+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Mark, very handy info.Thank you.
    Anything that is a known brand of any sort will generally have a distributor in Australia with exclusive rights to distribute the product. That means that if you are importing that product, you are probably buying from someone who isn't allowed to be selling to you so its either fake, out of date or etc.
    Would just like to point out that there is no such thing as exclusive rights for selling in Australia. You can parallel import and this is what a lot of people do. The beauty industry is rife with it. Bear in mind too that the ACCC takes a very poor view of suppliers who attempt to dictate a price and venue for sale by putting limiting conditions of sale on the products they are offloading. This is price fixing and it's illegal.

OP, if you are intending to import beauty products and especially so from Asia, you do need to get a certificate of authenticity in relation to the ingredients contained in the goods as a lot of people get burnt by Asian goods that aren't allowed to be sold in this country due to ingredients, instability of the product and bans. A shipping agent can do this for you. Also, as you are intending to private label, you must put the product through stability testing and insure yourself for product liability. Good luck with your venture!

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Importing goods from os manufacturer to redistribute in Australia?

How do you find a wholesaler in Australia?

I was trying to source some out of curiosity but not sure where/how to start.

If anyone would like to pm me to share some tips, advice or even guide me in the direction of how to find them etc, that would be great

I have heard ill things about Alibaba, DP wanted to import stuff through them but I wasn't sure what to trust etc. I don't think I would choose them. Especially not for beauty stuff. I would be worried about the quality etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Happy wanderer, there is such a thing as exclusive rights sorry. I am an importer. I think you have assumed i am referring to some Australian law. A contract for exclusive rights is between manufacturer and distributor. The manufacturer agrees they won't distribute to anyone else in a region.

This means that parallel imports are brought in by non authorised channels and there is no certainty of legitimacy, warranty or anything else.

In regards to skin products, for example,you can search eBay for 'Clarins' or whatever and find a lot of people selling the products out of china or Hong Kong etc, generally fake or old stock.

It actually really p1sses me off as people go and buy a parallel import from eBay and then try to make warranty claims from the authorised Australian distributor when their purchase is a fail.

Thanks
    Reviews

Grey, the best thing to do start by contacting the manufacturer directly. They can put you in contact with theirs distributor. The contact details are usually listed on packaging.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If anyone would like to pm me to share some tips, advice or even guide me in the direction of how to find them etc, that would be great
    I don't understand where private messaging comes into this. Isn't the point of this thread/forum to share rather than PM?

Happy wanderer, there is such a thing as exclusive rights sorry. I am an importer. I think you have assumed i am referring to some Australian law. A contract for exclusive rights is between manufacturer and distributor. The manufacturer agrees they won't distribute to anyone else in a region.

This means that parallel imports are brought in by non authorised channels and there is no certainty of legitimacy, warranty or anything else.

In regards to skin products, for example,you can search eBay for 'Clarins' or whatever and find a lot of people selling the products out of china or Hong Kong etc, generally fake or old stock.

It actually really p1sses me off as people go and buy a parallel import from eBay and then try to make warranty claims from the authorised Australian distributor when their purchase is a fail.
    Chew, I was referring to goods being imported into Australia and the law pertaining to those goods in Australia. I'm not interested in the laws enforced in other countries or licensing rights as they are not relevant to this thread. In this country you can parallel import and any such contract that expresses otherwise is in contravention of those law and not enforceable in Australia. Not everything comes from eBay and not everything from Asia is dodgy or fake. I know of many reputable businesses selling "exclusive" goods lawfully and ethically. Yes, it does annoy some people that their "exclusive" product can be legally imported from other sources but that's competition for you

Thanks
    Reviews

You said very clearly that there is no such thing as exclusive rights.

No offence but I don't think you are getting it at all.

Thanks
    Reviews

Seeing as you have completely misunderstood what I've said, I will attempt to make it clearer for you.

Lets take, for example, Medela breast pumps.

Medela has a contract with someone in every region to distribute their products. They are the exclusive distributor.

The exclusive distributor for Australia can only distribute within Australia. That is written into their contract with Medela.

They deal with warranty issues, marketing and managing the brand in Australia.

An eBay seller comes along and buys a load of Medela pumps off alibiba or amazon and sells them cheaply on eBay.

Whoever they buy the pumps from isn't authorised by Medela to sell the pumps into Australia. (This is just am example). So you are buying outside authorised channels and have no recourse if something goes wrong.

When you buy the pump, you are legally buying second hand goods and as such you have no warranty protection, no guarantee the product isn't fake or damaged or stolen, etc.

I don't actually see it as much different from pirating.

Some products, like cars for example, can successfully be imported as a grey or parallel import.

But a great deal of time when people buy skin products, electrical devices and so on through non authorised channels they aren't buying legitimate stock and/ or they have no recourse should things go wrong.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    I don't understand where private messaging comes into this. Isn't the point of this thread/forum to share rather than PM?
    Sorry I asked

Thanks
    Reviews

Anyway in relation to the op's proposal, realistically it sounds like a good one, as long as you are sure you won't get sued if someone had a reaction etc. so it sounds like you are buying a generic product and hoping to give it your own stamp... The issue is that you'd be liable if anyone had any kind of problem , you'd need to be putting product warnings and whatnot. A lot of margin gets eaten up by packaging and distribution and marketing, so when you're working out your pricing you need to factor that in. If you're only planning small scale and wht can you sell yourself then it doesn't matter as much though.

Thanks
    Reviews

Except that I'm concerned when you say a lot of manufacturers are advertising what you're after. It's not as simple as going to alibiba, searching 'skin cream' or 'Clinique' or whatever and then placing an order, because you won't have any certainty about the ingredients.