+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I always feed just before sleep. My experience has been if my bubs were stimulated before sleep with 'play time', then they would not settle.

So, my 'routine' for my 4mth old DD is- baby wakes up, bottle feed, awake time (not more than 2 hrs), bottle feed, burp, put in bed awake, I walk out, baby goes to sleep.

(Note: I don't recall having any probs with my DS1 and DS2 who always had a bottle after their solids dinner and before bed. This continued until we got rid of the before bed bottle at about 18 months of age. That was the last bottle feed to go.)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Feeding to sleep

Oh forgot to mention that although I feed to sleep, bub will happily settle to sleep on DH chest or in other people's arms too. She won't for me though as she can smell my milk lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies! Good to see some positive stories here. I'm with you, littleriv, if we play before bed she'll be stimulated.

We wake up, change her nappy, play till she starts displaying her tired signs, bottle, bed. Sometimes she'll fall asleep on the bottle, other time i put her down when she's just about asleep but not quite there and she usually settles herself or goes down with a bit of a pat on the thigh.

I think i might just stick with it and if we have problem later then we'll figure it out then. Or maybe slowly introduce self-settling during the day and see how we go.

Thank you!

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have 5 kids. I've fed all of them too sleep.... and you know what, none of them fall asleep during their dinner now, or need a litre bottle of milk to go to bed with. lol. It's such a short period of time in their life... by the time they are 2 or so their bedtime routines are completely different and don't even involve feeding to sleep. So I'd just roll with it, if it works for you, let it! They don't nap during the day forever, they don't sleep so often forever, eventually and it happens really really quickly, 'going to sleep' will involve dinner, bath, teeth, books and cuddles... and the feeding to sleep issue will be a memory.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OJandMe For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (26-11-2012),Chewie Cakes  (26-11-2012),FluffyDucks  (26-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Feeding to sleep

I feed to sleep until about 1 - it takes a bit of crying to break the habit but far less in total than if had tried to force baby to sleep from very young

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Feeding to sleep

I breastfeed DS to sleep till about 2 years. Only took a few weeks to break the habit (could have been quicker but didn't want to make it too traumatic). 8 months later he is now fully weaned and goes to bed with just books and cuddles.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Feeding to sleep

i have a 2 yo who still feeds to sleep. wakes twice a night. How do u stop the habit? he doesn't feed during the day any more.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Feeding to sleep

Quote Originally Posted by OJandMe View Post
    I have 5 kids. I've fed all of them too sleep.... and you know what, none of them fall asleep during their dinner now, or need a litre bottle of milk to go to bed with. lol.
    Lmao. You totally made my night, ironically as I sit her feeding my baby to sleep

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Feeding to sleep

Quote Originally Posted by pianolady View Post
    i have a 2 yo who still feeds to sleep. wakes twice a night. How do u stop the habit? he doesn't feed during the day any more.
    Dr jay gordons nightweaning plan worked brilliantly here when dd1 was 14mths old.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Feeding to sleep

Quote Originally Posted by Taiyed View Post
    Hi PB I have been reading a very good book on this exact topic. It's called 'the sensible sleep solution'. It has some great tips on how to avoid sleep associations, including making sure they are still a little awake before putting in the cot. DS has always liked being fed to sleep but he has recently stopped doing it by himself. I have been using some of the books methods and they work well. Cuddling, patting and sh sh sh work pretty well for me. They don't work for me during the day though.
    YES! A brilliant book and all the theories are based on solid research. So happy to see someone recommending this book =)