+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Belly button issue

My DD is 6 days old, the clamp/umbilical cord is still attached but this afternoon when changing her nappy I noticed it has started bleeding. When my DS was a newborn his got a little infected so was told to clean with salty water a few times a day. My midwife is coming tomorrow but in the meantime should i just clean it with salty water or is it worth a trip back to the hospital to get it check?

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd probably clean with salty water and see how things are tomorrow. You could call Health Direct (it's a 24 hrs 1800 number with registered nurses to speak to) and ask them for advice if it's really worrying you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    One thing it could be is an umbilical granuloma. DD had this after she was born, but we didn't discover it until the cord stump started to come off and revealed what looked like a little protrusion. It's basically a part of the umbilical cord that didn't come off properly, and it can bleed at times. At the time, I had no idea what it was, so I took her into the Children's Hospital to be checked out. The doctors were all very interested to see it and a bunch of student doctors were called over to have a look, but they reassured me that it's harmless and to just swab it daily with saline using a gauze swab.

If you're unsure, perhaps take your DD to the doctor to confirm what it is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Know this is a little old but OP did you end up getting the granuloma corterised? My little one has the same thing have to use cream three times a day then get it burnt off next week. Thx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Shell Somer View Post
    Know this is a little old but OP did you end up getting the granuloma corterised? My little one has the same thing have to use cream three times a day then get it burnt off next week. Thx
    Hi Shell Somer,

My dd didn't end up with a granuloma, what had happened was the doctor had clamped to close to her belly button and it was getting irritated by her close.

I hope you little is ok and everything heals well.