+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Feeding to sleep

Despite the child health nurses advice, we feed DD (4mths) to sleep. It works for us. If we do feed play sleep then she spews up all her feed and quite frankly shes too alert and distracted that she will only eat around 69mls if we do it that way.

Anyway what im worried about is the sleep association - will she be able to self settle without a bottle once shes on solids? Has anyone been through this and have some insight/advice? Or does anyone have any tips on how to break this association? We have a fantastic night time routine and shes such a good sleeper with this routine but obviously cant feed to sleep forever

Sent from my GT-I9210T using BubHub

GrabbyCrabby is offline She is everything I need, that I never knew I wanted... She is everything I want, that I never knew I needed...
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Feeding to sleep

I still feed my 8mo to sleep, but he's starting to not fall asleep sp easily, so I'll pop him in bed after, and run my hand over his hair and face, cuddle him in bed, or put him in his bouncer for a few minutes until he falls asleep. He is eating solids now, but still has a bottle before his big sleeps.
    You've got to do whatever works for you!!! If you're all happy & getting sleep, I would be reluctant to change the goal posts, she'll do that for you soon enough .

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Feeding to sleep

I feed my bubs to sleep despite my childhood nurses advice lol. It works for us! My DD is only 9 weeks old but if it makes her happy and gets us all some sleep then I'm all for it! I'm interested in responses for your bub though as he/she is older.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i still feed to sleep at 1 year old. my advice is try to avoid it if you can. if i'm not home, it's a nightmare for whoever has to settle my son, he doesn't know how to go to sleep without boobs and keeps screaming for me.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Feeding to sleep

I would also say the earlier you can break the habit the better. My 19 month old ds was fed to sleep until about 16 months and even now its still hard to get him to sleep without it. I wish I persisted when he was younger as its created all sorts of sleeping issues. Sorry for the negative reply!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Feeding to sleep

Hi PB I have been reading a very good book on this exact topic. It's called 'the sensible sleep solution'. It has some great tips on how to avoid sleep associations, including making sure they are still a little awake before putting in the cot. DS has always liked being fed to sleep but he has recently stopped doing it by himself. I have been using some of the books methods and they work well. Cuddling, patting and sh sh sh work pretty well for me. They don't work for me during the day though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just popped in to say i miss feeding my Lil man to sleep

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Feeding to sleep

I fed dd1 to sleep till she was 19 mths old. If away DH or my mum cuddled her to sleep no probs.

Now at 2yo we read books to her. Feeding to sleep is biologically normal.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Feeding to sleep

Feed play sleep also didn't work for us as DD has silent reflux and never drank much at any one time ad by the time we had to put her down she was too hungry to sleep any longer than her first sleep cycle in the day.

It wasn't until we realised this that DD actually started self settling for day naps. I would change her nappy, put her in her sleeping bag give her a bottle then put her down in her cot and sit with her shushing her to sleep. I only had to do this for a few weeks and she got the idea and not only did he learn to self settle she would sleep longer than 40 minutes at a time.

So keep doing it the way you are but try and keep bub awake while feeding and put him down awake and settle him in a way you feel comfortable. You could put him down and rock his body back and forth shushing until he falls asleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am still breastfeed DD (8.5mths) to sleep. I love it, but as with any "habit" it's got consequences.

What I have been doing for the last few weeks is feeding her until she is sleepy but not asleep. Then trying to pat or cuddle her to sleep. She also has a small blanket that she likes, so I always let her hold it when I put her to sleep. This way she fell asleep a lot of times on her own without even crying. But I was always next to her. Don't know how I will ever leave that bedroom, haha..