+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Backpack reigns / harnesses

Our DD is a runner - and shes fast! I dont want to always have her in the pram and she often cries to get out, i do want to and try to and teach her not to run off but at barely 2 she thinks its a game and has no fear or concept of danger and it only takes a second for something to go wrong.

She sometimes holds my hand which is great but then wants to run off other times and u cant hold their hand every second (like paying for something at the shops etc)

I know alot of people dont like them and probably judge parents that use them, but Id rather have her safe than squashed on the road or lost in a crowd or kidnapped etc so was wondering what people thought of backpack reigns, and for those that use them how you have found them?Thanks
    Last edited by SoThisIsLove; 25-11-2012 at 14:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Sorry you have a runner DS1 is a runner and it's very hard, particularly as I've also got a 3 year old with me most days. Thankfully he's almost 2 and seems to be growing out of it.

I personally don't like backpacks with reigns - probably because I have 2 dogs and it feels too much like I'm walking another pet. Before I had DS I used to have lots of opinions about how to manage kids who were runners - until I had one and knew how bl00dy hard they actually are.

I either kept him in the pram or made him hold my hand or one of his sister's hands. My CHN encouraged me to let him run away when we were somewhere completely safe and watch him and wait for him to turn around and come back when he knew I wasn't chasing him (which was part of the attraction behind the running ie he loved me chasing him). There are a few large parks near us he could run safely and once he realised I wasn't chasing he would turn back. Now I find he doesn't run away. Not sure whether he's just grown out of it or knowing I won't chase him has taken the fun away.

Anyway good luck with whatever you decide. Reigns aren't the end of the world but if you do go that way I would still look at ways of encouraging her to not run so I didn't have to rely on them all the time iykwim.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Laydeebugxxx  (25-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    They were a lifesaver for me with our twins.

They would bolt with no warning in opposite directions. I didn't like them either at first until suddenly we walked out of the bank when suddenly one ran off one way while the other ran the other way. I was EXTREMELY lucky that a kind stranger grabbed one for me before she ran on the road. As it was I only managed to grab one of them before she ran on the road in the opposite direction. I went straight home and burst into tears and my mum came shopping with me the next day to buy them.

We bought the ones that look like a little bag which were really good. I would tuck the strap in the bag and only pull it out when I had to when they got older. They liked them actually and used them as a little backpack and would carry their own snacks.

eta: I didn't hold the strap in my hands. I put it on my wrists and got them to hold my hands most of the time. But sometimes that wasn't possible when I had shopping in my hands. But I still had the straps on my wrists and encouraged them to hold my arm.
    Last edited by Dannielle; 25-11-2012 at 15:03.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dannielle For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (25-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your post Sonja

What i dont understand is when people compare it to walking a dog....why do u put your dog on a lead? To keep them safe right?

How much more important is your childs safety?

I dunno before i had DD i didnt really like the idea of them but now ive had her i realise how good they can be. I mean we strap them into cars, into their pram etc.

I read about a child recently who was kidnapped while her mother was paying for an item in a clothes shop. So with a child that runs how easy could she get lost and be a great target for a abductor?

I intend to only use it in certain situations, im just worried something bad will happen so any advice of what other options i have would be great Otherwise its the harness for us

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannielle View Post
    They were a lifesaver for me with our twins.

They would bolt with no warning in opposite directions. I didn't like them either at first until suddenly we walked out of the bank when suddenly one ran off one way while the other ran the other way. I was EXTREMELY lucky that a kind stranger grabbed one for me before she ran on the road. As it was I only managed to grab one of them before she ran on the road in the opposite direction. I went straight home and burst into tears and my mum came shopping with me the next day to buy them.

We bought the ones that look like a little bag which were really good. I would tuck the strap in the bag and only pull it out when I had to when they got older. They liked them actually and used them as a little backpack and would carry their own snacks.

eta: I didn't hold the strap in my hands. I put it on my wrists and got them to hold my hands most of the time. But sometimes that wasn't possible when I had shopping in my hands. But I still had the straps on my wrists and encouraged them to hold my arm.
    Some great tips there, esp the bolded part to still teach them to hold your hand, thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and DD doesnt care if im chasing her or not, she just runs!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Backpack reigns

I recently bought one - I personally don't give a rats about what other people think of me when I use it (haven't yet), all I care about is my 21 month old not running away from me. And as for comparing it to a dog - it's a strap attached to their backpack, not a collar around their neck. Heck, I sometimes could do with an adult version so DH doesn't wander off on me in the shops!

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MoonMoon For This Useful Post:

angelini  (26-11-2012),intruderalert1234  (25-11-2012),lambjam  (26-11-2012),SoThisIsLove  (25-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlemissellie View Post
    Oh and DD doesnt care if im chasing her or not, she just runs!
    Yep, was the same with my girls. They didn't care where I was. Oh and there was no way to keep them in the stroller as they would actually jump out no matter how tight the straps were.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlemissellie View Post
    Thanks for your post Sonja

What i dont understand is when people compare it to walking a dog....why do u put your dog on a lead? To keep them safe right?

How much more important is your childs safety?

I dunno before i had DD i didnt really like the idea of them but now ive had her i realise how good they can be. I mean we strap them into cars, into their pram etc.

I read about a child recently who was kidnapped while her mother was paying for an item in a clothes shop. So with a child that runs how easy could she get lost and be a great target for a abductor?

I intend to only use it in certain situations, im just worried something bad will happen so any advice of what other options i have would be great Otherwise its the harness for us
    You asked me what I thought and I gave you my opinion. I don't like them for me and the dog association is only part of the reason. If you have a need use them. The reason I use them for dogs is only partly safety (they are well trained) but mainly it's a requirement that we have our dogs on leash at certain times.

At the end of the day it's your child and you have to only worry about that.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Backpack reigns

I was just asking a question. I thanked u for your opinion

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub