+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I make the meals for my boxers as one is extremely allergic to beef. I make in a big stock pot, a bulk pack of pasta, 4 chicken breasts, half a cabbage and half a packet of carrots. Have also used frozen veg previously. There is one brand of biscuits which he doesn't react to, so I use them as well. Half the meal is biscuits, half is the home made stuff.

I use pasta instead of rice becaue they get the rice EVERYWHERE. I've discussed their meals with our vet and he's happy with what's in it.

I also found that some of the pet foods sold in the cold section of the supermarkets were off, even before the expiry date. So I didn't think it was worth the risk of making them sick.

Look forward to hearing more ideas.

Just remembered, sometimes I make like a tuna omlette with just egg, tuna and grated cheese.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Making your own dog food

I make a sort of mash of 50% meat (mainly whatever is reduced at the shops) then 25% of veg and another 25% of rice. Jasmine rice is good and it's best to go for orange or yellow veg, say carrots or pumpkin. I also cook basa fish for the dog, same proportions as able and he loves it. I often throw in a stock cube as well for flavour, it also make a nice gravy. So mug better for them than that tinned stuff or those sausages!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've discussed with our vet the raw vs cooked food for our dogs (who have very dodgy tummies) and he feels cooked is better for them to reduce chances of bacteria. They will sometimes have some raw chicken off cuts if it's very fresh, bought that day. I cook it all together so the pasta and veges get a chicken flavour.

I tried them with the raw chicken necks ages ago but it didn't work out well for them. Dogs I've had previously have enjoyed them though. But we did have to throw alot out because it would go off quick.

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by pippi View Post
    I do make my own. So much healthier for them. Mixed veggies, meat off cuts from butcher and rice or pasta. I do it every 2 weeks and put in zip lock bags in the freezer and just take one out each morning :-) I also crack and egg over her dinner once or twice a week cause its really good for their coat
    I'm planing on doing a cook up once a fortnight I will remember to do the egg thing too thanks

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm a vet nurse and asking different vets will all give you different ideas. A high quality dry food (Eukenuba, Royal Canin etc - not supermarket) should be sufficient. If you're thinking of cost saving, do look into it and make sure you're including everything needed in their diet and if you have a puppy I wouldn't risk it, I would just feed a high quality dry food while they need they right amount of calcium, fat but not too much fat etc etc it's just not worth it if you get it wrong.

Dr Billinghursts RAW BARF diet has a pretty good reputation and if you are willing to go to the effort you could by his book, learn exactly what should and shouldnt be added and make it up yourself.

Too much time and effort for me! I feed a high quality dry food every day and chicken carcasses every couple of days. Bones here and there and sardines mixed into the dry if my oldest boy is having a fussy day. They also have carrots as treats (just raw, crunch it like a bone)

Never cooked bones as the bones splinter and I've heard that cooking any type of meat removes some of the nutrients but not 100% sure on that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLadyBojangles View Post
    I'm a vet nurse and asking different vets will all give you different ideas. A high quality dry food (Eukenuba, Royal Canin etc - not supermarket) should be sufficient. If you're thinking of cost saving, do look into it and make sure you're including everything needed in their diet and if you have a puppy I wouldn't risk it, I would just feed a high quality dry food while they need they right amount of calcium, fat but not too much fat etc etc it's just not worth it if you get it wrong.

Dr Billinghursts RAW BARF diet has a pretty good reputation and if you are willing to go to the effort you could by his book, learn exactly what should and shouldnt be added and make it up yourself.

Too much time and effort for me! I feed a high quality dry food every day and chicken carcasses every couple of days. Bones here and there and sardines mixed into the dry if my oldest boy is having a fussy day. They also have carrots as treats (just raw, crunch it like a bone)

Never cooked bones as the bones splinter and I've heard that cooking any type of meat removes some of the nutrients but not 100% sure on that.
    We give our girls royal canine, lamb shanks & sardines with eggs on weekend as a treat. DP says the dogs and cat are better fed than him. Lol! They also get liver & pigs ears as treats. In summer they get watermelon and apple as treats

We also give our girls garlic capsules for fleas, glucosamine & fish oil. My last dog lived til she was 18 (not knowing how old she was when we got her).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My dog loved chicken necks and kangaroo mince with brown rice and cooked frozen veg

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    I don't believe in 'cooked meat' for dogs.

They are carnivores. They don't need tinned food etc.. Just dry food and bones.
    Dried food is actually very bad for dogs, it's full of preservatives, fillers and grains. What do you think dogs ate before dried food was invented? Table scraps. Dogs also lived longer back then than they do now. Now there are very high rates of cancers, skin problems, gastrointestinal issues, diabetes, obesity etc. I'm not saying a dog can't live a long life on kibble, but its not the best for their health and very boring for them too.
    Op I feed my dogs a raw mince (beef/kangaroo/pork or chicken) mixed with veggies and fruit in the morning, and every second evening they also get a raw chicken frame. Occasionally some fish, liver or kidneys. They love it from the research I've done raw is better than cooked in general, but that depends on the dog and how they react to it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SpicyTurtle For This Useful Post:

PR2bMum  (24-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I use Vets All Natural Complete Mix with Roo Meat from our local pet food store.

Thanks
    Reviews

I second BARF and Dr Billinghurst. I have one of his books and its very straight forward with what you should and shouldn't feed dogs and cats. his recipes are easy to follow. You can also buy pre-made BARF at a good pet food shop. I sometimes make BARF for my cat and other times I buy it. I have an excellent local pet food shop that looks like a butchers shop, full of fresh meat etc. have a look for one in your area
    Last edited by Taiyed; 24-11-2012 at 18:51.