+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Importing goods from os manufacturer to redistribute in Australia?

I'm thinking about starting up my own business selling beauty products (I don't want to give away the name or type sorry). I'll be selling through eBay, direct website, partys & at local markets.

I'm just wondering how I go about importing from the manufacturer & then redistributing here.

I've heard of the website Alibaba, but I don't know anything about it or how it works. There seems to be lots of manufactures advertising what I'm after.

Has anyone done this before? Do you have any tips?
    What are the laws about importing goods from os?
    Is there anything special I need to know?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are looking into doing the same thing and my husband said alibaba was terrible as I was telling him I found it. I actually ended up having to block it as even after I unsubscribed they still kept sending rubbish continually about a product I searched for once. I think a lot of the sellers are from Asia?
    my uncle does it and a friend but we haven't worked out the ins and outs yet as you have asked. DH was looking to head over to china with my uncle next year and visit some trade shows, you can then make contacts and meet agents who will deal with wherever you are buying from for a small commission. Sorry I am not very helpful! Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What country are you looking at importing from?

Thanks
    Reviews

Are you looking at drop shipping or buying in bulk? Customs will charge if in bulk and over a certain amount. It's hard to answers questions when the way you have written it is a little ambiguous. Are you planning on selling a specific 'brand'? As trademark laws may apply in which case you can loose your stock completely at your cost unless product is deemed authentic. I have seen alibaba but probably wouldn't base my own business around it as it is extremely easy to set up seller accounts and scam people. If you can find a reputable supplier you shouldn't have too many issues but thats like trying to find a needle in a haystack when dealing with some countries!

Thanks
    Reviews

Any brand name beauty products on ail baba will be fake

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (24-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Subbing. I have been looking into this for a while too (but not beauty items)
    Alibaba is very hit n miss, and sometimes even dodgy. My dp has ordered stuff from there before but not consistently.
    I can't think of the name of the other website I was looking into, but I ordered some things and it was also hit n miss. These were from an Asian country.
    If you tell then you are looking to open a business, most will send you a sample (at cost price) something I wanted was minimums of 500, but they sent me a 5 pack for trial.
    It's hard, I've been looking into this for a while and I feel stuck. The only decent stuff I can find for me is from within Australia already so is more expensive. Therefore, you don't make much $$$ if you are trying to keep your items cheap.
    I'd be very careful with beauty products, just do lots of research.
    Hopefully someone can help the both of us

Thanks
    Reviews

I don't really understand what you're asking.

If you import more than $1000 value you need to pay GST, customs duty and charges, will prob add 20% to your costs not incl shipping.

80% of stuff on alibiba and certainly 99.99% stuff of brand name stuff will be fake.

If you import anything making any kind of therapeutic or medicinal claim the product needs to be registered with the tga which costs $850 rego fee then $890 per year.

Anything that is a known brand of any sort will generally have a distributor in Australia with exclusive rights to distribute the product. That means that if you are importing that product, you are probably buying from someone who isn't allowed to be selling to you so its either fake, out of date or etc.

As the direct importer of a product you are deemed the manufacturer so will be liable for any legal claims if the product is faulty, causes harm, or etc.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

happy wanderer  (27-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

What will happen though if you've manage to find a new product not known in Australia that is legit and quality etc, and make any headway selling it on eBay etc is that someone bigger than you will notice , go to your manufacturer and ask for exclusive rights

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

Lovemyfam  (24-11-2012),Maybelline  (24-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Sorry for the depressing answers lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Check insurance costs as pp has mentioned you will be deemed to be the manufacturer of the product and liable for damages if there is a problem with the products.