+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default First Antenatal Appointment

Three days ago... Positive test! Although, I was pretty sure I knew before I even took one. My body is making it pretty obvious. Took a second test yesterday... another reassuring positive. We're pregnant!

This is my first pregnancy and I'm very new to all of this.

When should I schedule my first appointment with a doctor?
    What should I expect to happen at the first appointment?
    I don't have a regular doctor (I always avoid the doctor like the plague), so what should I look for when choosing a doctor?
    Give me all the details! Hehe. I would love to hear what others went through in their first antenatal appointment.

Thanks for the help! I need it

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I've just had my first appointment!
    Make the appointment now, there's no point holding it off.
    At my appointment:
    He weighed me for a starting point
    Made a referral for me to get the usual pregnancy blood screening
    Helped me chose an Obstetrician and wrote a referral for me
    Helped me work out my edd (which I already knew)
    Took my blood pressure
    Answered any questions I had

Ask for a referral for an ultrasound though, mine didnt as he thought I'd get into the ob before my 12 weeks but because of Christmas and new year I will be 15 weeks and need to go back to get a referral for the 12 week scan.

Congrats on your positive!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to αληθη For This Useful Post:

LeeJay  (24-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats on your positive and first appointment!!!
    Thanks for this information! Very helpful!

Did you just go to a local GP for the first appointment?
    Did they talk about pap-smears? I have never had one (I know... terrible!!! Please don't judge). So, I am assuming they will expect me to do that?
    Did you talk about choosing a hospital or midwives? Or does that come later?
    Did you talk about getting a first trimester scan (between 6 - 10 weeks)? Or is that not necessary.

Sorry for the endless questions everyone! As I said... Very, very new at this. Hehe.

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews

Yeah I went to the local gp
    NO!!!! Pap smears give a high risk of miscarriage so wait until after your pregnancy (and seriously they're not that bad and are over quick so after your pregnancy once a year get 'em done its good for you lol)
    Nope he said all that will come with my ob thinking I'd get in sooner, so I have to go back but you won't. If you're worried about absolutely anything, even something small, ask! That's what they're there for.
    Last edited by αληθη; 24-11-2012 at 19:20.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to αληθη For This Useful Post:

LeeJay  (24-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Excellent! Thanks for all of the advice!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

On the pap smear question, my SIL had one when she went to gp with BFP, cos she hadn't had one in a while.

I knew I wanted to go private, so checked my health fund website and picked an obstetrician. Then I went to gp who looked at my positive tests and agreed that I was pregnant and gave me a referral for ob.

I called them straight away and made first appointment. They said usually between 7-9 weeks the ob likes to see you. And she'll do a scan in room at first appt

I don't know more than that, ob appointment on Wednesday. I haven't had a referral for bloods or anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks! We want to go private too... So this information is very helpful.

Eep! So now I am confused about whether I should or shouldn't get a pap smear now I am pregnant. Any more advice, stories or experiences from any one?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I don't have any advice on pap smears, but I can't imagine it would be very common to give them when you are pregnant?

I saw the GP at 4-5weeks, first for a blood test to confirm preg and again a few days later to confirm rising HCG levels (low the first time).
    I was then given a referral for both a dating scan at 7weeks and an NT scan and bloods at 12 weeks. I was also given a referral for an OB.
    I didn't see my OB until 14 weeks I think?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CottonCandy For This Useful Post:

LeeJay  (24-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Congratulations

I went straight to a GP when I found out. I didn't have a regular one either so I just looked up female GPs in the city near my work. It's great, I can go to appts at lunch etc.

We're going public so she did up referrals etc.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Teenz For This Useful Post:

LeeJay  (24-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Most of the ladies here have covered it all but here's what I did. Got a positive pregnancy test at 9dpo, 12dpo, 14dpo and then 16dpo. Wanted to make sure line was getting darker. Once convinced I was pregnant I went to my GP who gave me a referral for a bhCG test. Had it done and the next day he called with my results. Reading was 1237 at 17dpo so he was happy with that. Didn't do a follow up blood test though as I didn't want to stress about levels rising and what not. Went back to the GP and got a referral for an ob as I knew I wanted to go private. Made an appt with ob when I would be 9 weeks as we were going overseas. At 9 weeks saw my ob and he gave me a referral for loads of bloods and a referral for my NT scan. That was the first time I got to see bubs so ob confirmed I was 9+2 as I thought. Went and had bloods done and all good there. At 12+3 I had my NT scan and thank goodness all was perfect. Went back to ob at 13 weeks to get my results where he gave me a referral for the hospital. I'm having an elective c-section so he was great about my reasons for that which was awesome.
    Other than my long waffling post, I can't think of anything else you have to do really. Congrats on your BFP and best of luck for a happy and healthy 9 months

15. The Following User Says Thank You to FirstTimeMummy2012 For This Useful Post:

LeeJay  (24-11-2012)