+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Importing goods from os manufacturer to redistribute in Australia?

Quote Originally Posted by Mummajugs28 View Post
    Are you looking at drop shipping or buying in bulk? Customs will charge if in bulk and over a certain amount. It's hard to answers questions when the way you have written it is a little ambiguous. Are you planning on selling a specific 'brand'? As trademark laws may apply in which case you can loose your stock completely at your cost unless product is deemed authentic. I have seen alibaba but probably wouldn't base my own business around it as it is extremely easy to set up seller accounts and scam people. If you can find a reputable supplier you shouldn't have too many issues but thats like trying to find a needle in a haystack when dealing with some countries!
    Sorry I don't know what drop shipping is.

Sorry for the ambiguity, its hard to be more detailed without giving it away.

The product is well known, but comes in many different brand names & manufactures, all slightly different. There is one manufacturer that sells a lot of their own branded product on eBay. But they also sell it wholesale unbranded, allowing you to put your own label on it. So their not a fake, their not trying to mimic another brand.

Does that help?

There is a lady who has done this & set up a nice little business, which is what gave me the idea plus I also use the product myself. It's based in Vic, I'm in qld. She is selling the product as her own brand. So I'm yet to determine if there is adequate market for it up here, as I would be a competitor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snooze View Post
    Sorry I don't know what drop shipping is.
    Drop Shipping is where you buy from the manufacturer/wholesaler and get them to send it to the buyer on your behalf.

I would recommend against drop shipping particularly internationally as I have heard a lot of people having issues with their drop shipper...not packaged adequately, product not exactly the same, etc.

Also if you are selling on eBay its difficult to drop ship as eBay has certain requirements for postage. For example, if you are in Vic for example eBay expects that an item would only take a couple of days from Vic to NSW but if you are drop shippng from China it can take 2 weeks and you will lose points in your postage time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also Alibaba is good....DP uses them a lot in his business (printing) for papers, ink, etc.

You just need to make sure you get a good dealer.

I was going to go through Alibaba to get some bulk hoodies and was in the process of getting some samples done but didnt go through with it as I no longer needed it.

I sell on eBay (have my own store) but use a wholesaler based in VIC where I get all my stuff. So they have already gone through the whole customs, shipping stuff. I then place my orders daily with them....I get my stuff the next day....repackage and send the items individually. I dont brand the stuff as my own...just that I sell the goods. It works really well and I have a great repoire with my wholesaler.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyDucks View Post
    Drop Shipping is where you buy from the manufacturer/wholesaler and get them to send it to the buyer on your behalf.

I would recommend against drop shipping particularly internationally as I have heard a lot of people having issues with their drop shipper...not packaged adequately, product not exactly the same, etc.

Also if you are selling on eBay its difficult to drop ship as eBay has certain requirements for postage. For example, if you are in Vic for example eBay expects that an item would only take a couple of days from Vic to NSW but if you are drop shippng from China it can take 2 weeks and you will lose points in your postage time.
    Ok thanks, not interested in drop shipping. I need it to come straight to me. I'll keep the stock, rebrand it, post etc

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyDucks View Post
    Also Alibaba is good....DP uses them a lot in his business (printing) for papers, ink, etc.

You just need to make sure you get a good dealer.

I was going to go through Alibaba to get some bulk hoodies and was in the process of getting some samples done but didnt go through with it as I no longer needed it.

I sell on eBay (have my own store) but use a wholesaler based in VIC where I get all my stuff. So they have already gone through the whole customs, shipping stuff. I then place my orders daily with them....I get my stuff the next day....repackage and send the items individually. I dont brand the stuff as my own...just that I sell the goods. It works really well and I have a great repoire with my wholesaler.
    What do you sell? Do you mind saying?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nah...dont mind

I do a lot of printing on clothes so things like Hoodies, T-Shirts, Bags, Workwear, Caps, etc and it occured to me that these are good quality items that why wouldnt people just buy them without a print!

So the eBay store kinda runs along side my printing business...but I dont sell printed clothes....just plain items.

With anything on eBay if you can find that one thing that noone else has or that other people havent marketed it well...you really could make a bomb. The only thing is that there is sooooo much stuff on eBay and a lot of stuff from China it is hard to make yourself seen.
    Last edited by FluffyDucks; 25-11-2012 at 12:39. Reason: added more :)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default a different view on Alibaba.com

Hi everyone,

My name is Mark and I am international corporate affairs director at Alibaba Group. I appreciate everyone's opinion on this forum.

I'd like to disabuse those of you who have participated that all of the goods on Alibaba are fake or is it a scam. Of course I am biased, but I can assure you that this is not the case.

Like any online venture, if you are looking to source products online, especially from another country, you want to go with suppliers who have been verified and checked out - thoroughly. We offer a few different ways of ensuring that you can find the right supplier:

1) A&V Check: A&V Checked suppliers are Gold Suppliers who have passed authentication and verification inspection by Alibaba.com as well as a third-party verification company. All legal business licenses and contact persons are verified for those who have been A&V Checked.

2) Onsite check: Onsite Check is a verification process for China Gold Suppliers. Personnel from Alibaba.com visit suppliers’ premises to verify ownership of the premises. The suppliers’ legal status and other related information are then confirmed by a third party verification agency. Moreover, Gold Suppliers may also offer a more in-depth verification called "Supplier Assessment." Supplier Assessment helps identify a China Gold Supplier’s production and trade capabilities. All Assessed Suppliers have been inspected onsite by an established third-party certification company, and offer detailed Assessment Reports, Verified Videos and Verified Main Products.

Finally, in the event that a buyer is defrauded, Alibaba has established something called the "Fair Play Fund" - http://www.alibaba.com/help/safety_s...play_fund.html. This fund helps to offset a portion of losses suffered by small business buyers defrauded by suppliers who paid to list on the Alibaba.com platform.

Finally, if you are interested in an Australian perspective, check out this video by Tessa Hartnett, an Aussie who has been a successful store owner on Alibaba for some time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdYn6fiwM8w

Best regards,
    Mark Story

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkAlibaba For This Useful Post:

happy wanderer  (27-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Importing goods from os manufacturer to redistribute in Australia?

That's bollocks mark, if you go and search a brand name like 'Medela breast pump' or 'Nike' or 'ipod. etc then 100% of results will be fake. The vast majority of sellers are unverified.

Alibaba are great to find a wholesale manufacturer of something like paper or bandages etc but a great deal of people get this idea that they can buy a known product for cheap and sell it on eBay.

You only have to look in the forums to see how many people are ripped off.

I would never myself buy skin cream to sell off alibiba as I have no knowledge or ability to find out about the conditions under which the Product is produced, the ingredients, quality control or etc, if the product complies with Australian regulations, etc.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Importing goods from os manufacturer to redistribute in Australia?

Ps I am not blaming you for this, but you can't deny a lot of fakes and scams can be found

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for the info Mark