+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Day time sleeps a problem

Hi, I have a 10 month old boy who has been a bad sleeper for months. I have done controlled crying with him 2 months ago which was a success at night and he now sleeps from 7pm to 5.45am but his day time sleeps are terrible. He will cry anywhere from 10 minutes to half an hour before he settles and sleep for anything from 10 minutes up until 30 minutes. I can tell he wants more because he wakes up cranky and if we are in the car or his pram he can sleep for 2 hours. Can anyone give me any suggestions on how to settle him better so he sleeps longer or know of anyone that comes to your home on the gold coast that can help. Does the government offer a free service for this or do you normally have to pay someone?
    Look forward to some replies. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

How long is he awake for between sleeps? Could he be not tired enough or overtired?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am not sure if your bub still fit a swing but they are fantastic. When I get desperate with my bub (he's a good sleeper ATM but occasionally cranky), he's only 6 weeks, I put him into the Bright Starts swing and he happily sits down and also sleeps up to 2 hours.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by MinnieMouse81 View Post
    How long is he awake for between sleeps? Could he be not tired enough or overtired?
    ^ This. Or he could be hungry. I found both reasons caused my DD to catnap from 4 through 7 months of age.

Once I got her awake times sorted she would still catnap, so I started offering a bottle before her naps and a week later she was self settling and napping longer.

EternalOptimist is offline Never say you have failed until you have reached your last attempt; never say you have reached your last attempt until you have succeeded.
    Thanks
    Reviews

The government do have services available free of charge to assist with sleeping & settling. You just need to speak to your early childhood nurse/GP and get them to give u a referral.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If he's in the pram could you give him a quick push to sleep and leave him or does he only sleep 2 hours if it's constantly moving? If all he needs is a push to settle him then I'd say do that, especially because he's fine at night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by captainscaptain View Post
    If he's in the pram could you give him a quick push to sleep and leave him or does he only sleep 2 hours if it's constantly moving? If all he needs is a push to settle him then I'd say do that, especially because he's fine at night.
    Yep this! Dd1 went thru a phase like this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all your replies. I will try the bottle before sleep and see if that helps. he is a big baby so he could be hungry. he generally has 3 hours between naps but a bit longer after his afternoon nap and before bed if he only cat naps. he has grown out of his swing now but thats where all this trouble started i think as he slept well when he was a baby then we introduced the swing and when at home he slept in it for his day sleeps for 90mins and now he is so used to movement during the day its hard to break that habit.