+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Have you ever reported someone to DOCS?

Im just curious how many people have reported others to DOCS?

Also I'm wondering what the process is. Did you feel like the right action was taken?

My gut feeling is to call and report but its hard to know what the right thing to do is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Have you ever reported someone to DOCS?

I haven't, but I know the basics.

It's always ideal to report, even if it seems trivial, as they may have other reports and lots of smaller details can paint the big picture.

Don't do it anonymously; they will take it more seriously if you tell them your name.

Reporting can be so hard; too many people believe it's none of their business to get involved... But children need a voice.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews

IMO and experience its totally untrue that you will be taken more seriously if you give your name and details. Annon notifiers are taken just as seriously as those who give their details.

They will ask lots of details about your concerns, the children's names, ages and address. It's good if you know this info but you don't have to.

I would not hesitate to report. DOCS doubt just go in and remove children. They investigate and as a first Orion try to support families to keep their children with them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have called CPS which is the US equvalint on a friend once. She had just left her boy friend and was living on her own the baby was about 3 months old. He was laying on the floor and crying because he was hungry before I could get to him she yelled shut up you little sh*t and threw a bottle at him. I called his dad and told him to come get the baby and what happened she was enraged that I called him but what else could I do. I told her he would bring him back after she had a break and got some sleep. That night I called CPS and told them what happened.

I think it was the right decision. They did nothing

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Have you ever reported someone to DOCS?

I have. I rang the after hours number.
    I wasnt the only one either.
    Those poor kids.

- Their was abuse physically and verbally
    - Locked their kids outside
    -Takes drugs (not why i called but she use to go mental and start fights with neighbours call other kids in the street names)
    -Left her children outside from first light till after dark all day every day rain hail or shine :-( during storms n all
    - I had to look after them one night when she had decided to go out and not return till well after dark...then went nuts at the child for no reason.
    -Also has different men in her house for u know what.... kicks the kids and husband out while she does it !
    - I have been thanked alot of time by the husband/boyfriend for looking out for his kids when he isn't their. He is just as worried as the rest of us in the street.

And docs did....... NOTHING.
    Last edited by M.2.; 25-11-2012 at 09:46.

Oblena is offline I've done it in public and I'll do it again - I don't care who sees!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had to call a number of times as I am a teacher and have to report (mandatory reporting). DHS has acted on all my complaints - twice children have been removed from care and the family offered support to get their acts together. Children have gone back and the issues are ongoing. Other times counselling was offered to the family, But they often refuse

My colleague and I have had to tell a parent that he was to stop bashing his son up and that this was inappropriate parenting. We then offered him a bunch of services to help the family - things seem to have become better for that child.

Lastly, my collegaue and I have stayed with a child out the front of her house waiting for DHS to turn up becasue the mother was suicidal. Police were also involved at this stage, but DHS took their time becasue they knew that we had a duty of care and wouldn't leave the child there until their arrival.

Work is hard sometimes

Thanks
    Reviews
    To answer the question, yes I have called them. Not only as a concerned on-looker, but also as a concerned parent where I have had to call up against the fathers of my own children.
    I am also a mandatory reporter due to my line of work, thankfully I haven't had to report for work yet.

Some calls have had no response, some have. Thing is, that even the ones that get no response remains on file, and eventually if enough reports against that one name come up then action gets taken. Sometimes just one report isn't enough to concern them, but a repeated number can be cause for alarm. Unfortunately, it is a case by case basis, and some children get overlooked because other children need protection more than them

I'm glad that some of the reports DD's father made against me were never explored, it would have been frustrating having them come over and having to justify myself time and time again because he felt like calling them and reporting that my DD had nappy rash so clearly I was sexually abusing her or that she had a scratch on her face or a bruise on her leg

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be very surprised if the childrens teachers have not reported them to DOCS. I will be making a phone call tomorrow so hopefully something is done soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

As a teacher, I'm a mandatory reporter, so yes, I have!

I work in a really disadvantaged area, where docs are ridiculously overloaded already, and what would probably be a major concern in other areas, is hardly a flick on the radar there. It's really sad.

Thanks
    Reviews

If you are thinking that DOCS may need to be involved then I would suggest making the call and letting DOCS decide the appropriate action.

They work on a tier system. In tier 1 the child/ren is in immediate danger and needs to be removed straight away. In tier 2 the child/ren is safe at the moment but removal needs to be considered and in tier 3 the child/ren are not in danger however they will work with the family to provide support, counselling, parenting classes etc.

It is possible to remain anonymous DOCS may deem that no action should be taken however you can request that your call be recorded as a notifier concern, sometimes if there are numerous reports recorded in this manner action will be reassessed.

Good luck, it's never an easy decision however I know of more experiences of people regretting not making the call than people regretting the call.