. I know dietician LCs who have had similar issues.

There are online courses you can do, but in order to become an LC you do need the 1000 hours practice. The ABA training is fantastic and free and would get you a long way to your goal. Two of our local group are doing their LC exam this year. Practice hours can be hard to find. I was lucky my local clinic let me do mine there. Six months of working for free was great experience but very expensive.

I would talk frankly to LCs in your area about job prospects. You'd be surprised how few LCs actually make a living from it. Most supplement private work with something else. Just look at Pinky, the poor woman had to sell biscuits.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Would the practical experience as a midwife be counted?