+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Telling Friends and Family

Only newly pregnant (first time) and we're already struggling to keep the pregnancy hidden!

Because I stopped drinking coffee (I used to be a coffee addict) and alcohol just before we started trying to conceive (a month and a half ago) I can tell my friends are already on to me.

The problem is that none of my friends have had babies, so they are all very social and like to go out for dinners and afternoon drinks. I have been avoiding every event that has been organised, because I know they will realise. I can tell they are testing me too... Inviting me around for afternoon cheese, crackers and wine. I don't know how much longer I can keep it a secret. They will either think I don't want to spend time with them or will be speculating about my pregnancy.

I don't usually drink with family, so this isn't too tricky to hide. The only issue is Mum noticing I'm not drinking coffee.

Has anyone else had similar problems early in their pregnancy?
    What did you do? How did you deal with it?

I'm thinking I'll have to tell a friend or two, well before the 12 month 'safe date', so I have some allies to help me keep the news concealed? Thoughts?

I'd love to hear stories and advice from others...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I had similar issues and just ended up telling my closest friends and family as it was easier for me. These are people I would tell if something had gone wrong though.

Even my boss had clocked me as I didn't drink at a work event and was known to enjoy a glass of wine!

It's really hard but that worked for me. I understand why some prefer to keep it secret though.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

LeeJay  (25-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good to hear you did that! I think we will need to as well. Yep, it would only be my closest friends.

They will need to be sworn to secrecy though. As we are wanting to surprise our parents on Christmas Day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Maybe try..... I Am on a detox or I am on antibiotics?!
    Depends on if you can lie or not?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

I am the most passionate wine love you'd meet. However none of my friends found out I was UTD before I announced it at 12 wks.
    Some could not even believe it... They were like "But... I saw you drinking the other night?!!"

My secret? Never ever refuse a glass of wine or any alcohol for that matter. When you go to the bar, always order as per usual, beer wine whatever.
    Refusing alcohol or ordering something different from the ordinary will start ppl asking questions. But they won't pay any attention to whether you are drinking it or not. They will be too busy chatting away or drinking their own drinks etc

Trust me - if it worked with my friends who took me wine and cheese tasting it will work with yours
    Don't forget to tactically lose your drinks so that you can order a new one - always with friends around etc

Haha I feel like such a big tactician!

Otherwise you can just tell them

Thanks
    Reviews

Agreed! Always accept the drink!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

it works the same when on a diet. Always accept the cake A lot easier than to justify why you AF not eating this and that - then ppl always feel the need to give their opinions :-p